Equipment: Skate socks

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Hi guys!

I usually wear Reebok skate socks (don't know what their full product name is), but after like half the game, my feet start to freeze off, and by the end of the game I can't feel my toes anymore. Obviously depends on the rink, in the WHL arena it's okay because it's much warmer. So I was wondering what you guys wear and how you like it. What brand/kind of skate socks or just normal socks? What's even the benefit of skate socks?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Sure that's not a circulatory problem either physical or being laced too tight?

Not sure about others, but I'm positively steaming hot everywhere when and after playing, figuratively and literally.

I wear Bauer compression longs down to just above the ankles with Elite Hockey socks, not sure of the model, but they're paper thin.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Sure that's not a circulatory problem either physical or being laced too tight?

Not sure about others, but I'm positively steaming hot everywhere when and after playing, figuratively and literally.

I wear Bauer compression longs down to just above the ankles with Elite Hockey socks, not sure of the model, but they're paper thin.

I wear Nike pro combat compression longs down to just above the ankles and the Reebok skate socks. I sweat playing hockey more than doing anything else. When I take my helmet off you see the steam rising up from my head but yet, my feet are frozen. I don't know about my skates being laced to tight but now that you said it, my feet do seem to get cold a lot, even when I'm not playing hockey and the rest of my body is fairly warm. So it could be some kind of physical problem then but I don't know... Never thought about that...

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Not a doctor, but pretty sure the huge sweating in hockey gear or sweating during any form of exertion or exercise is a result of the body regulating an increasing temperature.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Not a doctor, but pretty sure the huge sweating in hockey gear or sweating during any form of exertion or exercise is a result of the body regulating an increasing temperature.

Really? I always thought my body had its own built in shower.... The point is, my feet are still extremely cold, not not hot like when I go running for example. So I was wondering if the socks could be a reason for that.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I thought some guys play without any socks; and they're so thin I'm not sure skate socks would or should have any impact on the temperature of the feet, not when wrapped up tight in a skate.

That said, I'd be keen to know if high end skates with the holes or vents in the bottom of the boot actually have any impact on the feet or if they're largely a gimmick.

jesaku

Nov 2, 2004
You're probably tying your skates too tight.
Try lacing them a bit looser in the toes area, which doesn't need to be very tight anyways.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Try lacing them a bit looser in the toes area, which doesn't need to be very tight anyways.

This.

It's not a sock problem...It's a circulatory problem.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
This.

It's not a sock problem...It's a circulatory problem.

exactly, don't look for skate socks to really keep you warm down there.

you should experience a similar hot feeling in the skates as you do when you're running.

maybe try loosening up the skates or see a doctor?

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago

I was always taught that the correct way to tie your skates was tight on the horizontal eyelets and loose(er) on the vertical eyelets. So my opinion is try tightening toward the toes and loosening towards the top above your ankle..

jesaku

Nov 2, 2004
For me it's looser toes, tighter heel for heel lock, personal preference up top.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I was always taught that the correct way to tie your skates was tight on the horizontal eyelets and loose(er) on the vertical eyelets. So my opinion is try tightening toward the toes and loosening towards the top above your ankle..

Are you a bender? literally :laugh::D

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I usually go as tight as possible except for the top, which I like a little loose for flexibility. So that may actually be a reason. Thanks for your help!

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Are you a bender? literally :laugh::D

Nope. Actually of you look at pictures of nhl players there are some that don't even tie the top eyelets..

It's strange actually, my dad had the same opinion, loose on bottom, tight on top, but he was told otherwise by Chris Chelios(he coaches for the sabres now, they're right down the street from me). And the more and more I see, the better skates tend to tie their skates the same way.. tight on bottom to lock your heel, losseish on top, but only just enough to allow your skates tongue to lean forward without any interference from the boot itself.

One of the coaches I work with, Jerry (head coach of DePaul) skates with the top three eyelets undone because he finds the best forward flex that way.

Plus, if you tie the top too tight you don't get enough knee bend..

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Nope. Actually of you look at pictures of nhl players there are some that don't even tie the top eyelets..
I don't tie use the top eyelet either. I thought you meant real tight by the toes and not much from the middle on up.

aguynamedjoe

May 27, 2013
Chicago
I'll agree that the cold feet is a circulation/lacing/fit problem more than a sock problem, but I thought I'd pitch in that I love using soccer socks that come up to/over the knee. Keeps a base layer between my skin and shin pads, and I genuinely believe that helps keep the stink down. I try and keep a base layer between my skin and all my pads, the barrier/absorption keeps out the oil/bacteria and as long as I air out after every skate my gear stays a whole lot better smelling than some of the guys on my team...

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Actually the laces should be tightest around the middle (or slightly higher) eyelets for good heel lock, slightly looser below that to avoid cutting circulation, and also a bit looser at the top to allow for flexing forward.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
It might be a circulatory problem.

But also, try wearing cotton socks. Products that wick can sometimes make you feel cold because of all the moisture that isn't absorbed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad