Skate Sizing Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
I know this topic is usually beat to death, but i have a semi unique situation and a couple questions for guys who've actually been skating a while. I recently got back into hockey at the age of 27, and since i was not sure I'd play alot or whatever, i bought a 50 dollar pair of skates; Easton EQ's. My question is, i know the skates are a little too big, because my toe still has a half inch or more to go till touching the end, but i seem to get good support in my ankle. I also have been having some lace bite issues, even though i stopped lacing to the top eyelets and go a step down. Am i just lacing too hard there? I know my skates are ****** compared to a good quality pair, and if need be im willing to drop up to 400 on a new pair, since i have started playing 4-5 times a week at drop-in. The lace bite thing just kills my concentration, and i always wonder if I"d get better balance and what not on skates with a more snug fit. Any help is much appreciated from this aspiring hockey noob, Thanks:help:

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Get a new pair of skates professionally fitted for you. You will be glad you did.

1dude

Aug 26, 2008
California
if ur playing 4 to 5 times a week drop the 400 or what to get the best fitting and performing skates possible...u won't look back. DO it.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
So that being said, any thoughts from you guys on the RBK 6k pump skates? There is a killer deal on hockeymonkey.com right now, but If the 8k's are significantly better i'll look at them instead. I plan on trying on all these in a shop first of course.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Don't buy skates on the Internet unless you have already owned a pair and know they're right for you. Get professionally fitted at a LHS, make sure you know your foot and the right skate for you, buy it locally and then when you need a new pair, you'll be able to do the Internet thing with confidence.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
Ok so i did go into a shop and tried on skates from all major brands, and decided on the RBK's anyways. I normally would have decided to just buy them from the shop, but i had a semi bad experience. Not sure if any of you other guys have had this experience, but the guy helping me at the shop seemed irritated at even helping me. Just had this dead look on his face and was very hurried in my skate sizing process. At one point, on the last pair of skates i tried on, he literally untied my right skate for me while i was doing the left one, like i was going too slow or something. That shop lost my skate purchase that day, because being a noob to hockey is crappy enough without feeling "looked down upon" by people that should be the ones helping you and making sure you get what you need.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You can definitely buy skates online as there is enough info to figure out the size you need. I have no choice as I live in the middle east.

I have the RBK 9ks and I love them. Great skates and very light. My only complaint is the tongue are thin and have torn at the edge and the edges have curled in a bit.

Parrish

Apr 2, 2004
Decatur; Indiana
Well you are passed the hardest part. You have admitted you have a problem. I have a friend who refuses to believe me that his skating problems are linked to his to big skates.

Try on a new pair of skates a size or two below the ones you have. while standing up the toes should touch the end of the boot, while leaing forward (as if your skating) they should not touch. Repeatedly try one pair after another going down a size untill you feel this perfect fit.

Also a couple of notes

1: Each manufacterer runs a bit different in terms of width. If you have a wide foot you may want to go with ccm/reebok a skinny foot bauer/nike. Graf skates are typically heavier, but are bulletproof and comfortable.

2: It doesn't matter if you spend 400 or 100. If the skate doesnt fit perfectly it's for not.

3: ALWAYS ask if they have any clearanced out skates. Somtimes you get lucky and they have last years model in the back for half the price. These will look different but be the same quality.

4: Buy waxed laces. These laces will keep the skate tighter in the right places while not "bunching" the laces up cauing "lace nip".

5: If you are forced to buy online make sure you go to a website with free return shipping so you can swap em out if you dont like the fit. Total hockey offers this for premium members ( along with a free $60 gift card) . Premium membership is $40 so they basically pay you $20 to be a member.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
Ok, just got my new skates, baked them, and tried out the pump thing. All i can cay is holy ****ing **** i feel like they are a part of my foot, and i have not even stepped on the ice yet! I feel like a little kid on christmas morning because of the insane amount of support my ankles have in these things. Pardon my rambles, just venting my excitement at having a perfectly fitting pair of good skates:handclap:

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
Ok, just got my new skates, baked them, and tried out the pump thing. All i can cay is holy ****ing **** i feel like they are a part of my foot, and i have not even stepped on the ice yet! I feel like a little kid on christmas morning because of the insane amount of support my ankles have in these things. Pardon my rambles, just venting my excitement at having a perfectly fitting pair of good skates:handclap:

You didn't use the pump within 24 hours of baking them did you? Your not supposed to, and make sure you don't forget to have them sharpened.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
You didn't use the pump within 24 hours of baking them did you? Your not supposed to, and make sure you don't forget to have them sharpened.

Uhh, yeah i guess i was too excited to notice that tidbit of info, i should have payed more attention. And i already got them sharpened in anticipation for early morning skate tomorrow:yo:

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
Ok, so i have a long ranting list to go over here:

I usually get my crappy easton skates sharpened to 7/16th hollow, and they are perfect after that. Used my new 6K's this morning for the first time at drop in, had them sharpened a couple days ago also at 7/16th, and they were so ****ing sharp it was almost impossible to skate. does blade quality or anything else factor in to this insane difference in feel based on two different pairs of skates? Just for reference, I am 6'2 and about 200lbs, so i know that 7/16ths is considered sharp for my weight.

Secondly, the 6K's are super stiff which feels awesome off the ice, but when i got on, even after waasting 20 min of drop in getting them resharpened to 1/2 inch, it felt like my first time skating...ever. I know they pitch forward a bit more, but i think i've ended up just adapting to a flimsy skate, and now that i have supportive skates i am useless on the ice.

Someone tell me i'm not crazy, or if there is something i should know switching from a 50 dollar pair of skates to the 6K's. As of right now i feel like i have to almost learn to skate over again with these things. Any help is much appreciated, thanks:help:

Hockey Noob

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
There definitely is an adjustment period, but as long as you bought a skate that's sized correctly and fits properly, there shouldn't be any issues in the long run. As for your sharpening, perhaps it's due to the fact that your steel hasn't been ground down as much as your older pair and thus more blade is in contact with the ice; combined with that hollow and well, I suppose more bite as a whole. Then again, maybe your sharpener messed up.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
I'm gonna make a wild guess and say that your old skates had been sharpened a thousand times and the radius was very short, while your new skates are a much longer radius. They feel like barges, can't turn them, can't control the edge like you could the old ones. Am I correct?

If so, get them profiled to a 9' radius.

I skate on a 9' radius and when I tried skating on new Graf blades at an 11' radius, I literally could not skate on them at all. I could not believe the difference. Had them profiled and everything was fine. In my case, my old blades had been sharpened so much, the radius had dropped to about a 7 and there was tons of rocker as well, so it made the difference even bigger.

Also, until you really break the skate in, the boot is likely going to feel very stiff and less responsive than your old, fully broken in skate.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
Actually, my old skates really are not "old". I've only had them sharpened like 3-4 times, and have only used them for around 3 months. So unless the skates come with two different radii initially, there shouldnt be an issue. I should probably check though, because skating today with the new RBK's was like skating with casts on my feet that had blades on the bottom. I probably just need to adjust to the vast difference in stiffness and support, and I'm thinking about going down to 5/8 hollow seeing as how these skates seem to be way sharper at any given cut than my old ones. All i know is i'm sad i my skating "talent" took a hit today :cry:

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Find out what the radius is on the skate. Some skates come with a longer radius than others and a longer radius will feel very, very different. Simple check; take the blades off of your old skates and compare them to your new ones.

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
Ok...so my 6'ks have a 10' radius, and the steel on the eastons doesn't even come off, its like bonded into the plastic with not a bolt in sight anywhere. Based on my amateur test of setting them down on a wooden table with a light behind, im guessing the eastons have a 9' radius; just slightly less blade touching. So i guess i just need to not be a nancy and skate/fall till they feel right. I notice the boot on the RBK's is slighty more forward leaning, so i'll just get used to it i suppose.

alan60

May 8, 2009
Bedford, Nova Scotia
I know this topic is usually beat to death, but i have a semi unique situation and a couple questions for guys who've actually been skating a while. I recently got back into hockey at the age of 27, and since i was not sure I'd play alot or whatever, i bought a 50 dollar pair of skates; Easton EQ's. My question is, i know the skates are a little too big, because my toe still has a half inch or more to go till touching the end, but i seem to get good support in my ankle. I also have been having some lace bite issues, even though i stopped lacing to the top eyelets and go a step down. Am i just lacing too hard there? I know my skates are ****** compared to a good quality pair, and if need be im willing to drop up to 400 on a new pair, since i have started playing 4-5 times a week at drop-in. The lace bite thing just kills my concentration, and i always wonder if I"d get better balance and what not on skates with a more snug fit. Any help is much appreciated from this aspiring hockey noob, Thanks:help:

I would say these were not the best to buy, they have to be stiff enough to give good support and as well you should feel your toes feather the toe cap when put on. Once you lace them up the foot is pulled back and locked in place by the heel if they are the right length (as explained) and width. You probaly can over come the lace bite. I find this usually happens when someone buy skates and the holders have a low pitch, meaning you are sitting flat or back a bit with your center of gravity and as you try and skate you have to overcome that problem holder by getting a pitch change on your blade. Tell your experienced sharpener what you want and go one step at a time for pitch changes. Suddenly you will see that you are more in s forward stance and be able to overcome the resistance of getting yourself off and skating as you are already leaning forward. This takes away the trouble with the lace bite, your slow starts and the perhaps your boxy feeling of the toes, meaning hard to get your feet over one another for a quick start. You have skates that are too long I can see at least there that lace bite will occur. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad