Skate repair/upgrade

inthemix

Mar 13, 2009
Columbus
So I have some 652 tacks I bought about 18 years ago or so. They have been there since the high school days, and I still play with them in the adult leagues. You know how old they are becuase they have the old Rebook "pump" from the 90's.

The problem: the blade holders (white part) has started to crack on both skates. Maybe its the age of the skates, or maybe it's me getting fat. But, we will keep that conversation for another time.

The question: I was told by the local hockey store that they could basicly attach a new blade holder and blade to the skates. They would have to drill some new holes and what not. The blades come from a brand new CCM model.

Has anyone ever had this kind of work done on their skates? How did they ride afterwards?

I think my only other option is to track down some old used blade holders and blades- but that will prove time consuming, and more costly even.

I am NOT considering new skates becuase I love my old boots so much. THey are like riding on clouds. That, and why spend the cash when you don't have to...

Thanks!

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
While I've never had that done I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. I've heard of people who prefer the boot of one manufacturer with the holder from another and have the swap done. it usually requires drilling new holes etc. If you love the boot so much, go for it.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I would just put new holders on the tuuk ls2 would work well and you might be able to go to play it again and find a set of skates with the right size LS2 holders for cheeper than buying a new set.

I would go back to the people who offered to make the repair because it sounds like they know what they are doing. Just make sure you know your blade profile and size.

My Vapor 9.25 XXXXs have 288 holders while my newer 9 XXXXs have a 280 holders.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
It's a standard process that any compitent shop can do. Very run of the mill. Of course, its durability lies in the condition of the boots, more specifically soles. If they have the direct replacements, no drilling is necessary, if not, TUUKS are a great option. Just remember: Custom + are neutral while LS2s are pitched forward.

Edit: 'tracking down' used holders probably would be cheaper and and less work done with the skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad