Skate boot hitting ice when cornering.

Scotty Malone

Jan 4, 2011
Hey guys.

i was hoping someone could help me out with a problem I'm having.

Problem is..when I'm taking hard corners the boot of my skate will touch the ice. Both the inside and outside of both skates (depending which way I'm turning) around the ball of my foot. I would like to be able to corner faster but cant get any lower. Would Tuuk's or profiling maybe help to keep the boot my skates from rubbing on the ice?

I wear U+ reloaded, use 90/75 FBV

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
How worn are your blades? Maybe they aren't tall enough anymore and you need new ones?

Otherwise, you could have shims installed between your blade holder and the boot. I remember seeing a closeup of Saku Koivu's skates and he had pretty thick shims, around 1/4 of an inch. That would get you more angle.
koivuskates.jpg

Last edited:

Scotty Malone

Jan 4, 2011
I can assure you it has nothing to do with weak ankles. I can out skate most people without tying my skates.

My blades are new. Been sharpened about 10 times. The pair of skates I used before the U+'s were tacks 752's. This didn't happen to them until I was about halfway though the steel though.

Maybe shims might be the answer! Thanks man.

Scotty Malone

Jan 4, 2011
Totally makes sense though.

Looks like he wears the same skate with the same holder.

Maybe Koivu has weak ankles too..lol;)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Tuuks would only help if they keep the boot higher, shouldn't be hard to take your skates into a shop, look at a bunch of different holders and see if any are taller than the CCM holders you currently have. I don't think you'll see a significant difference, but it is possible I suppose. Otherwise the shims as suggested could potentially work. You could also consider a change in technique, as most NHL players wear pretty standard skates and don't have this problem.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I encountered this when I switched from my old Graf's to new Bauer's. I think I self-corrected and now it doesn't happen very much but still sometimes. It was never an issue in my old skates, not sure why it's happening in the new ones for me

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
It also happened to me when I switched from 752 Tacks with the Prolite3 holder to RBK with the E-Pro holder. The E-Pro holder is not as tall as the Prolite3, especially at the front tower to give it more forward pitch. I just adjusted my skating to lean a bit less, though.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I get the boot rubbing on the ice from time to time with my XXXXs and Tuuk LS2s. I'm not sure that I'm ready for shims.

Blades are profiled 25/50.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I can assure you it has nothing to do with weak ankles. I can out skate most people without tying my skates.

My blades are new. Been sharpened about 10 times. The pair of skates I used before the U+'s were tacks 752's. This didn't happen to them until I was about halfway though the steel though.

Maybe shims might be the answer! Thanks man.

Do you have extra wide skates? The skate holders are often not correctly aligned on the skate, even on high end skates. For this to show up on full (new) blades is unusual, but not rare for someone who can really use their edges.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
Do you have extra wide skates? The skate holders are often not correctly aligned on the skate, even on high end skates. For this to show up on full (new) blades is unusual, but not rare for someone who can really use their edges.

That's an interesting point. I got EE width skates (coming from Graf N, which I assume is narrow since there's a sticker with "N" under the skate) maybe that's why I'm encountering this issue myself.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ

Yeah my skates are EE too.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I have the same issue on my right-skate.
Recently switched from CCM's to Eastons (EE width).

It doesn't happen all the time, but on occasions where I really dig in on a hard corner, I feel the boot scrape the ice.
I guess it's just me and I'll have to adjust how I turn corners.

ki11joy

Aug 28, 2007
Are you talking about the black strips on Koivu's skate? Those are velcro strips to hold the shot block protector in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad