SKA vs CSKA - biggest series ever?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Would you agree that this upcoming series has the biggest hype ever in the KHL? both teams have great squads, both teams hate each other and both teams are favorites to win the cup.

I think it's going to be an insane series with tons of controversies

loppa*

Would you agree that this upcoming series has the biggest hype ever in the KHL?

Sorry, this is not a russian forum, the people have not hyped up any series other than jokerit vs anyone. There are russians on here, but they are too few in my opinion. :( Hence what may be common on a russian board is not really heard to such extent here.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Sorry, this is not a russian forum, the people have not hyped up any series other than jokerit vs anyone. There are russians on here, but they are too few in my opinion. :( Hence what may be common on a russian board is not really heard to such extent here.

I believe you don't have to be Russian to feel the magnitude of this upcoming clash . Two teams that dominated the regular season finally meet each other . Their games this season were very intense.

Not to mention Kovy frustration when anyone mentions CSKA. There's some bad blood.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Biggest conference finals? Probably
Biggest series? It would require that they met in the Gagarin Cup finals, which unfortunately will not happen

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
for me its not such exiting. This will need -

- more promo
- more history background (how they played in regular season, how many stars changed this both teams ...)
- and especially some decisive and spectacular moment in the history, what will give this series much more twist (like it was between Red Wings and Avalanche in the 90s).

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Anyone who watched any of their games in this season only, knows this is a great rivalry, both teams having one of Russia's superstars, two major cities. Yeah it's not GC finals but it's as good as it gets.

alce*

It's not even the GC finals...

So what? It's too soon to talk about how big or even good this series will be, but I'm sure not being GC final couldn't diminish it.

Many Russian football fans remember the cup semifinal of 2011 between CSKA and Spartak. Fantastic game, one of the best games of last years in Russian football. Someone gives a **** that it wasn't final game? I doubt it.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Yeah i don't want to underestimate eastern teams but you might compare this match up to last years NHL playoff western conference finals between LA Kings and Chicago Blackhawks. Again i am not familiar with regular season stats between these teams but i would easily bet my money on the west.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Would you agree that this upcoming series has the biggest hype ever in the KHL? both teams have great squads, both teams hate each other and both teams are favorites to win the cup.

I think it's going to be an insane series with tons of controversies

Nope. Your western conference bias makes you blind to the fact the East is deeper, has more storied rivalries and so on.

This series is nothing compared to the Green Wars. Just another time everybody except will be pulling for SKA to lose.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I might watch this.

I would put my money on CSKA but I kinda want SKA to win this more.
CSKA needs to get all of Da Costa, Nemec, Andronov and Enqvist back to win this series. SKA has better players and depth than CSKA. CSKA was playing a freaking Igor Makarov as their 2nd line center in the last game against Jokerit. The same Makarov who could not crack the SKA line up at the start of the season.

Kvartalnov is a great coach and he has created a great system for this team, but SKA has way more skill, physique and depth than Jokerit. This will be a far bigger test for CSKA.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
CSKA needs to get all of Da Costa, Nemec, Andronov and Enqvist back to win this series. SKA has better players and depth than CSKA. CSKA was playing a freaking Igor Makarov as their 2nd line center in the last game against Jokerit. The same Makarov who could not crack the SKA line up at the start of the season.

Kvartalnov is a great coach and he has created a great system for this team, but SKA has way more skill, physique and depth than Jokerit. This will be a far bigger test for CSKA.
I value team play more than superstars especially in playoffs. That's why I think CSKA is the favourite here but it will be not walk in the park for them.

Jokerit headcoach called CSKA the best club in Europe after the series.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I value team play more than superstars especially in playoffs. That's why I think CSKA is the favourite here but it will be not walk in the park for them.
SKA does not have a bad team play at all. Their best line Dadonov-Shipachyov-Panarin has great chemistry, and even the unperforming line Tikhonov-MÃ¥rtensson-Thoresen started to find its groove in the last games in Dynamo series.

Belov-Chudinov on SKA defense is also better than anything CSKA can come up with.

CSKA needs to get their injured players back. Otherwise they have to play the likes of Bondarev, Mamin, Zhafyarov and Kvartalnov (head coach's son Nikita) too much.

Jokerit headcoach called CSKA the best club in Europe after the series.
I know he did but it feels better to lose against "the best club in Europe" than against just a "good club". :)

IAM

Sep 3, 2014
I predict a 7 game series

I predict 5 game series. CSKA was better on every level and CSKA keep doing all their goals in front of net. Also in front of their own net CSKA is too strong for SKA.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
It will be great series for sure. I hope CSKA learned physicality from Jokerit games and brings it against SKA. Physical grinding (with seemingly high skill too) and heart is what Finnish team adds to KHL imo.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Jokerit tried to outplay them with physical aspect of the game and some times did and had full controll, but lacked bit of luck and scoring in the end. Not that it was luck as a whole, CSKA is hell of a team, top 20 club team in the world wouldn't be too much said (it means I think they might beat many NHL teams).

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Biggest series ever. Dont know what promos are like in Russia or what the mood is, but the series does have a pumped up feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad