SKA Petersburg thread.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
When will Shesty get the starting goalie spot? He's done pretty well this season, and seems to be getting more playing time recently. Has the coach said anything about the goalie position?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
When will Shesty get the starting goalie spot? He's done pretty well this season, and seems to be getting more playing time recently. Has the coach said anything about the goalie position?

You are asking when will SKA let 20 year-old kid who has proven nothing in his career yet start over the guy who was league's best goalie last 2 seasons and won the cup for them in his prime years. Hmm, tough one.

But after great deal of thought I came to a "obviously not going to happen" conclusion.

This is pretty much the equivalent of me coming to Rangers board last year and asking when are you going to give Talbot starter's job already.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
You are asking when will SKA let 20 year-old kid who has proven nothing in his career yet start over the guy who was league's best goalie last 2 seasons and won the cup for them in his prime years. Hmm, tough one.

But after great deal of thought I came to a "obviously not going to happen" conclusion.

This is pretty much the equivalent of me coming to Rangers board last year and asking when are you going to give Talbot starter's job already.

Did you watched full CSKA:SKA match yesterday ?
It would end not 4:2 but 7:2 if Koskinen was in net.

Shestyorkin let 4 goals in actually only 3 because of his stupid teammates like Belov and Kovalchuk.
And he stopped 37-40 shots.

Just watch CSKA`s 3 goal you will see.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Did you watched full CSKA:SKA match yesterday ?
It would end not 4:2 but 7:2 if Koskinen was in net.

Shestyorkin let 4 goals in actually only 3 because of his stupid teammates like Belov and Kovalchuk.
And he stopped 37-40 shots.

Just watch CSKA`s 3 goal you will see.

So you are making some kind of case for Shestyorkin because he played 1 good game? And frankly, he has played more than 1 good game this season, still don't understand what's that supposed to mean.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've watched a few of his games. I thought he's been pretty good this season, and I think he is playing better than the other goalies from what I've watched.

You can talk all you want about the age and accomplishments of the other goalies compared to him, but he's a goalie with a lot of potential who's done a very good job so far this season. Maybe if SKA gave him a chance to be the starter, the same thing that happened with Sorokin at CSKA would happen for SKA.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't see them going very far this year or then suddenly all the star players should start playing as a team. Can some star players take the lower line hard working duties? Kinda mission impossible as the coaching is bad.

And why isn't Moses playing PP? Would that make the Russian stars unhappy?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Shestyorkin will be the starter sooner rather than later, Id say by the end of next season he will outplay Koskinen, who IMO is an average KHL goalie at best. Look at Sorokin in CSKA, beat out 2 very good experienced goalies for the starting gig.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
he will outplay Koskinen, who IMO is an average KHL goalie at best.

Yes, SKA traded Salak to get at least an average KHL goalie. Because average goalie is enough to carry an average team like Sibir for 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Koskinen, who IMO is an average KHL goalie at best.

So "average at best" Koskinen who just so happens was an All-Star and KHL's best goalie last year is sporting a .962 save percentage so far which isn't even THAT much higher than his .938 average in 38 KHL playoff games. Really looking forward to SKA getting rid of such mediocrity and letting Igor "The Real Deal" Shestyorkin show us how it's done.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Yes, SKA traded Salak to get at least an average KHL goalie. Because average goalie is enough to carry an average team like Sibir for 2 years.

Again... ill rip into this post as I did your similar mannered post in the other thread.

1) SKA has made many trades for even below average KHL goalies in recent memory -cough- Ivanikov, cough- Ezhov. Koskinen is an average goalie on a good team. SKA seems to be weaker than last years team and its showing in net, Koskinen is flaming out right now against Dynamo, has looked terrible.
2)Its called a poor trade, Salak did struggle with SKA but has been lights out since the day he pulled over the snowflake sweater over his head. Top 5 KHL goalie easily, Im sure SKA regrets this trade now.
3) There are rumours of SKA being interested in Karlson, rumours only surface like this when a team is not confident in their goalie.
Expect Shestyorkin to be the starter at some point next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
1) SKA has made many trades for even below average KHL goalies in recent memory -cough- Ivanikov, cough- Ezhov. Koskinen is an average goalie on a good team. SKA seems to be weaker than last years team and its showing in net, Koskinen is flaming out right now against Dynamo, has looked terrible.
2)Its called a poor trade, Salak did struggle with SKA but has been lights out since the day he pulled over the snowflake sweater over his head. Top 5 KHL goalie easily, Im sure SKA regrets this trade now.
3) There are rumours of SKA being interested in Karlson, rumours only surface like this when a team is not confident in their goalie.
Expect Shestyorkin to be the starter at some point next season.

1) Ivannikov, Yezhov, Nalimov and etc. were in the SKA system as backups and obviously they don't take up foreigner spots so SKA can farm as many of them as they want. What does this have to do with Koskinen? Well at least now Koskinen seems average for you, not "average at best". Making progress here. Also how very nice of you to notice that Koskinen is "looking terrible" against Dynamo without acknowledging the fact he was one of the main factors carrying SKA through Loko series so convincingly.
And obviously, if you replace a hockey coach with a pumpkin it's going to show in all areas of the team as it had, in all areas.

2) It's a poor trade that won SKA the championship, I bet they wouldn't have it any other way. Also I'm really curious how Salak is top-5 goalie (which is something I agree with, really) and Koskinen is average at best even though they are getting basically identical results behind the mediocre Sibir team. Really boggles my mind how you rate two goaltenders that get equal results so differently. Other than the fact that Salak is smaller so his style is really nicer to look at they are obviously just marginally different at preventing the pucks going to the net.

3) That is true. Because SKA is never confident in anything if the things aren't going well. That's why they traded Salak in a trade you say they should regret. That's why they added 6 new players to the roster doing the season which is 1/3 of team. That's why they fired a coach when the team was leading the league by a country mile. Just SKA things.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Koskinen is flaming out right now against Dynamo, has looked terrible.

With a shutout the day after you write this :lol: I love the fact you grab on every straw to prove you are right just to be crushed by reality again and again.

WeAre

Sep 20, 2014
Ska is better team without Ilya. If they wanna win series then they need to bench ilya.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
With a shutout the day after you write this :lol: I love the fact you grab on every straw to prove you are right just to be crushed by reality again and again.

And another one today. Allowed 1 goal in 3 games after the "is flaming out right now against Dynamo, has looked terrible" post. Well done, well jinxed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad