Confirmed Buy-Out [SJS] Sharks buy-out F Rudolfs Balcers

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
You are mistaken. He is fast and a decent forechecker, but "fairly physical" is not a description that fits him.

I think the issue is that the Sharks had a quite a few forwards that were legitimately 3rd liners but were playing throughout the top 9 because of a lack of depth. My sense is Grier has identified the players he wants for the actual 3rd line and is jettisoning those who he sees as not having the right skillset for that role.

Now, how does Grier plan on filling those holes?
Gotcha, that makes some sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think the Lightning is going to sign this guy

I thought Balcers was a fairly physical bottom 6 player with some skill, or am I mistaken? Seems like the kind of guy most GM's consider hard to play against.

I always found that he was moving well and covering large parts of the ice, very responsible defensively and with some skill to contribute offensively. Sure he is not the strongest guy out there but a fairly reliable bottom-6 player. Some team is going to say thank you very much

I hope he was notified of this in advance so his agent could get ready for free agency

Lol we gave Balcers away so we could trade a 2nd for Stepan and he provided solid bottom 6 play for the Sharks for a couple years.

Not obsession so much as pointing out how stupid it was to make those moves. Nothing has changed on that front.

To me it was more that the Sens pro scouting decided that it was a better hockey decision to waive 23 y/o Rudolfs Balcers and not any of Cedric Paquette, Artem Anisimov or Alex Galchenyuk...

That Sens offseason was legendary bad and destroyed any confidence (already very fragile) I had left in current management. Dorion has been rebuilding it this summer so far but he needs to keep it going.

Reactions: themelkman

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I guess we'll find out tomorrow at noon but you'd think you could get a pick for his contract.
We only need 1 pick for bedard or michkov.

Seriously, though --- this buyout doesn't make sense to me. The rumor is that GM MG wants to build a team with a minimum height/weight of 6'3"/220 and I guess this lines up with that. unclear if that's actually true...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Can a Sharks fan please explain to me why this player wasn't worth 1.55M?
It's a matter of personal preference at this stage when it comes to Grier and what he views should be his 3rd or even 4th lines moving forward. Balcers was worth it for the production he gave but the Sharks do have a lot of guys in a similar position. I just don't get why this had to be the outcome rather than just trading him for a 7th.

Reactions: Americanadian

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Besides a reset of their forward group, I guess this is also saves some real dollars? His actual salary would have been higher than his cap hit, but he qualifies for a buyout at one third, with a negligible cap penalty this year (~$8k) and only a small one next year (~$300k)

Because otherwise, why not just bury him? They're not close to the contract limit or anything either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad