Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NJD] Nick Merkley for Christian Jaros

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Weird how the sharks just keep popping up on this tree. Just when your rid of them here they are again
The Falloon tree is a Sharks specific tree - what the Sharks have to show down the line for trading away Pat Falloon.
When a player simply leaves the team without compensation (free agent, retirement, waivers), I don't change the colour. That's why the likes of MacLean and Winnik are crossed out but still Sharks colours.
Without a better idea, I decided to leave a square as the team colour when the team actually makes the draft selection (Dimitrakos, McGinn, Galimov, Helewka), to differentiate from when a pick is traded before the selection, and the new team makes the pick (Briere, Martone, Sestito)

That's why the Sharks pop up so often on the Falloon trade. It's easier to see the pattern/scheming on a bigger tree, but that Falloon tree is an aberration where it keeps growing in this linear line with a bunch of one-player returns, instead of branching out. I call it the Falloon Bamboo.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Merkley has some skill. His best asset is his vision. I wish he got more opportunities in NJ but is probably just a flash in the pan nhl player like Joe Blandisi/Damien Bruner if that

One of his nice plays setting up Nolan foote for his first nhl goal:

That was a good look but a HORRIBLE pass

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If you just watch him he looks like he should be decent at the game. If you watch the game around him you realize he is not. Its kind of a weird thing.
He seemed to be a lot better in Ottawa then. He was a simple player, but i found perfectly suited to a 3rd pairing role.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Merkley has some skill. His best asset is his vision. I wish he got more opportunities in NJ but is probably just a flash in the pan nhl player like Joe Blandisi/Damien Bruner if that

One of his nice plays setting up Nolan foote for his first nhl goal:

He was great for the Kelwona Rockets (on the same team as Draisaitl but not necessarily on the same line). I'd hoped he be an NHL regular now but alas... injuries.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I remember really liking Nick Merkley at the time of his draft. Don't mind the trade.
It was hard to miss with the 2015 NHL draft, the Coyotes managed to twice in the first round that year….Merkley being one of the misses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stewie Griffin

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
CJ Turtoro was saying that signing Dougie means the Devils are going for it now, and this is exactly why I think he's wrong. Even after brining in Hamilton (and signing Kuok and Shara) the team is just a few million over the floor.
Jack and Bratt are due next year, Ty the year after. You can’t be a cap team now with them looming. Of course, PK comes off the books next year.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Wasn't Merkley for first time in longtime actually someone productive this past season in role as a #6/7?

Jaros is pretty worthless and well most of Merkley's career he has been worthless so in grand scheme of things it isn't much but Merkley is slightly better or at least what I thought

Huh? Merkley is a forward, not a defenseman.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
The Falloon tree is a Sharks specific tree - what the Sharks have to show down the line for trading away Pat Falloon.
When a player simply leaves the team without compensation (free agent, retirement, waivers), I don't change the colour. That's why the likes of MacLean and Winnik are crossed out but still Sharks colours.
Without a better idea, I decided to leave a square as the team colour when the team actually makes the draft selection (Dimitrakos, McGinn, Galimov, Helewka), to differentiate from when a pick is traded before the selection, and the new team makes the pick (Briere, Martone, Sestito)

That's why the Sharks pop up so often on the Falloon trade. It's easier to see the pattern/scheming on a bigger tree, but that Falloon tree is an aberration where it keeps growing in this linear line with a bunch of one-player returns, instead of branching out. I call it the Falloon Bamboo.

Speaking of Helewka, Devils once traded for him from the Predators for "future considerations" but then released him the next day. Never did find what those considerations were.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad