Confirmed Trade: [SJS/FLA] Vincent Praplan for future considerations

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
What I think this might be is Doug Wilson living up to his reputation for taking care of prospects that may no longer have a role in SJ. This has been an ongoing pattern of Wilson's. If a prospect is unhappy with their role, he'll make sure they get moved to a potentially good situation, even if it doesn't return the Sharks anything. Obviously he'll try and get some value in trade first, but if he can't he won't just sit on them and keep them here, he'll get them to places they have more opportunity. Two recent examples are Matt Nieto (now with the Avs), and Ryan Carpenter (now with Vegas), both of whom were moved for absolutely nothing when he wasn't able to get anything in trade for them, and they were looking for fresh opportunities. Some of our good recent Euro FA signings have cited that habit of DW's as major reasons they chose to sign with San Jose over other potential offers. They know they will get a fair shot to make the team, and if it doesn't work out but they still think they can make an NHL team, Doug Wilson will make sure they get the chance to succeed somewhere else.
More GM's need to take lessons from him.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised the Sharks made this move. They had the contract space and the Barracudas are doing quite well in the lowly Pacific, in fact I'd considerate them a contender to win the division, and Praplan had a decent sized role there.
Likely as a favor to Praplan, who came over as a Euro FA, to bolster DWs reputation so we can continue to be an attractive destination for them. It was obvious he was never going to make the Sharks anymore, but DW did him a solid and got him to somewhere he would get a shot instead of rotting away in a very expensive place in the AHL. Worst case scenario, he doesn't play for the Panthers and plays for their AHL team where rent is less than half of what it is in SJ, all whole he gets the same paycheck. AHL salary is middle class at minimum in a lot of places, but that's like broke college kid life in SJ.

So, it's a good look to prospective signee, "We'll give you a shot, but if it doesn't work out then I'll do whatever I can to try to improve your situation."

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I like this quote of NY being a one stop shop and basically all players are available. That's what it should be. This market went from doubtful IMO to very good with the Duchesne trade not only taking him out, but appearing to signify that CBus is keeping Panarin and Bob for a run. When you add in how wide open the West still is this late in the season, I think there's a lot more buyers than there looked to be a month ago. Our ideal situation is to unload guys out of conference, I would imagine. This all comes down to asset management. If the equation on any player results in a positive then let's make a deal.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Does anyone even know what future considerations even means? Because I have no clue.
99% of the time we'll never know, though usually it means pretty much nothing.
It's often just an organization moving on from a player, giving him a chance elsewhere.
The player isn't worth, in the teams' minds, a 7th round pick, or moving another contract, so they settle on a "future considerations", which really then comes down to helping each other out and building relationships between GMs, for future dealings.

Sometimes, you will get an AHL trade announced between the two NHL teams' affiliates which essentially serves as the future considerations (see today's Toronto/Nashville trade and Toronto/Milwaukee trade), as an NHL team cannot trade a player whose rights are not held by them. So one team trades the NHL player for future considerations, and then in a separate deal, in the other league, the AHL teams make a deal to "even" it out

Last edited:
Reactions: Blacephalon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad