Confirmed Trade: [SJS/FLA] Vincent Praplan for future considerations

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Seems like FLA/SJS are now officially Eastcoast-Westcoast buddies.

Its no wonder DW is always tan...

wilson-doug.jpg

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
How do future considerations work? Does something absolutely have to be paid? Is there a deadline? I just don't get it.

My understanding of it, and it is limited, is that in most of these situations a 'group' or 'price' has been agreed upon in principle but due to one club needing to make the move or another, they've decided that they'll pass it through right away.

This typically is a conditional thing such as a pick selection is put up as 'collateral' for lack of a better word, and until then they will scout the prospects/players they have a target on. This is usually for low level prospects/rights to players playing not in the NHL, that the team wants to do a bit more due diligence on. It's most likely that the team receiving 'Future Considerations' is the one initiating the trade, usually to free up a contract spot/move a player due to locker room conflict, yada yada.

The timing of this suggests that the Sharks might be looking at adding a player for a pick coming up, or needing to receive two players in a trade and need the freedom of a contract spot to do it.

But again, my understanding is a bit limited and there may be other factors, but that's my understand as described once in an interview I watched some time ago. (I believe it was an interview with Brian Burke.)

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
My understanding of it, and it is limited, is that in most of these situations a 'group' or 'price' has been agreed upon in principle but due to one club needing to make the move or another, they've decided that they'll pass it through right away.

This typically is a conditional thing such as a pick selection is put up as 'collateral' for lack of a better word, and until then they will scout the prospects/players they have a target on. This is usually for low level prospects/rights to players playing not in the NHL, that the team wants to do a bit more due diligence on. It's most likely that the team receiving 'Future Considerations' is the one initiating the trade, usually to free up a contract spot/move a player due to locker room conflict, yada yada.

The timing of this suggests that the Sharks might be looking at adding a player for a pick coming up, or needing to receive two players in a trade and need the freedom of a contract spot to do it.

But again, my understanding is a bit limited and there may be other factors, but that's my understand as described once in an interview I watched some time ago. (I believe it was an interview with Brian Burke.)

Interesting & makes sense. Thank you.

Reactions: SpaceCowboy

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
DW is winning , 2 deals so far................................................)

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
No “I was CERTAIN that San Jose, looking to make a deep run to the Cup, would have sought to add a sniping threat the likes of Mike Hoffman to put that Sharks offense over the top” posts yet?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I'm surprised the Sharks made this move. They had the contract space and the Barracudas are doing quite well in the lowly Pacific, in fact I'd considerate them a contender to win the division, and Praplan had a decent sized role there.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
What I think this might be is Doug Wilson living up to his reputation for taking care of prospects that may no longer have a role in SJ. This has been an ongoing pattern of Wilson's. If a prospect is unhappy with their role, he'll make sure they get moved to a potentially good situation, even if it doesn't return the Sharks anything. Obviously he'll try and get some value in trade first, but if he can't he won't just sit on them and keep them here, he'll get them to places they have more opportunity. Two recent examples are Matt Nieto (now with the Avs), and Ryan Carpenter (now with Vegas), both of whom were moved for absolutely nothing when he wasn't able to get anything in trade for them, and they were looking for fresh opportunities. Some of our good recent Euro FA signings have cited that habit of DW's as major reasons they chose to sign with San Jose over other potential offers. They know they will get a fair shot to make the team, and if it doesn't work out but they still think they can make an NHL team, Doug Wilson will make sure they get the chance to succeed somewhere else.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I'm surprised the Sharks made this move. They had the contract space and the Barracudas are doing quite well in the lowly Pacific, in fact I'd considerate them a contender to win the division, and Praplan had a decent sized role there.

Wilson has a history of giving these FAs options elsewhere if they want it. Makes it easier to recruit future European FA's when their predecessors are given these sort of opportunities.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Anyone got any scouting info on future considerations? What's his upside?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad