Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] David Schlemko (4 years, $2.1M AAV)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
After the Stars picked him up from waivers and got rid of him really fast again i thought "meh nothing but a fringe NHL". But somehow he had a really good year with the Devils. This could be decent or terrible. Too much term imho.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Any devils fans want to fill me in on what his game is like? I've watched a few games and noticed him, looks to me like he's a decent skating PMD? Am I missing anything?

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Solid player. Plays a very smooth game. Maybe a year too long of a deal but you'll like him.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Love this deal, great depth great value. People say it's a long term but it's an easy contract to move in a couple years if need be to a team that needs that hole to fill.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Really like the deal. Our 3rd pairing got totally exposed in the SCF's, and we had to improve there. Take a look at the HERO chart comparing Schlemko to Brenden Dillon, our current #3 LD:

vOMELmI.png

Just a TINY bit of an upgrade there, don't you think? Obviously we still have Dillon, but maybe this lets us move him in a trade. Polak is gone, and the rookie Polak supplanted (Dylan DeMelo) actually generally played better than Polak. If we can get some decent assets for Dillon, I would be more than happy to go into next season with a Schlemko - DeMelo 3rd pairing.

edit: Fixed the displaying of the HERO chart. The share link from the site itself didn't work at all, had to download it as a png and upload it to imgur. :laugh:

Last edited:

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Really like the deal. Our 3rd pairing got totally exposed in the SCF's, and we had to improve there. Take a look at the HERO chart comparing Schlemko to Brenden Dillon, our current #3 LD:

QRW7C3WZZ

Just a TINY bit of an upgrade there, don't you think? Obviously we still have Dillon, but maybe this lets us move him in a trade. Polak is gone, and the rookie Polak supplanted (Dylan DeMelo) actually generally played better than Polak. If we can get some decent assets for Dillon, I would be more than happy to go into next season with a Schlemko - DeMelo 3rd pairing.

I'd love a Schlemko - DeMelo pairing. Dylan should've been playing last year. Hell, he stepped in just fine as a top-4 guy when Vlasic went down. No reason he shouldn't/couldn't be one of 3rd pairing guys.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
From all accounts, he can play both sides just fine. So, it could be a Dillon - Schlemko pairing too, if we can't get rid of Dillon

That's good, and sounds like we finally found a defenseman who can play the point on the 2nd PP unit too.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
If any of you want an example of a success of Dave Tippett's development it's David Schlemko. He went from a defensive liability to a player that's carved out a great career for himself.

He was never that great with ARI. Sounds like when he went to NJ he really improved his game.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Any devils fans want to fill me in on what his game is like? I've watched a few games and noticed him, looks to me like he's a decent skating PMD? Am I missing anything?

Honestly, he was the biggest surprise for me. On some nights he was our best defenseman.

Smooth skater, good puck handler, nice wheels, reliable on D.

Would have loved to have him back.

He's a decent #4 and a spectacular bottom pairing guy.

He has the occasional fumble, but you guys got a steal here.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He was never that great with ARI. Sounds like when he went to NJ he really improved his game.

He was very good and well liked during his stint in Calgary. Been underrated this past year, good for him for getting a little stability

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad