Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] E.Kane for D. O'Regan, 2019 cond. 1st/2nd round, 2019/2020 cond. 4th/3rd round [MOD 274]

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It makes no sense to re-sign him if you're San Jose, even if he does well.

You can just go after a different free agent, who will cost a similar amount against the cap and will not cost a first rounder.

****ty return for Buffalo in the end. Very disappointed.

Eh, If Kane gels well and puts up PPG throughout the rest of the season and playoffs, that's hard to ignore.

Plus two years ago the Sharks signed Boedker expecting him to be a 50 point player, but chemistry among other things he's a 30 point player on the Sharks. Seeing how a player performs on a team is pretty important, especially a guy like Kane.

Reactions: Kcoyote3

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
DW will only re-sign if its a reasonable contract, ie wont overpay. So either he performs well and is signed to a nice contract the following year and is worth the 1st or we gave up a 2nd round pick, practically only, which is also worth it
I'm not saying the trade wasn't worth it. Great value for San Jose, but you'll soon realize that Kane has way too many warts to his game. That's why no contenders wanted to ante up a late first round pick for Kane. Jets fans warned Sabres fans, and now Sabres fans are warning Sharks fans.

I hope I'm wrong. I really hope he tears it up for San Jose. It would be a win-win for both teams. That first round pick is enticing as hell.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
kane needs a change of scenery and hes gonna get it.

he is super talented but has been on 'bad' teams. leading to some bad habits. this is just what the doctor ordered for the sharks and also for kane.

ive been guilty of calling kane a locker room cancer in the past..... but maybe he just didnt have a decent locker room to begin with. pulling a 180 on kane. good move.
I think that this will be meaningfull time for Kane. Let’s see what he does with a strong locker room.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's a conditional 2nd, not a conditional 1st. The guaranteed pick is the pick that gets listed.
It's technically both, we see them listed both ways quite regularly. Generally when it involves first round picks, they saw conditional first because it makes the return sound better for the selling team.

This is disgraceful return. Botterill messed up big time.
As pointed out by Botterill, that was the only offer the Sabres got that contained a first round pick. We've been telling you for months that no one was going to overpay for that piece of fecal matter, but you refused to admit to yourself or anyone else that Kane's reputation killed any value he could have had.

I’m excited, dudes gonna kill it. Sharks org keeps players on a short leash
If I were Wilson, the first thing I would do is take Kane on a tour of Alacatraz

Here's hoping Kane goes on a tear. The guy gets **** on for no reason.
No reason? That's like saying Ted Kaczynski was shit on for no reason.

I saw in rwitter its a 1st if shrks advance in the pl0ayoffs...was it making the cup final or winning the cup ??
Multiple conditions. The pick becomes a first if:

1. The Sharks re-sign Kane
2. The Sharks win the 2018 Stanley Cup

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Kane is the Dan Bilzerian of the NHL and I don't like him or his inflated ego, but he can play. He's a 45-55 point player on any line - he gets most of his points from individual effort so there is no real chance of Thornton turning him into a 50 goal guy. But stick him on a 3rd line and he will drive it and San Jose is much improved.

I would say San Jose got a steal for Evander in terms of value but that Botterill didn't lose either. Kane's offence dried up and there is enough baggage there to ensure that they were never getting full value for him. Sure, Botterill would have been good to trade him at Christmas but how many teams had the cap space or desire at Christmas? Probably none.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You've gotta wonder what kind of value that Botterill could have got for Kane if he traded him on his hot streak. There was a time, not all that long ago, when Evander Kane had more goals and assists than Patrick Kane; he was on pace for like 38 goals and 38 assists after like half of the season. You've got to think at that point it wouldn't have been hard to acquire an unconditional first round pick at the very least and probably a better prospect than O'Regan on top of that.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It always amuses when people say this. Why the hell wouldn't they do better if they could ?? Please explain to me.

The idea is that they could have traded Kane sooner when his value was higher, or that their GM could have negotiated and taken things down to the wire in order to get another asset out of the GMs with interest in Kane.

I don't think anybody is literally suggesting that Buffalo's GM had a better offer on the table and took this one to do San Jose a favor, or because they liked Danny O'Regan too much.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You've gotta wonder what kind of value that Botterill could have got for Kane if he traded him on his hot streak. There was a time, not all that long ago, when Evander Kane had more goals and assists than Patrick Kane; he was on pace for like 38 goals and 38 assists after like half of the season. You've got to think at that point it wouldn't have been hard to acquire an unconditional first round pick at the very least and probably a better prospect than O'Regan on top of that.

Meh. Big rental trades rarely happen around Christmas. I doubt there were any serious offers on the table for Kane back in December.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
He means the Sharks will always try and will themselves from being a bottom feeder or miss the playoffs. IMO they are pretty damn close to being that with a thin prospect pool and an aged core.
agreed

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How come? Their future looks bleak unless I'm missing something?

Their future is fine because they have enough pieces to remain competitive for many years to come. The team is not just Joe Thornton and that's it. Try looking at their team and watching them play.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He means the Sharks will always try and will themselves from being a bottom feeder or miss the playoffs. But IMO they are pretty damn close to being that with a thin prospect pool and an aged core.
Disagree. Thornton’s really the only “aged” player and he’s still playing well. They have Couture, Vlasic, Burns, Jones in their primes and Hertl, Tierney, Donskoi, Meier, Ryan, and Labanc as up and coming players that all look like they could be great players.

Also if you’re just looking at prospect pool and not the actual roster currently, it does look bad but we do have Balcers (looks to be a good top 6 W), Norris (still too early to tell), Ferrero (who everyone here seems to want), Gambrell (tearing up the NCAA), also Roy (bit of a project with his injuries)

They might not be the best team in the league any time soon but I have a hard time seeing them miss the playoffs any time soon.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Meh. Big rental trades rarely happen around Christmas. I doubt there were any serious offers on the table for Kane back in December.

Teams probably weren't making serious offers on him, but there was confirmed interest from San Jose going back to around December.

Buffalo should have dealt him as soon as their playoff odds dipped below 25%.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Botterill wants a 1, conditional pick, a prospect and a roster player... is mocked by hfboards.

Gets a 1, conditional pick and prospect... is deemed a big loss by hf boards.

The condition on the 1 is a standard lottery protection.

It is not standard to say the pick is protected if he doesn't sign sorry. Most protection comes in the form of either a lottery pick (usually top 5/10) . Basically Kane's value along with the entire trade market was soft for certain players. Lots of good name out there-Patches/Kane/Although not shopped JVR (if Lou was given a crazy offer I'm sure he would have listened), etc. Most id not get what they were suppose to or were not traded at all because of the soft market.

As many have stated, should have traded earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad