AkiBerg

Dec 5, 2013
In one of the best draft class' in of all time the Sharks picked:

Milan Michakek 6th - Suter went 7th
Steve Bernier 16th - Parise went 17th
Josh Hennessy 43rd - Bergeron went 45th
Matt Carle 47th - Weber went 49th
What could've been.

Also of note SJ took Joe Pavelski in the 7th round, so not a horrible draft but the team would've been a force with the alternative picks.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
In one of the best draft class' in of all time the Sharks picked:

Milan Michakek 6th - Suter went 7th
Steve Bernier 16th - Parise went 17th
Josh Hennessy 43rd - Bergeron went 45th
Matt Carle 47th - Weber went 49th
What could've been.

Also of note SJ took Joe Pavelski in the 7th round, so not a horrible draft but the team would've been a force with the alternative picks.

I think there are solid reasons to have picked Michalek and Carle at the time but I can't really fathom a reason to have picked Bernier or Hennessy. But seriously, what a pity.

20/20 hindsight though. Michalek was great until the injuries started taking their toll. Bernier was almost good for a while. Carle had top pairing potential too. Some would've said Norris potential at one point.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
They could have drafted Brayden Coburn (8th) or Andrei Kostitsyn (10) instead of Michalek.

They could have drafted Eric Fehr (18) insted of Bernier.

They could have drafted Konstantin Pushkarev (44) instead of Hennesssey.

They could have drafted Dmitri Chernykh (48) instead of Carle.

Outside of the top 10 the draft is a crapshoot. Like it or not there's quite a bit of luck involved.

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
They could have drafted Brayden Coburn (8th) or Andrei Kostitsyn (10) instead of Michalek.

They could have drafted Eric Fehr (18) insted of Bernier.

They could have drafted Konstantin Pushkarev (44) instead of Hennesssey.

They could have drafted Dmitri Chernykh (48) instead of Carle.

Outside of the top 10 the draft is a crapshoot. Like it or not there's quite a bit of luck involved.

Not to mention who knows how Suter, Parise, Bergeron and Weber would have developed here. Maybe the Sharks draft Weber and he turns into a clone of Nick Petrecki.

It's just not a given that those guys develop into what they are if we draft them instead. Maybe there's no chance Weber becomes Nick Petrecki, but there's a good chance Weber could be something different than the Shea Weber we know today. (And similarly, Pavelski could have been drafted by someone else and not developed properly and be totally different than the Pavelski we know today)

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
Reading these boards was already like watching a train wreck this offseason, but now we're monday morning quarterbacking drafts from 11 years ago? Every team, every draft, every sport, could have drafted better after 5-10 years of hindsight.

Ice girls, Drew, rebuild, retool, change the culture, it's all 19's fault, it's all #12's fault...what great discourse this SJ/LA series & offseason has brought us.

Last edited:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Milan Michalek was known as the most "NHL ready" prospect in the top 10. If he and Sturm didn't get injured in the 03-04 season I think we would've beaten the Flames in the WCF.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It is an interesting draft. The guys that they picked with a lot of talent, just didn't have the right mentality to make it big (Michalek, Bernier, Carle). Pavelski's mentality and intangibles definitely helped (and still help) overcome the talent gap.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Reading thes boards is like a train wreck this offseason, but know we're monday morning quarterbacking drafts from 11 years ago? Every team, every draft, every sport, could have drafted better after 5-10 years of hindsight.

Ice girls, Drew, rebuild, retool, change the culture, it's all 19's fault, it's all #12's fault...what great discourse this SJ/LA series & offseason has brought us.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread about the '03 draft every year (maybe multiple times a year). Although I guess maybe if we win a cup they'll stop :laugh:

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Lamenting draft selections from more than a decade ago.

The definition of clutching at straws.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
People who criticize drafting by doing this don't understand that every team has bad picks and drafts. Confirmation bias at its finest.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Guess LA is a trash fire because they chose to draft Jeff Tambellini in the 2003 1st round.......

Also LA took some guy I've never heard of 1 pick before Bergeron in the 2nd round

Shall I go on?

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
Every franchise has drafting woulda coulda shouldas....hindsight is 20/20

/thread

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city
Lamenting draft selections from more than a decade ago.

The definition of clutching at straws.

And it's not like those were bad picks. Sure, I guess they could've been better, but every one of those guys is still playing in the NHL except for Hennessey. Not choosing Parise at 16 or Weber at 47 didn't set the Sharks back necessarily.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I only really ever have a preference in 1st round picks when it's relatively high on the round. Everything after is a crapshoot. This draft, I wanted Ryan Suter. Didn't really care about the Bernier pick but that #6, I wanted Suter but it didn't happen. What can you do? Everyone has picks where they could've had someone better. It's only when it happens over multiple drafts in the 1st round that it becomes an issue.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Anaheim, Nashville, Philly, Chicago absolutely rocked the draft.

Carolina, NJD, Boston had one spectacular pick. Minnesota and St. Louis had one great pick.

San Jose got unlucky with Michalek, but also made a mistake in going for TOA over quality, but did well getting Pavelski and Carle.

Weber wouldn't have been Weber in SJ, at least IMHO.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
A couple of things. All orgs have their draft miss list. Individually, the missed picks don't mean a lot. It is the collective issue that is important for the scouts and orgs. What is their hit to miss ratio relative to each other? How big are the hits?

And it isn't all luck, again. There are psychological issues that can be predictive and can be tested to improve the hit to miss ratio beyond the obvious analysis of hockey skills.

I don't think Pavs would have developed in a significantly different manner in any other org. He tore through a short stint in the AHL. His skill was that far above his peers that there was no chance that any org would not have promoted him rapidly. There are differences in development between orgs, but they aren't as significant as some would portray. The same goes for guys like Kopitar, Suter and Bergeron. All of them put serious work into improving their skills on their own.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
we've beaten this topic to death. Yes, we probably screwed up. We all know that and a lot of us fans knew that then. But come on guys...how long are we going to :deadhorse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad