Sittlers 10 point night February 7th, 1976

MDupont

Dec 2, 2009
Two things.
1. I don't think it will ever be broken, but who knows.
2. It sucked.
lol.

I watched the game...shows my age..

Gretz didn't do it but came close many times....Someone will break it eventually, records always fall, just a matter of time.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Gretz didn't do it but came close many times....

I wouldn't call scoring 8 points twice; "coming close many times".

In fact I wouldn't call it coming close at all.

When you have already scored 6, 7, 8 points in a game, every point gets exponentially "bigger" (time constraints, likelihood of multi-point games etc.etc.).

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Someone will break it eventually, records always fall, just a matter of time.

Like I said; who knows.

Not to get too of topic here, but many think Gretzky's ludicrous numbers may be the eventual exception to that time tested rule.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
It would take a "perfect storm" of events for it to happen... a hot player... a crappy goalie(s)... a clicking offense... a subpar defense... but it could happen.

The thing is, having a 10 point evening would only tie the record. 11 points would be exponentially harder.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Like I said; who knows.

Not to get too of topic here, but many think Gretzky's ludicrous numbers may be the eventual exception to that time tested rule.

It would take a "perfect storm" of events for it to happen... a hot player... a crappy goalie(s)... a clicking offense... a subpar defense... but it could happen.

The thing is, having a 10 point evening would only tie the record. 11 points would be exponentially harder.

I don't think it will be beaten ever, but I do think its more possible than some of the gretzky records. As Eastvan said, its still only 1 game, and with enough luck, some bad defense, and a great player, anything could happen. Its just one game, no matter how unlikely it may be.

On the other hand, breaking Wayne career assist number, or his 163 assists in a season, or 215 pts in a season all just seem impossible forever.

All that being said, however, I doubt this will ever fall. Not even Gretzky and Lemieux were able to do it, and with goaltending gear and styles both the way they are now, and better defensive systems practiced by most teams, the odds of it being beaten are going down, not up.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i think the goalie was dave reece, who played something like 15 career games.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I think that with the common practice of today of both letting up in blowout games, and the resting of star players in those games would probably contribute to the record not being broken. Like has already been said, you would need a really hot team playing a really poor team, and a coach who's willing to keep his first-line players out even after the game is heading to double digits in goals.

Conversly, I can imagine the outrage someone like Don Cherry would have towards a team that did that. Not only did they keep a star out to pummel some weak opponent, but providing it's not the Leafs setting the record (which is highly unlikely), he would be up in arms about someone taking away a record held by the Leafs. On a more serious note, I would think that there would be some outrage towards a team that has the audacity to allow someone to be out on the ice long enough to scored 10+ points in a game. It would not go over well, even if it is record setting.

GNick42

This day in history...On February 7, 1976, playing at home in Maple Leafs Gardens, captain Darryl Sittler collected an astounding 10 points in a 11-4 steamrolling over the Boston Bruins.

will it ever be broken? Gretzky, Mario couldn't do it. Will Crosby, OV???

It will probably be Matt Stajan.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/02/06/sp-peterpuck-sittler.html#ixzz0erkdXZLt

Hey, good link! I was 11 years old that night, living and breathing hockey as most 11 year-old Canadians do. Laying in front of the family tv watching Hockey Night in Canada on a Saturday night. Seemed like everything he touched turned to gold. I am a Habs fans but that was a special night. Like to have a tape of that game.

Sittler was a great player on a so-so team. I always wondered if he would have been on the Habs, Flyers or Bruins at that time how great he would have been. I mean Tiger Williams and Errol Thompson were his leftwingers most of his career.

member 51464

I think it would happen another generation from now if the move is ever made to only have 4 skaters per side. Partly because I think rosters would switch around and better players would get more ice-time, etc...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Conversly, I can imagine the outrage someone like Don Cherry would have towards a team that did that. Not only did they keep a star out to pummel some weak opponent, but providing it's not the Leafs setting the record (which is highly unlikely), he would be up in arms about someone taking away a record held by the Leafs. On a more serious note, I would think that there would be some outrage towards a team that has the audacity to allow someone to be out on the ice long enough to scored 10+ points in a game. It would not go over well, even if it is record setting.

But you have to remember, Sittler wasn't running up the score. His last goal was a shot from the icing line (an attempted pass) and it hit off Brad Park's skate and in the net. You could try to do that 100 times and it would never happen.

Besides, NOT trying to win is also an insult to the other team. You always try to score but it's all about not being a hot dog when you do get a goal and it's 10-4.

I will never say the record never will fall, but it'll be an unbelievable game if it ever happens. A season can go by where whole teams don't even get 11 in a game. It'll be hard, I mean how much motivation do you have when you already have 7 points in a game? Crosby has hit 6 twice, and it would be him or Ovechkin that would do it if anyone

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
I was at that game, sitting way up in the greens with a clear view down onto the ice.Sittler shot the puck from everywhere and and no matter the angle, it went in.Boston D gave up the zone very easily, and Sittler did get a couple of garbage goals from very bad angles.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The sad thing about this record is that, according to ESPN Classic Canada's website, no complete recording of that game exists. It wasn't put on the Leafs' box set, so it appears to be true. Too bad as I would have loved to see that game...don't like the Leafs but Sittler is a class act.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The sad thing about this record is that, according to ESPN Classic Canada's website, no complete recording of that game exists. It wasn't put on the Leafs' box set, so it appears to be true. Too bad as I would have loved to see that game...don't like the Leafs but Sittler is a class act.
There used to be a poster on here named Classic Hockey who talked about how the CBC would routinely erase game tapes so they could be reused. There's a lot of CBC broadcasts from the 70s that are gone forever.

member 51464

There used to be a poster on here named Classic Hockey who talked about how the CBC would routinely erase game tapes so they could be reused. There's a lot of CBC broadcasts from the 70s that are gone forever.

That is all sorts of tragic.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Unless there are some fundamental changes to rules and/or equipment, I don't see anyone breaking 10 points in a game. Only three teams have even scored 10 goals in a game post-lockout (Ott, Tor, Buff... interestingly all NE div. rivals... and only once each), and those games all got to that point due to huge contributions from secondary scoring.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Unless there are some fundamental changes to rules and/or equipment, I don't see anyone breaking 10 points in a game. Only three teams have even scored 10 goals in a game post-lockout (Ott, Tor, Buff... interestingly all NE div. rivals... and only once each), and those games all got to that point due to huge contributions from secondary scoring.

To put it another way, I'm pretty sure that Alfredsson is the only player to score 8 points post-lockout, and probably even earlier.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Do you mean to say that the same network that would wash their hands with their theme song for a few bucks (Canada's 2nd National anthem) would do that? :sarcasm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuJgrmMHxcc
Here's a clip of his 10 points, and as you can see while he still had a great game, he scored a few softies and he was far from running up the score

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Hey, good link! I was 11 years old that night, living and breathing hockey as most 11 year-old Canadians do. Laying in front of the family tv watching Hockey Night in Canada on a Saturday night. Seemed like everything he touched turned to gold. I am a Habs fans but that was a special night. Like to have a tape of that game.

Sittler was a great player on a so-so team. I always wondered if he would have been on the Habs, Flyers or Bruins at that time how great he would have been. I mean Tiger Williams and Errol Thompson were his leftwingers most of his career.

exactly or they had a diffrent owner (ballard ) that was willing to pay for a few more good players.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box

Who do you think was coaching the Bruins on that 10 point night by Sittler? :p

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens

I recently acquired the box set, and wondered why the game wasn't on there. Unbelievable! I wonder if Sittler himself has a copy of the game - he must.
There are no regular season games on the Leaf set, only playoffs.

Holden66

Aug 29, 2009
Ottawa

While that may be true, I remember seeing an article where lots of supposed "long and forgotten" Leaf games were found when they were cleaning out Maple Leaf Gardens. Apparently many of those games would not see the light of day for some time due to negotiating the rights to show them. Anyone else remember reading about this?

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I remember watching the game on TV38 in Boston.

Perhaps they still have the game footage in a closet somewhere.

That was a golden year for Sittler with the 10 point night and later that fall, scoring the tournament winning goal in the Canada Cup.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009

I think I heard some time that Sittler himself has the whole game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad