Music: Singer's Voices: Do they matter?

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland

Singer's Voices: Do they matter? I'm gonna say no.

1. I don't think we can agree on who has a bad or good voice. I like Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, John Lennon, and Marvin Gaye, but someone will disagree. Pat Benatar was an opera singer, but someone will reply that she has a bad voice. Some people may not like Mariah Carey although she used to have a huge range. I think Whitney Houston had a good voice, but some may not like her. Some feel that Adele's singing style is too dramatic.

2. I think the quality of the material is more important. Some singers have non-traditional voices such as Joe Cocker, Bob Dylan, Geddy Lee, Axl Rose, Tom Waits, and Neil Young, but they're very popular. I like Dylan, Young, and Lee's singing, but I admit they're no opera singers. Rolling Stone has Dylan ranked as the seventh best singer of all time. Someone will reply that they all have good voices.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
times have changed

it is all about the auto-tune now

A buddy of mine just retired after nearly 50 years of being a sound engineer here in London and he has recorded some of the biggest artist off all time. He worked a lot with the female motown singers that recorded in the 70's and 80's and he said they would spend weeks getting the sound just right. He said he recorded one female singer last year where she came in--spent all of about 3 hours doing what he thought was "rough work" on a few songs only to find out that those were the recordings and that the other engineer would come in and "Clean up" the vocals--meaning Auto tune and computerize the songs.

Even some of the top acts now, when you listen to their songs--you can tell they have been cleaned up

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
times have changed. It is all about the auto-tune now. ...Even some of the top acts now, when you listen to their songs--you can tell they have been cleaned up
I agree, but there are some singers who sound great live and posters who admit they don't like them personally say their voices are bad and play the auto tune card.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I agree, but there are some singers who sound great live and posters who admit they don't like them personally say their voices are bad and play the auto tune card.

lady gaga is the one that blew my mind--I thought she was the queen of the auto tune--but I caught her during rehearsals--not during the actual gig in 2014 here in London--I was in the O2 meeting a few people on the floor making final arrangements of about 200 buses that were bringing people from London area hotels to the gig and she blew my socks off-she can actually sing

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
lady gaga is the one that blew my mind--I thought she was the queen of the auto tune--but I caught her during rehearsals--not during the actual gig in 2014 here in London--I was in the O2 meeting a few people on the floor making final arrangements of about 200 buses that were bringing people from London area hotels to the gig and she blew my socks off-she can actually sing
I just accidentally discovered some non-auto-tune youtubes of some very popular current women, but the only one who sounded bad to me was Katy Perry so the rest were a pleasant surprise.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
LIGHTS is the same. I remember when she first got popular. So much auto-tune and effects added to her songs that's it's really not enjoyable. And then I saw her live as well as her releasing some acoustic videos on YouTube and she blew my mind. I was very wrong. I grab her acoustic albums/songs now (completely skip her studio ones).

Sep 19, 2008
Yes. Tom waits is a terrible singer and his products are crap as a result. You ever hear his rendition of downtown train?

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I think the singer definitely matters. Whether their voice is "good" doesn't necessarily matter, it matters how it fits in the context of that song I'd say. I wouldn't classify David Byrne as a good singer, but he fits so well in Talking Heads songs.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I've found by my inability to listen to a lot of today's popular bands, that yes, voice matters. It's not that they have to have the greatest singing voice in the world, but I have to be able to listen to it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Some of my favourite singers don't have objectively good voices.

But try to tell me that Louis Armstrong and Howlin Wolf aren't all-time great vocalists, and you'll have a fight on your hands. What made Louis such a great singer was his improvisational chops, and Howlin Wolf had power and emotion that hit you right in the gut.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
...But try to tell me that Louis Armstrong and Howlin Wolf aren't all-time great vocalists, and you'll have a fight on your hands. What made Louis such a great singer was his improvisational chops, and Howlin Wolf had power and emotion that hit you right in the gut.
100% agreed. Armstrong is great. I'm a huge Blues fan and every time I hear the Wolf I ask myself why I don't consider him my favorite Blues singer.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Of course it matters, whether it's for one reason or another.

You can't teach the difference between cookie-cutter folks you see on all these stupid singing TV shows and someone like, as suggested above, Louis Armstrong. Take your pick of "non-traditional" or "imperfect voices" who are legendary, there are plenty.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Of course it matters, whether it's for one reason or another. You can't teach the difference between cookie-cutter folks you see on all these stupid singing TV shows and someone like, as suggested above, Louis Armstrong. Take your pick of "non-traditional" or "imperfect voices" who are legendary, there are plenty.
Agreed, but there will always be those who say that if you can't identify something that it doesn't exist.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
To me, it matters. The words can often mean little to me (and they often do) but if there is a voice, I can dig it. And yes, the voice can interfere with an otherwise excellent song as has been shown in the OP. Can't stand those recordings.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
To me, it matters. The words can often mean little to me (and they often do) but if there is a voice, I can dig it. And yes, the voice can interfere with an otherwise excellent song as has been shown in the OP. Can't stand those recordings.
A Canadian not liking Young and Rush!?! Say it ain't so. ;)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Rage Against the Machine split up around ten years ago (give or take a year).

Their "reunion" project, Prophets of Rage, featured all original members, sans the lead singer. Instead they brought on a singer from a different group.

They were in town a few weeks ago, but I couldn't bring myself to go see them because the original lead singer wasn't a part of it.

It's just not the same.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I would agree that it matters within the context of the record. For example, I love the 2 Neutral Milk Hotel albums but I'm not sure if Mangum's voice would work as well with any other band.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would take Bob Dylan's voice over Roy Orbison's voice personally.

It matters, just like anything else matters, but how good of a singer someone is has nothing to do with how technically proficient or opera-like their voice is. In fact, that can sometimes make a voice feel more artificial and bland (I don't particularly care for the chops that people keep giving Lady Gaga or Adele kudos for, for example). I've noticed that I have a tendency to prefer the voices of singers who aren't technical more than I like the singers who are, personally.

What matters is the expressiveness/character/personality/aesthetic/ability for the voice to sound 'right' in the context of the music.

I dislike Rush too, though.

Last edited:

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Voices do matter. Chad Kroeger -Nickelback- and Scott Stapp -Creed- both have strong rock voices and it covered up some really unremarkable music and lead them to make millions selling generic rock music. And I hate their music. Meanwhile Michael Poulsen -Volbeat- has a good voice but it doesn't match the heaviness that his band seems to produce and feels mismatched.

Take Volbeat's song Evelyn (demo) featuring Bruce Greenway on vocals for the first verse and then it goes to Poulsen for the chorus. It goes from F*** yeah music to "holy **** is this nickelback" in a split second.

On the other hand, I've listened to some really good metal songs only to be put off by horrible screaming and gutter growling by the lead singer and I just turn off the song.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The character of the singer's voice matters for sure. The quality of the singer's voice also matters, but less so depending on the forum/style.

And while I suppose there are objective ways of measuring a singer's quality, both character and quality remain subjectively good/bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad