Celebrity Death: Sinead O’Connor

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
RIP, very brave for what she did, if mostly a OHW as a music artist, I'm surprised she didn't translate more into the late 90s and early 00s when people like McLachlan were popular with a style friendly to her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Yes indeed, sad news. She had a difficult time of it. It seemed to all go down hill since she tore up a photo of the Pope on SNL. There was just so much backlash.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Yes indeed, sad news. She had a difficult time of it. It seemed to all go down hill since she tore up a photo of the Pope on SNL. There was just so much backlash.

I can see how that would be the headline on a retrospective of her life, but that was not at all how she felt about that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was moved by her work and will never forget her haunting and brilliant singing. Despite her own inner turmoil I'd say that as a Counselor I find few artists as meaningful and heartfelt as Sinead.

In an age where others were putting up pablum or even music that was potentially harmful Sinead was starting a song with the serenity prayer. I thought to my younger self. "who does that" Well Sinead did. RIP. One for the ages.

Among so many soaring melodies I always loved this one from her debut album.

The unforgettable lyrics

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
RIP, very brave for what she did, if mostly a OHW as a music artist, I'm surprised she didn't translate more into the late 90s and early 00s when people like McLachlan were popular with a style friendly to her.
But didn't she pay so much for challenging the powers that be? She faced a lot of closed doors just for having the conviction of her beliefs and stating them. She continued to perform, put out 10 albums but certainly with less cooperation from the music industry that she called out or any faction that supported the church unconditionally.

Sineads views were decades ahead of the time and she was cancelled for it which she knew too and has spoken at length about.

The music continued. More artists and significant others should have stood with her.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just for my own clarification here,... But "not how she felt about" what?
There were things she’s said or done over time that she either regretted or walked back, tearing the photo of the pope was never one of them.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
1690551640074.png

Here is a statement on how she felt regarding the situation.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
There were things she’s said or done over time that she either regretted or walked back, tearing the photo of the pope was never one of them.
I never meant to imply that she did. I just meant that in doing that it seemed to have destroyed her career. Certainly she didn't regret that show of protest, but I don't think she was happy with how her own personal life went following that.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I never meant to imply that she did. I just meant that in doing that it seemed to have destroyed her career. Certainly she didn't regret that show of protest, but I don't think she was happy with how her own personal life went following that.
You really have no way of knowing that though. She had depression problems but that certainly doesn't mean she wasn't happy with her personal life.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

You really have no way of knowing that though. She had depression problems but that certainly doesn't mean she wasn't happy with her personal life.
She was diagnosed bipolar and borderline personality. Whether that was a symptom of that, I guess we can never know, but there’s been little if not nothing obvious to suggest that she saw that as a negative. Her view was that being toxic to major record labels hurt them more and forced her to be dependent on being a live performer which is what she wanted to do anyways.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Like many acts she did not trust record executives.

“See, when the artists are dead, they’re much more valuable than when they’re alive,” she told the publication. “Tupac has released way more albums since he died than he ever did alive, so it’s kind of gross what record companies do.”

“That’s why I’ve always instructed my children since they were very small, ‘If your mother drops dead tomorrow, before you called 911, call my accountant and make sure the record companies don’t start releasing my records and not telling you where the money is,’” she further explained.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am not happy at what is being reported here in the UK about her death. I am still hoping it was not suicide. But based upon the reports on her over the past few weeks. I think I maybe wrong

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Always respected that she didn't take back her conviction. Seems in present day people speak their mind, get cancelled, and then recant everything as if its torture and inquisition. The whole rotten entertainment and record industry should feel some shame that Sinead was cancelled under their watch. Music is art and art is supposed to be means of expression.

Sinead's view on being a performer, writer, singer was that her job was communicating her feelings honestly, which she did.

You're correct that the things Sinead did that she apologized for were the day to day swings and statements and behaviors that people with her condition are subject to.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
How was she canceled? She put out ten albums and enjoyed, I'm assuming, full capacity performances wherever she played.

Milli Vanilli got canceled, she did not

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How was she canceled? She put out ten albums and enjoyed, I'm assuming, full capacity performances wherever she played.

Milli Vanilli got canceled, she did not
You kidding? She was dropped from her record label after selling millions of albums for them, there was an event where her albums were bulldozed, She was booed off stages in the US and ironically at a Bob Dylan tribute concert. Joe Pesci threatened her with physical violence, so did Frank Sinatra, and Madonna, a national disgrace with no decency, even bashed her. She didn't seem to get very much rotation, promotion etc. after the SNL incident and the US anthem stance.

The dropoff in sales for the third and fourth albums were severe and despite several good tracks on these albums. She was no one off, she put up good material, Could be that the public just dropped her as well. But not on musical merit.

Sinead was shunned, especially in US, for her beliefs. For being outspoken about them.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Judging by the quote she gave it sounds like she was perfectly fine with the "fallout" and would do it all again. Did some people and groups not like what she said? Of course, but she wasn't the first and she won't be the last that will face some financial consequences for speaking their beliefs...but she wasn't canceled, that's absurd and a gross use of a word that's lost its actual meaning.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
She had a brilliant voice and was way ahead of her time when it came it came to the Catholic Church.

I've been keeping this inside for years but the way some posters judge celebrities by their death and not their life is sickening. One poster in this thread even wished cancer on her instead of suicide. Sick. Robin Williams lived a brilliant life, but some judged him by his death and not his life. Some judged David Carradine and he was falsely accused of suicide. The death of a twenty something celebrity from alcohol and/or drugs is treated as an epic tragedy here. Some child dying from cancer, or someone being murdered (including by drunk/high drivers) or raped is tragic, not someone dying by their own hand.

Reactions: Primary Assist

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Judging by the quote she gave it sounds like she was perfectly fine with the "fallout" and would do it all again. Did some people and groups not like what she said? Of course, but she wasn't the first and she won't be the last that will face some financial consequences for speaking their beliefs...but she wasn't canceled, that's absurd and a gross use of a word that's lost its actual meaning.
Here's what I think in response to that. She had a strong outward character and she believed that what she did was the right thing. Nevertheless, the backlash and the shunning hurt and I think hurt a lot, but her pride wasn't about to let that public know, at least not directly, just how much of an affect it had on her.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'm curious of what your definition of "cancelled" is, if not exactly what was just described about Sinead

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Whats absurd is your position on this. Its generally accepted that Sinead was cancelled and she feels that she was, several other musicians and pundits think she was. Not sure why you would need to be so pedantic, out of the blue, in rejecting a term that in common parlance is somewhat loosely applied. At best you're playing at semantics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad