Since 2011-2012, who has been the best Defenseman in the NHL

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Keith followed by Karlsson. Karlsson probably has been more impressive but can't deny Keith's playoff success that he was probably the biggest part of so I'm going with Keith.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I know I hate his fanboys, but Karlsson. Keith is close too though.

Letang use to also be pretty bad defensively and was often injured. Funny how quick people forget these things.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Doughty is the defenceman I'd most like to have out of all them.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Erik Karlsson or death. He has 359 pts in that time period and has produced at .9ppG. He's 60 pts ahead of next on the list Burns in this time period and has averaged 27 minutes a night. He is a freak of nature.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Gotta be Karlsson. His breakout year was 11-12 and ever since he has taken the league by storm.

I would also nominate Suter because towards the end of his career with Nashville he started to make a name for himself and now he is truly flourishing as a number 1 D in Minnesota. He may have even proven to be a better option than the man he lived in the shadow of; Shea Weber.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Gotta be Karlsson. His breakout year was 11-12 and ever since he has taken the league by storm.

I would also nominate Suter because towards the end of his career with Nashville he started to make a name for himself and now he is truly flourishing as a number 1 D in Minnesota. He may have even proven to be a better option than the man he lived in the shadow of; Shea Weber.

Weber is clearly better now and has been the last 5 years. But suter is amazing

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I know I hate his fanboys, but Karlsson. Keith is close too though.

Letang use to also be pretty bad defensively and was often injured. Funny how quick people forget these things.

When was this? Since 2011-2012 his problems have been injuries and his boneheaded plays with the puck.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Over that time period, it's Karlsson and it's not all that close.

Year in and year out, he's up there - 1st or 2nd best season by a defenceman.

Should have 3 trophies right now.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's Karlsson and I don't think twice. Dude has 2 Norris' and if all was fair it would be 3. I don't buy this "well in the playoffs..." narrative because it's not fair. Keith plays for a dynasty and Doughty plays for a team that is runner up for top franchise over the last however many years. It's not EK's fault he plays for a consistently decent team with a huge internal salary cap. He can't control anything beyond his play.

JohnnyTightlips

May 15, 2015
Chicago
This.

Keith
Doughty

Karlsson

Some people stop watching when the playoffs start.

Exactly. Keith and Doughty both are absolute money in the playoffs, and given the timeframe of 2011 onward, won four Cups between them. That is not a knock on Karlsson. It is a leg up for Keith and Doughty, however.

lordjedediah

Mar 21, 2013
It's Karlsson and I don't think twice. Dude has 2 Norris' and if all was fair it would be 3. I don't buy this "well in the playoffs..." narrative because it's not fair. Keith plays for a dynasty and Doughty plays for a team that is runner up for top franchise over the last however many years. It's not EK's fault he plays for a consistently decent team with a huge internal salary cap. He can't control anything beyond his play.

But his play this year has helped the team win more games...

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Karlsson probably.. not a clear choice though IMO..

As an offensive defender he's absolutely amazing but when it comes to actually defending he is not best of the best.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

so, he could play better defense if he just wanted to...?

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad