Since 2000 - Top 10 defensemen - #3

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Souray was my 2nd favorite player of the 2000's after Koivu by far so this is an easy vote for me.

That being said, Hamrlik was no slouch for us. Great all around defenceman.

There is a huge drop off after the top 4 though. It will get interesting.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'd say Souray had 3 very nice years, topped by the monster year. Hamrlik had a couple good years and a couple mediocre ones. I voted Souray. I think his defensive issues get overstated at times. (He had issues - just they are overstated). I voted Souray.

Rivet and Gorges are up next. Solid enough guys... says something about our D in the last decade+, though. :S

He said it for me.

And Souray had an absolute howitzer and won games by that alone.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Souray was a lot of fun, for more than just his shot. Hamrlik was just solid, though. And for that reason, Hamrlik gets the nod from me. I don't even think I'd put Souray #4 necessarily.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
Hamrlik gets my vote, Souray's big season was mostly due to the crazy amount of powerplays around the league for the first few years after the lockout (fun fact: Hamrlik had more ES points every season he was with the Habs than Souray did during his 64 pts season) and he did a terrific job replacing Markov who was injured alot during the last two years that he was here.

HM to Wiz, I know he wasn't here that long so he's not in the poll but he was awesome. He missed lots of game to injury the last two years but he was really good for the Blue Jackets last season. It actually looks like his deal might end up like the Hamrlik one, UFA deal that every one laughs at, that ends up being really good in insight.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The next two are easily the 44's.

But I have to go with Hamrlik here.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Hamrlik was great his first two seasons then took a nosedive and became atrocious.

Souray had his moments defensively, but he was fantastic offensively. Plus I've never seen a fighter of his quality for the Habs (non-enforcer). He didn't fight often, but watch the **** out if you ever angered him.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Hamrlik was great his first two seasons then took a nosedive and became atrocious.

Souray had his moments defensively, but he was fantastic offensively. Plus I've never seen a fighter of his quality for the Habs (non-enforcer). He didn't fight often, but watch the **** out if you ever angered him.

Hamrlik was never atrocious with us. His nosedive was with the Crapitals.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
man that list is depressing. who's gonna bother voting for Dykhuis and Dandy and the likes... =(

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
With a whopping 94.24%, Andrei Markov was voted as the #2 Habs d-man since 2000.

1) PK Subban (47.65%)
2. Andrei Markov (94.24%)

Who will #3 be?

No way PK should be ahead of Markov. PK wasn't even around for 6 or 7 of Markov's years. Markov should be #1 by a landslide.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Hamrlik was never atrocious with us. His nosedive was with the Crapitals.

He became very bad, especially his last season. He skated like a tortoise, constantly getting beat. My grandmother also shot harder than him, therefore he provided little offence either.

Obviously in general terms he was always serviceable, but compared to his first two seasons, it was night and day.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah he slowed down after being overused. Just like Markov the past two years.

But at least Markov's defensive abilities have more to do with fantastic stick work. Hamrlik had to rely more on physicality. Plus Markov actually provides high-end offensive skills, so even if he does diminish defensively, he'll have a use.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah he slowed down after being overused. Just like Markov the past two years.

Markov has never been as bad as Hamrlik was his last two years. Hamrlik is closer to Gorges than to Markov and they don't belong in the same sentence. Markov was a top15 d-man in the league at the time of his injuries -- Hamrlik's jack of of everything, master of none schtick could soak up a lot of minutes but wasn't particularly good.

Souray on the other hand had 3 GREAT years on some really poor, really poorly coached teams.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
But at least Markov's defensive abilities have more to do with fantastic stick work. Hamrlik had to rely more on physicality. Plus Markov actually provides high-end offensive skills, so even if he does diminish defensively, he'll have a use.

Hamrlik's Last Hab Year: 34 Pts, 22 TOI/G

Markov's Last Hab Year: 43 Pts, 25 TOI/G

A younger Markov so much better than an older Hamrlik, so much better.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Hamrlik's Last Hab Year: 34 Pts, 22 TOI/G

Markov's Last Hab Year: 43 Pts, 25 TOI/G

A younger Markov so much better than an older Hamrlik, so much better.

This is the exact argument someone that does not watch hockey would make.

You conveniently ignore the year before when Hamrlik had 26 points in 75 games, whereas Markov had 30 points in 48 games, including 10 goals, a total Hamrlik last reached when he was 27.

But all you have to do is have watched them both to realize Hamrlik was barely a passable 2nd unit PP guy, whereas Markov is an excellent 1st unit QB.

Ridiculous argument.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
This is the exact argument someone that does not watch hockey would make.

You conveniently ignore the year before when Hamrlik had 26 points in 75 games, whereas Markov had 30 points in 48 games, including 10 goals, a total Hamrlik last reached when he was 27.

But all you have to do is have watched them both to realize Hamrlik was barely a passable 2nd unit PP guy, whereas Markov is an excellent 1st unit QB.

Ridiculous argument.

And you are ignoring the stats for the year I posted. I guess we're even. :laugh:

Markov has high end skills - no doubt. I just think you're cutting Hamrlik short when his responsibilities included much more while Markov was out. That's all.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
And you are ignoring the stats for the year I posted. I guess we're even. :laugh:

Markov has high end skills - no doubt. I just think you're cutting Hamrlik short when his responsibilities included much more while Markov was out. That's all.

Hamrlik trying to fill in Markov's void was still not passable as a #1 or a #2 (due to his terrible PP presence).

But you're a well known, prevalent Hamrlik fanboy. So, there isn't much to argue here.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
The dropoff after two is pretty dramatic.

Hamrlik trying to fill in Markov's void was still not passable as a #1 or a #2 (due to his terrible PP presence).

But you're a well known, prevalent Hamrlik fanboy. So, there isn't much to argue here.

I also knew I'd find you arguing against Hamrlik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad