Since 2000 - Top 10 defensemen - #3

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Markov has never been as bad as Hamrlik was his last two years. Hamrlik is closer to Gorges than to Markov and they don't belong in the same sentence. Markov was a top15 d-man in the league at the time of his injuries -- Hamrlik's jack of of everything, master of none schtick could soak up a lot of minutes but wasn't particularly good.

Souray on the other hand had 3 GREAT years on some really poor, really poorly coached teams.

Of course he was never as bad as Hamrlik was. Hamrlik was never as good to begin with. It was only a parallel to show that overusing a player with older legs can have that effect on the long term.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I feel like people have been little bit influenced by Souray underperformance after he left the organization. Before he left, I remember it was a close call who to keep between Souray and Markov?
Hamrlik was good second pairing defenseman
But Souray had been a Habs for 6 years, with 3 solid years (one before the lockout and two after the lockout) and he left as a superstar with 81-26-38-64-135 (3rd D in points, 1st D in goals by far) He was one of the biggest threat in the NHL on the PP + he was big and though to play against

I really don't see how Hamrlik can be placed in front of Souray?
Maybe if Hamrlik was super consistent I could of understand. But, I remember is 1st and particularly is 3rd years with us were pretty rough ones...

Last edited:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Because Souray was a pylon. I liked him a lot for his qualities but defensively, he was awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad