TBN: Simulcast no more...

minuteater

does not cohmpeet
Apr 28, 2010
Buffalo
Opportunities squandered did in Sabres
Buffalo, which has simulcast Rick Jeanneret’s play-by-play on television and radio since 1997, is expected to split the two feeds beginning next season, multiple sources tell The Buffalo News. Different announcing teams would represent MSG and WGR-AM 550.

Jeanneret has already said he promised to call every game for this season only, which will leave an undetermined void for the television broadcasts.
- John Vogl

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I figured Pegula bucks would make this happen once RJ chose to hang it up.

I nominate Paul Hamilton for radio PxP.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Good move, I still think RJ is great for radio (really, he's a radio announcer who happens to do TV) but Rob Ray does not seem to comprehend the fact that there are people listening on the radio as evidenced by the countless times he says "we're going to show you right here..."

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I nominate Paul Hamilton for radio PxP.

I think that's probably a given, since WGR's contract for covering Sabres' games was recently extended and Hamilton is an employee of the station.

As for the TV side, RJ's status will once again depend more on his desire/willingness to continue on rather than if the organization wants him back. Going through some more mediocre seasons in the foreseeable future may discourage RJ from wanting to continue - especially for a full 82-game season again. But I have to believe that the Sabres realize how fragile their relationship with the ticket-buying public and fans is becoming and that any olive branch of PR effect (such as retaining the popular Jeanneret) they can manage will be pursued.

The telecasts were better this season than previous years but I didn't see any real benefit to Robitaille's scripted play breakdowns. Brian Duff was breath of fresh air and he certainly was allowed - and willing - to add his typically-thoughtful insights and comments in between periods. However, I'd still ideally like him to be alongside RJ to break down the plays as he sees them and hear from him for the full game rather than the studio host role.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Whatever happens, please give me Duff in the booth or between benches. He's much better than just a studio host.

He's done play by play before, correct? I know he's dabbled in NLL commentary.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Good move, I still think RJ is great for radio (really, he's a radio announcer who happens to do TV) but Rob Ray does not seem to comprehend the fact that there are people listening on the radio as evidenced by the countless times he says "we're going to show you right here..."

Honestly, I listened to the Rangers game on WGR since it was moved to NHL Network and I couldn't watch it on Center Ice. What you say about Ray is absolutely true but I couldn't really follow RJ either. He's been doing TV so long (almost 20 years I think) that, combined with his age, he's not really a strong radio PxP. Just my opinion.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Whatever happens, please give me Duff in the booth or between benches. He's much better than just a studio host.

He's done play by play before, correct? I know he's dabbled in NLL commentary.

According to his NHL bio, his PxP experience was limited to lacrosse. He's been a studio host and reporter otherwise:

Duff has been involved in sports broadcasting for more than 15 years, with a strong focus on hockey. The veteran broadcaster can be seen nightly during the NHL season on NHL On The Fly.

Prior to joining NHL Network, Duff spent six years as the pre- and post-game host for Toronto Maple Leafs hockey on Leafs TV. His extensive hockey broadcasting career also includes stints as the radio host for pre- and post-game coverage of the Ottawa Senators and Edmonton Oilers and radio game analyst for the WHL's Medicine Hat Tigers.

In addition, Duff worked at The Score as an anchor and reporter and provided play-by-play for Ottawa Rebel lacrosse and the Mann Cup. Duff has also freelanced for key U.S.-based media outlets including ESPN and Associated Press.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=59752

That said, he's proven to be a well-spoken and insightful analyst and I wouldn't see him having any difficulty in keeping up as a color commentator alongside a PxP man.

Ray's gotten better in the past 2 years but he's still not as polished or able to provide eloquent, original analysis. He's good at reporting, from an ex-player's eyes, what is happening at the ice level - he often calls out the penalties, goal deflections, etc. that he sees from the bench quicker than anyone in the booth can. In that capacity, I think he's effective.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Ray can go home. His grammar and vocabulary is on par with Ali. If he didn't play here for 16 years he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell at a job.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm going to take cover and return fire if necessary, but I'm not all that impressed with RJ over the last couple years. He messes up names and numbers on a regular basis, fails to actually see what happened or where the puck went on occasion, and his crazy voice inflection has started to annoy me ("----- with the SHO-ot"). I don't know of anyone that could adequately replace him though, unless Pegula can bribe Gary Thorne.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'm going to take cover and return fire if necessary, but I'm not all that impressed with RJ over the last couple years. He messes up names and numbers on a regular basis, fails to actually see what happened or where the puck went on occasion, and his crazy voice inflection has started to annoy me ("----- with the SHO-ot"). I don't know of anyone that could adequately replace him though, unless Pegula can bribe Gary Thorne.

It's pretty clear he's lost a few steps. He still covers the actual play better than most guys, though. It'll be weird not having him, but it'll be time to move on soon.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

Glad you mentioned Gary Thorne. He is not a good hockey pxp guy. He is a GREAT hockey pxp guy and we would do very well to have him if RJ is hanging it up.

Thorne has been sorely missed since ESPN dropped hockey.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. I wonder if the TV/radio split effectively means RJ has decided to retire. This might be the only reason to watch that final game vs. the Islanders. I really hope RJ does not have a "special message" to send at the end of the broadcast.

:cry:

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Honestly, I listened to the Rangers game on WGR since it was moved to NHL Network and I couldn't watch it on Center Ice. What you say about Ray is absolutely true but I couldn't really follow RJ either. He's been doing TV so long (almost 20 years I think) that, combined with his age, he's not really a strong radio PxP. Just my opinion.

RJ is a good radio guy IMO because his voice level and intonation clues you into what's going on in the game. Like, I know if the Sabres just had a good chance or not based on just the tone of voice he uses to call the play.

Puddy

Oct 24, 2002
parts unknown
Visit site
My Center Ice package in Canada only had the Buffalo Home Team coverage about 5 times all season. I can tell you that RJ and the MSG coverage is the best in the entire NHL. So quit your *****ing. Those of us that don't get MSG will happily listen to Rob Ray for 2 minutes every period. I would pay double if it meant I would never have to hear the Bruins coverage ever again. (I know about Game Center. Not interested til the quality is better. And I don't like that it is 2 mins behind.)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Glad you mentioned Gary Thorne. He is not a good hockey pxp guy. He is a GREAT hockey pxp guy and we would do very well to have him if RJ is hanging it up.

Thorne has been sorely missed since ESPN dropped hockey.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. I wonder if the TV/radio split effectively means RJ has decided to retire. This might be the only reason to watch that final game vs. the Islanders. I really hope RJ does not have a "special message" to send at the end of the broadcast.

:cry:

Gary loves his gig as the PxP guy on MASN for the Orioles. I don't see him leaving here to call Sabres games.

Imagining Defeat

Dec 16, 2007
Satellite of Love
My Center Ice package in Canada only had the Buffalo Home Team coverage about 5 times all season. I can tell you that RJ and the MSG coverage is the best in the entire NHL. So quit your *****ing. Those of us that don't get MSG will happily listen to Rob Ray for 2 minutes every period. I would pay double if it meant I would never have to hear the Bruins coverage ever again. (I know about Game Center. Not interested til the quality is better. And I don't like that it is 2 mins behind.)

He's the full-time color guy...so it's waayy more than 2 minutes...it doesn't help that Ray thinks you can't have any dead air either...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This is long overdue. You could go 15 minutes listenening to these guys on the radio and never hear the score. They completely forgot they were a radio team, too.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
Ray can go home. His grammar and vocabulary is on par with Ali. If he didn't play here for 16 years he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell at a job.

This is how I feel. The guy has the brain of a baked bean, sorry to say. I'd like to see the Sabres represented by intelligent hockey-types.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
There's zero chance Gary Thorne(no relation) leaves his gig as the Orioles broadcaster. He's got his cushy job and unless he loves hockey THAT MUCH more than his Orioles, dream on.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
There's zero chance Gary Thorne(no relation) leaves his gig as the Orioles broadcaster. He's got his cushy job and unless he loves hockey THAT MUCH more than his Orioles, dream on.

Yeah, Thorne has enough work already, and the O's are his biggest deal. He does some Frozen Four work too, on top of all the other gigs he has.

This job he doesn't need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad