Simply put, Dallas is not making the playoffs

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
They have had a relatively soft schedule to start the season and they have not looked good. It will only get worse and so will the Stars.

They cannot win on the road and they cannot score 5 on 5.

Their depth on the wing has to be bottom five in the league and there is zero A or even B prospects coming to help in that regard. If you are down in the dumps and you find yourself feeling lost, go ahead and look at the Stars wingers after Rads and Benn and just try not to laugh.

Bishop has been OK but he is not stealing games.

Big brained Nill's drafting has been absolutely horrific. Like, "How is he employed?" bad.

Spezza looks finished.

Hitchcock should have retired.

Source: Stars fan

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
depth is AWFUL and yeah not much coming out of the draft

wow they havent drafted an impact player (top 6/top 4/starter) since niskanen in 2005 YIKES

seems brendan morrow is the only first rounder whos had an actual impact in dallas ever

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Keep Benn + Seguin + Klingberg + Dickinson + Lindell. Everybody else should be on the table.

+Rads.

But Dickinson is so mediocre. There is nothing special about him whatsover. He's another generic AHL forward swappable with any of their other hopeless slugs.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
+Rads.

But Dickinson is so mediocre. There is nothing special about him whatsover. He's another generic AHL forward swappable with any of their other hopeless slugs.

Good to know. I think I mixed him up with Jason Robertson, your recent 2nd round draft pick, who I really like.

As for Radulov, I don't think he should be an untouchable. He's a good player, but could garner a big haul for your retool.

I don't think the turn around is going to be that long and grueling. Seguin, Benn, Klingberg and Lindell are great pieces. With Heiskanen coming in, you might actually develop a fantastic defense.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I got roasted here in the summer for saying Nill was a overrated GM and i think he got ranked pretty high by people here. But man o man for their sake hopefully they get some upcoming games against the Canucks to boost their confidence :laugh:

:cry:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
This team needs help and Hitch isnt doing us any favors.

I would actually add Janmark to the decent wingers we have as before tonight he was on a 46 ish point pace which is totally reasonable.

I dont agree that Spezza is washed up. I actually think he has a decent amount left to give its just he is a playmaker and he is being strapped with the worst of our wingers. Ritchie and Elie just dont cut it and they have been on his wing for way too long. When he isnt center Hitch has put him on Hanzal's wing. Hanzal is not fast and neither is Spezza. They both need speed and having them on the same line is a disaster.

Finally any team that ice Pateryn and Oleksiak semi regularly will be trash 5v5. Thanks to those 2 we have 2/3 pairings on D that simply cannot move the puck forward on a regular basis. Its an absolute nightmare to watch. They both continuously pass to no one or wait the extra second and get closed down. Its embarrassing that we think they are still NHLers.

Ritchie and Elie need to be sent into the sun with Oleksiak and Pateryn. Honka needs to be back up in a sheltered role and then we go from there. Im 100% for addressing our needs once we figure out what exactly they are because with everyone playing over their head or out of position everything looks more shit than it is.

Reactions: jvr32

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I don't understand the point of weakening the roster for future's during Benn's prime. If you feel the team needs to be torn down, you might as well trade Benn and Seguin too for some real prospect talent.

Also it's November. Calm down.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Also yes our drafting needs help. Our Euro scouts are showing their worth with just about any prospect worth a damn being from over seas but out NA scouts have to be near the worst in the league. We freaking suck at drafting over the past few years and its painfully obvious

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Good to know. I think I mixed him up with Jason Robertson, your recent 2nd round draft pick, who I really like.

I like Robertson too. To be fair to Nill I thought his first three picks in 2017 were great but Heiskanen was a lay up. But reaching on Gurianov for example is unforgivable

As for Radulov, I don't think he should be an untouchable. He's a good player, but could garner a big haul for your retool.

I don't think the turn around is going to be that long and grueling. Seguin, Benn, Klingberg and Lindell are great pieces. With Heiskanen coming in, you might actually develop a fantastic defense.

And Honka. Defense I'm less concerned about...it's the lack of any type of forwards that can score beyond AHL level.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't understand the point of weakening the roster for future's during Benn's prime. If you feel the team needs to be torn down, you might as well trade Benn and Seguin too for some real prospect talent.

Also it's November. Calm down.

You expect them to make the playoffs with this roster? November or not it's pretty clear how they are trending.

The only way is if Bishop goes into Vezina mode. They are not going to outscore the opposition with the collection of forwards they have now unless Bishop goes beast.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm honestly expecting them to make it on the merits of the fact that they've allowed the fewest shots against per game in the NHL, and when you combine that level of shot suppression with a Vezina candidate in Bishop and offensive stars like Benn, Seguin, Klingberg, and Radulov, you don't have a team that's going to miss the playoffs.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Hitchcock is such a bad coach.

The fact they can't score 5v5 is ridiculous since the roster has improved since last year. From what I recall, Dallas had to problem with secondary scoring last season. This Hitchcock system is just trash for 5v5.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
But every Off-season Nill "wins".

How can this be?

You know, people get bored during the offseasons around here and start rolling out stuff like that. I've never been a big fan of it but it's understandable and boredom driven.

Now, when it comes to Nill and results since he started in Dallas I think you have to put things into two main categories. One is roster assembling via trades and signings. The other is drafting. Drafting under Nill has been surprisingly weak. Given that was his calling card I had hoped that would be his strong point but it hasn't turned out that way so far. He and his scouting team get a failing grade.

IMO, he has aced the other category. Now, you can argue with that given what people see as problem areas of the roster as of today, but the big moves he has made have paid off pretty big. I can't think of many moves that may have been made but weren't. The weaknesses on the roster are basically all a result of a weak prospect system. Look at the bright spots on the roster and virtually all of them (aside from two of the brightest in Benn and Klingberg) are in Dallas because of Nill. Even Klingberg you have to give him huge credit for acknowledging the special player he was becoming after just his rookie season and locking him up to a great value contract.

Lots of work to do to surround the bright spots in Dallas, though.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think Nill
You know, people get bored during the offseasons around here and start rolling out stuff like that. I've never been a big fan of it but it's understandable and boredom driven.

Now, when it comes to Nill and results since he started in Dallas I think you have to put things into two main categories. One is roster assembling via trades and signings. The other is drafting. Drafting under Nill has been surprisingly weak. Given that was his calling card I had hoped that would be his strong point but it hasn't turned out that way so far. He and his scouting team get a failing grade.

IMO, he has aced the other category. Now, you can argue with that given what people see as problem areas of the roster as of today, but the big moves he has made have paid off pretty big. I can't think of many moves that may have been made but weren't. The weaknesses on the roster are basically all a result of a weak prospect system. Look at the bright spots on the roster and virtually all of them (aside from two of the brightest in Benn and Klingberg) are in Dallas because of Nill. Even Klingberg you have to give him huge credit for acknowledging the special player he was becoming after just his rookie season and locking him up to a great value contract.

Lots of work to do to surround the bright spots in Dallas, though.
I think I can add a bit to your explanation.

When Nill signs someone or makes a trade (his strengths in Dallas), he usually gets a big name player for 2-5 seasons and they usually hit the cap pretty hard.

It looks good on paper, but he ends up with some misses too AND they aren't there very long. For every good signing, another one hurts him. For every good trade, it only lasts a short while before he has to make another good trade. That is the big benefit of hitting it with draft picks, the players last a lot longer.

If he were just patching holes or if he had started with a contender, he'd be a genius, instead he's treading water and getting older with a mediocre team. Dallas actually does hit some good depth guys in the draft, but they seem to balance it by missing out with quite a few 1st rounders. Not all of them are Nill's fault of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad