Speculation: Simple question for consideration

The 2018-19 Ottawa Senators are better off without Erik Karlsson.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Heard an opinion and thought I'd see how widespread it is in our fanbase.

Note, the question is not if the Sens are better off long term. Just that the Senators are a better hockey team this current season.

Feel free to provide the rationale for your decision in a post on the subject.

Last edited:

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
No. I guess some people could argue that Chabot wouldn't have broken out with him here, but that would be a coaching issue, not a Karlsson issue. Imagine having Karlsson or Chabot on the ice for almost the entire game? As for his poor start, the underlying numbers show he's still playing at an elite level, the points aren't there, but they'll come as he gets used to his new team and his team gets used to him.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
They are better off if the Owner has no interest in spending money to make this team a legitimate Cup contenders. There is no point in keeping a generation type of defenseman on a below-average team

If we were legitimately contending for a Cup, then of course trading away a generational Defenseman would've been the dumbest move to ever make in sports history

With all that being said, Yes, we are better off trading Karlsson for 18-19 season, and beyond. The return we got for him could've been a bit better, though.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That is not what the question asked.

Really?

The 2018-19 Ottawa Senators are better off without Erik Karlsson

Agree or disagree?

So far, yes without a doubt. Outside of their regular terrible periods, they seem to do well. If they could diminish the impact of these « bad periods », then they might be able to stay in the playoffs race for most of the season

Although last year, « trouble » only began mid-November so who knows? It’s still pretty early in the season

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Really?

Agree or disagree?

So far, yes without a doubt. Outside of their regular terrible periods, they seem to do well. If they could diminish the impact of these « bad periods », then they might be able to stay in the playoffs race for most of the season
So if the current version of the Sens could add Erik Karlsson, they would be a worse team?

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So if the current version of the Sens could add Erik Karlsson, they would be a worse team?

They would probably be better but he wouldn’t fix the terrible defensive system and subpar goaltending.

The PP probably wouldn’t be as good and if he wouldn’t have wanted to change the way the team plays (everything has to go through him), then it could have been a problem. But if he was ready to adapt his game like he had to do in SJ, yes the team would be better.

Of course I wanted to keep Karlsson to have a deeper blue line, who didn’t?

So what is the point here?

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Really?

Agree or disagree?

Although last year, « trouble » only began mid-November so who knows? It’s still pretty early in the season

you're focusing on last year only when the question implies everything as a whole...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They would probably be better but he wouldn’t fix the terrible defensive system and subpar goaltending.

The PP probably wouldn’t be as good and if he wouldn’t have wanted to change the way the team plays (everything has to go through him), then it could have been a problem. But if he was ready to adapt his game like he had to do in SJ, yes the team would be better.

Of course I wanted to keep Karlsson to have a deeper blue line, who didn’t?

So what is the point here?

Just checking if there are other posters who think this version of the Sens is better off without EK.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
For me having EK would have been great,but I can also see the other side of the coin....The problem with the whole mess is how it was handled,which has been the norm for Ottawa and its star talent...The latter needs to change period

Reactions: aragorn

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's really not. Last year we had a 1st rounder.
After seeing Tkachuk play,I think we made the right call about keeping the pick....Now if we give up the 1OA I will be just as pissed as everybody here ,but the odds are in our favor

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wow, you thought our discussion was important enough to have it's own thread when it's really just a difference of opinion between you & I. I get that you hate the fact that they traded your favourite player & I agree he was a dynamic offensive defenceman but IMO it was time to move on from him. A poll that favourites either of those opinions isn't going to change my mind & I doubt it would change yours.

Don't most people agree with you anyways? Besides it's a hypothetical question which can only be answered with an opinion, nobody knows for sure whether they would be better or wouldn't be, there are so many variables & what ifs associated to the answer. Who knows for sure?

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You're always better off adding to your talent. No question we would be better off with him still here.

Thats been one of our problems in trying to improve, we usually have to send out close to equal players for financial reasons like Zibanejad for Brassard or Turris for Duchene.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You're always better off adding to your talent. No question we would be better off with him still here.

Thats been one of our problems in trying to improve, we usually have to send out close to equal players for financial reasons like Zibanejad for Brassard or Turris for Duchene.
A number of teams add talent at the deadline & on July 1st free agent day but it doesn't always work out for them. Sometimes yes & sometimes no & we can all think of examples of both. Then there is the question of the room & whether a player divides a room or brings it together, adding a super star doesn't always result in success but we also can't argue against it when it seems at the time like the right move. Lots of people on here wanted Ryan at the time, now most crap on the guy mostly for his contract & injuries. There are always variables involved. Tkachuk seems like the kind of guy that brings a room together with his youthful exuberance but in a few yrs he could be seen as an A-hole, who knows.

I agree with the financial aspect with this team is always in question but it could also be argued that Zibanejad wasn't taking that next step & becoming the superstar they needed, he was lacking something. Not to say that Brassard was a better player but he was here during the conference final run & helped the team get there. Would Zibanejad have helped maybe yes & maybe no, how will we ever know for sure? I was against trading Turris but they added a better player, I don't think we can argue against that but what can be argued is at what cost? Before all this nonsense with the owner I think most Sens fans would be happy to have Duchene on their team & adding a player of his caliber most could say is worth a 1st rd pick. Unfortunately, that trade seemed to have been a catalyst for all the crap that has happened since then. And with that video release their are questions about him, did that bring the group together or divide the room? All that to say the team looks like they are having fun (sometimes), they are fun & exciting to watch (sometimes) & seem to be thriving better than they were (sometimes) & getting along better & scoring more. But that is strictly my opinion, no more than that.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
at 6.5 yes, at 11 million no, I kind of against giving any player double digit salary, (unless its a 5 year deal or less)

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
at 6.5 yes, at 11 million no, I kind of against giving any player double digit salary, (unless its a 5 year deal or less)
Erik Karlsson was scheduled to make 6.5 M this season. Since we are only discussing this year, future contracts are immaterial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad