Simple Keeper Advice Needed!

scamps44

Mar 24, 2010
I can keep 2 of the following players! Who you would you carry into next year?!

Voracek

Gaborik

E. Kane

Kadri

Pietrangelo

G, A, PIM, +/-

You keep 7... But I'm for sure keeping Tavares, Getzlaf, D.Sedin, Price and Luongo... It's my last two that I need help deciding on. :help: PLEASE AND THANKS!

scamps44

Mar 24, 2010
Pietrangelo and gaborik/ kadri... I'd go pietrangelo and gaborik

Yeah Pietro would be very tough not to keep, bit of an off year but I feel like he will bounce back into 50+ points. Rather not be drafting my top defence man in the first two rounds. Thanks for your opinion.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Petro's gonna have a huge year.... Schwartz is my BIG breakout candidate i'd pick him up late in every draft... tarasenko's gonna be back stronger and healthy, then adding Derek Roy will be big too.... I easily see this being the year petro puts up 55-60 pts

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
i'd keep gaborik over E.Kane just because Gaborik is THE GUY in CBJ.. he's top line and top PP... E. Kane is on WPG's second line rather than first...

If this were about overall play i'd say E. Kane to but for fantasy Gaborik is the way to go... since I see u also are keeping a lot of centers that get big assist totals i'd say to keep gaborik since he's probly gonna be a 40 goal scorer give or take and stay away from nazem as since he'd be like ur 5th center and he's only had one good season and it was a 48 game one... also don't trust what his +/- will be in Toronto...

so IMO i'd keep petro and gabby

whlscowt

I like where everyone is with Pie--the fact that you aren't keeping any ther dmen either makes for a much stronger case as well.

The second one though is a bit harder, but when you look at your current crop of keepers, and your categories, you really aren't building a pim machine (Tavares, Sedin, Getzlaf aren't likely to get you more than 150 pims combined next year). And in a Roto or Categories league, I always find it's better to pick and choose a few categories to excel in rather than try and be okay at everything.

So going with goals and assists (+/- is too hard to predict), I think the two best options are Kadri and Voracek. I'd lean towards Voracek for two reasons, I think Philly had a down year and will improve offensively, and I worry who lines up beside Kadri (if it all--you could see an O'Rielly scenario where he misses part of the season--I encourage you to wait as much as you can to make this decision).

TLDR version: Pie and Voracek

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
true.. but when u have Tavares, getzlaf and sedin... ur gonna dominate assists... the way u win fantasy leagues is obviously being good at every category...

Thus grabbing gaborik could be huge because u know he'll get around 40 goals if he stays healthy and he'll put up assists playing with Horton.

U can still draft more scoring/pim guys as well to round out ur team... but investing all ur offense in assists when u could probly still be amongst the leagues best in assists and have a lot of goals too (with gaborik) is imo the way to go

whlscowt

Actually, the way you win category leagues is winning the most categories. You don't have to win them all.

Gaborik had less goals (12) than Kane (17), Kadri (18) and Voracek (22). And before you say, well he was on the Rangers for most of the season... he only scored 3 goals in 12 games for the Jackets. I project him to be better than that 20 goal pace, and he'll do fine, but I don't think he's a superior goal scorer in comparison to the other three--not anymore.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
yeah.. But I think this year he's gonna be huge just a hunch... and he's proved before he can put up 40. forgot he only put up 12 this year tho

whlscowt

Good point. :)

At the end of the day we don't really know though. I think we've given the OP lots to think about haha.

scamps44

Mar 24, 2010
Good point. :)

At the end of the day we don't really know though. I think we've given the OP lots to think about haha.

Thank you and as well as STLBLUE! Good advice, I think you both helped in my thought on keeping Pietro.... It's head to head but its not categories! It's points based per week. 3 pts for goal, 2 pts for assist, .5/-.5 for +/- and .5 per PIM we also have game winners being an extra 4pts so that plays a big role and could swing a week if your guys score some big game winners.

Sounds like I can eliminate Kadri... Focus on Gaborik and Kane, with Voracek still in the picture.

I believe you mentioned your concern as to why I'm not keeping more D. I just think in our 12 team league, everyone is keeping 7, most are keeping there top 2 goalies, and at the end of the day most GM's will keep there power house forwards over their Dman. Unless you have like Letang, Subban, Karlssson, Weber and Pietrangelo.

I like the idea of keeping a D man, that way I don't need to waste a first or second round pick on selecting my #1 dman, can wait until 3-5th round depending on how the draft is going.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Thank you and as well as STLBLUE! Good advice, I think you both helped in my thought on keeping Pietro.... It's head to head but its not categories! It's points based per week. 3 pts for goal, 2 pts for assist, .5/-.5 for +/- and .5 per PIM we also have game winners being an extra 4pts so that plays a big role and could swing a week if your guys score some big game winners.

Sounds like I can eliminate Kadri... Focus on Gaborik and Kane, with Voracek still in the picture.

I believe you mentioned your concern as to why I'm not keeping more D. I just think in our 12 team league, everyone is keeping 7, most are keeping there top 2 goalies, and at the end of the day most GM's will keep there power house forwards over their Dman. Unless you have like Letang, Subban, Karlssson, Weber and Pietrangelo.

I like the idea of keeping a D man, that way I don't need to waste a first or second round pick on selecting my #1 dman, can wait until 3-5th round depending on how the draft is going.

no problem... thinkin petro/gabby or petro/voracek IMO... if voracek is with giroux on top line then he could be real good again

scamps44

Mar 24, 2010
Piet and E. Kane

Kane is someone I want to keep so bad! I could see him being a regular 30+ goal scorer. I'm just not sure on winnipeg... long term and not having to worry about a potential injury gives him a bit of an edge over gaborik.

scamps44

Mar 24, 2010
Voracek and Petro. If Voracek palys with Giroux and hartnell, then he'll have the most points.

I think I have been convinced that Voracek is the best choice. I think it would be surprising if Voracek is split from G on the top line, as they had so much success together last year.

I feel like I could get a good return on the trade market for Evanader Kane... and Gaborik.

whlscowt

That could change everything. Let's take a look.

According to that scoring system their fantasy outputs last season were:

Voracek (140), Kane (137.5), Kadri (129), Gaborik (91.5), Pietrangelo (58)

Honestly, looking at these numbers, my initial judgement on Voracek doesn't change. That game winning goals stat along with +/- are going to make things impossible to guess (KUNITZ was your leagues MVP last year) but here's what I'm thinking.

Don't keep Pie. Only 6 dmen in your league last year (Subban, Weber, Phaneuf, Yandle, Letang, and Chara) had a better output than just Gaborik. And none of them put up better numbers than Voracek, Kane, or Kadri. Pietrangelo is a great defenseman, and he's likely going to improve upon his numbers but even if he won the Norris (and I don't see that big of an improvement on the offensive side of things, not with Hitchcock as coach) he wouldn't likely match the output of two of those forwards you're thinking of dropping.

The gap between forwards and defense is massive. AND there's enough depth at the middle of the defense pool that you're going to get decent players at the draft. You're better off keeping Voracek and Kane (or even Kadri) and then testing your skills at the draft by picking up some undervalued defensemen.

Reel2Reel

Aug 3, 2013
Piet and Kane. Piet for obvious reasons and Kane because I think he has the potential to step his game up another level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad