Simon Gagne wants to make an NHL return next season

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Gagne + Vinny + Briere 4th line :sarcasm:

Let's go full Buffalo mode and make that our first line. Trade Giroux and Voracek for McDavid or Eichel (oh wait, they are not worth that much...) and hire Berube to completly ruin Mason's knee.

Honestly, I would be on board for that just for the lols:laugh:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
We are showing gagne respect in a realistic approach and he earned it deserves it from our organization.
He was one of my fav all time flyas.
The coolest play he ever made was a game in van, tied 0-0 1.2 secs on the clock, he sneaks around the net buries the biscuit. I will never forget being at that game, and that play.
I will forget a lot of stuff down the road, but that will be the one thing that I will remember.
He's done. A 1 day contract and a retirement party will be an event he deserves.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He must be broke

I doubt it. He made over $40M in his career just in contracts & doesn't seem to be a dumb guy. Even so his body is shot if money was his motivation there's other ways to do it than continue to risk your livelihood.

He's just another vet that can't let go. We're seeing it right now with Vinny.

Last edited:

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Recently on TVA Sports, he said that he moved to Quebec City and would just play with the Nordiques, if they came back, or retire. He doesn't want to make his family move again and again.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Recently on TVA Sports, he said that he moved to Quebec City and would just play with the Nordiques, if they came back, or retire. He doesn't want to make his family move again and again.

... So he is thinking down the road?... Staying in shape and looking at a Mario/Jagr/Lafleur type comeback? Best of luck to him... but it looks like to me that this was all from some meandering sort of interview and gained legs.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I doubt it. He made over $40M in his career just in contracts & doesn't seem to be a dumb guy.
chop away half of that in taxes right off the bat and if he made some investments in either property and/or a whole myriad of stocks & funds that saw the bottom drop out during the economic disaster circa 07/08 & he could be a bit hard up for some $$$...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
chop away half of that in taxes right off the bat and if he made some investments in either property and/or a whole myriad of stocks & funds that saw the bottom drop out during the economic disaster circa 07/08 & he could be a bit hard up for some $$$...

Well that's just in contracts. It's not factoring in endorsements. If he was broke I'm sure we would have heard something about it.

The post above leads me to believe that's not the case as he claims he'll come back to a team that isn't even existent at the moment.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
He's just another vet that can't let go. We're seeing it right now with Vinny.
I think that's a bit unfair. The quote from Gagne (during the Memorial Cup) was along the lines of, "I'm going to keep working out and stay in shape for now and see what happens. I would hate to let go if there was a chance of something coming through in June or July."

If a team is willing to pay for his services, more power to him. And if no one wants him, then I'm sure he understands. But there's no real reason to retire any second before he needs to. The only reason is legacy, but I think fans tend to care more about that than players do.

I concede that it's different for Lecavalier where his own team has absolutely no interest in him. But for a free agent like Gagne, I don't see what he gets out of retiring now if he does have interest in playing.

Not that I'd even consider bringing him back...

Couldn't you say this about...anyone?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think that's a bit unfair. The quote from Gagne (during the Memorial Cup) was along the lines of, "I'm going to keep working out and stay in shape for now and see what happens. I would hate to let go if there was a chance of something coming through in June or July."

If a team is willing to pay for his services, more power to him. And if no one wants him, then I'm sure he understands. But there's no real reason to retire any second before he needs to. The only reason is legacy, but I think fans tend to care more about that than players do.

I concede that it's different for Lecavalier where his own team has absolutely no interest in him. But for a free agent like Gagne, I don't see what he gets out of retiring now if he does have interest in playing.

Not that I'd even consider bringing him back...

Meh whatever, I don't think money is his motivation for trying to come back which was my main point.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Meh, whatever I don't think money is his motivation for trying to come back which was my main point.

Oh, I agree, I was just saying that I think it's a little harsh to say he can't let go when I think it's more of a "I'd consider still playing if the right opportunity came" kind of deal.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Couldn't you say this about...anyone?
not anyone
just a very small group that are clearly washed-up but considering a comeback
I don't think it's money either but...when a guy looks as done as he looks, and is still thinking about a comeback, the mind wanders to possible explanations

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
not anyone
just a very small group that are clearly washed-up but considering a comeback[/
I don't think it's money either but...when a guy looks as done as he looks, and is still thinking about a comeback, the mind wanders to possible explanations

Why? He's only 35. Not every player cares about retiring on top. Some players just want to keep playing for the sake of playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad