Injury Report: Simon Edvinsson shoulder surgery (4-6 month recovery)

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Our luck is Bedard🤣 imagine though? Jesus and non Wings fans would be so pissed off knowing the Wings would have a potential powerhouse in the making.
🤫 You are jinxing my subtle attempt to getting mojo in our favor for Monday. 😜

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Glad it is being dealt with now, but I wonder if that prevents him from locking down a spot in Detroit? I was really looking forward to the youth core on defense.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Glad it is being dealt with now, but I wonder if that prevents him from locking down a spot in Detroit? I was really looking forward to the youth core on defense.
Detroit would have to land multiple players that are drastically better than the Lindstroms of the world for Edvinsson to not have a spot waiting for him as soon as he's ready.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Detroit would have to land multiple players that are drastically better than the Lindstroms of the world for Edvinsson to not have a spot waiting for him as soon as he's ready.
If Johansson or Wallinder make the team during Edvinsson's absence, and then perform well, I'm not sure Edvinsson will have a spot waiting for him. Depends on which other defensemen Detroit acquires this off-season. But with the ever-present possibility of injuries, I doubt Ed would have to wait long.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Johansson or Wallinder make the team during Edvinsson's absence, and then perform well, I'm not sure Edvinsson will have a spot waiting for him. Depends on which other defensemen Detroit acquires this off-season. But with the ever-present possibility of injuries, I doubt Ed would have to wait long.
I suppose that's possible. I guess I'm just less optimistic about the learning curve of a Johansson/Wallinder in the NHL than I am about Edvinsson. I think any other kids Detroit brings up on defense will take awhile to be more than spot duty or third pairing guys (even if they're temporarily higher in the lineup due to the circumstances).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This really f***ing sucks because he still needs to get stronger. Hopefully this fixes things long term.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I suppose that's possible. I guess I'm just less optimistic about the learning curve of a Johansson/Wallinder in the NHL than I am about Edvinsson. I think any other kids Detroit brings up on defense will take awhile to be more than spot duty or third pairing guys (even if they're temporarily higher in the lineup due to the circumstances).
I do think Wallinder probably needs more time, him making the Detroit roster out of camp would surprise me a little. Johansson, on the other hand, I think is pretty NHL-ready; it's just a matter of exactly how good he'll be in Detroit. Seems to be a wide range of opinion on what his ceiling actually is.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I do think Wallinder probably needs more time, him making the Detroit roster out of camp would surprise me a little. Johansson, on the other hand, I think is pretty NHL-ready; it's just a matter of exactly how good he'll be in Detroit. Seems to be a wide range of opinion on what his ceiling actually is.

A more physical Girard or Christian Djoos 2.0!

But I'm with you in believing Johansson is more ready than Willy Wally. On the other hand, I'd love to see what he can do in Grand Rapids without an idiot coach like Ben Simon telling him to dump it every chance he gets.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Certainly Ed isn't going to have a spot waiting for him with so many other LHD in our system. Looks to me like 4-6 months means GR duty for at least a month before being even considered a call up to Detroit. Does the Kasper and Ed injuries remind anyone else of the Tigers prospects with the injuries?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Certainly Ed isn't going to have a spot waiting for him with so many other LHD in our system. Looks to me like 4-6 months means GR duty for at least a month before being even considered a call up to Detroit. Does the Kasper and Ed injuries remind anyone else of the Tigers prospects with the injuries?
7kp2v2.jpg

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Edvinsson is young so I assume 5 months he will be out. That puts him back at the end of September/start of October. Considering it was a precautionary surgery I don’t think it’s as big a deal people are making it out to be. If he starts in the AHL it will be for a conditioning stint, no way he plays there awhile otherwise.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The Red Wings say this is preventative, which as best a reason as there can be. If they can head up a major injury by him having a surgery that means he misses a preseason early in his career, that's an easy trade to make.

Reactions: ricky0034

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wasn't thrilled with the month delay on this, probably could have played him his 9 games and done this earlier to be ready for next year. I don't know the timelines of course and not finding out much when I have asked people that have helped me know in the past. This is one of those scenarios where even though people like the secrecy of Yzerman I am not enamored with them talking 5 times a year.

I will say after the saga with Vrana, I am glad Ed agreed to do the procedure now, again just not sure why we couldn't have done that a month earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad