Simon Despres

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
In regards to Maatta: didn't he have his shoulder problems start when he "hit a wall", too? I'm not sure about the timeline there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
In regards to Maatta: didn't he have his shoulder problems start when he "hit a wall", too? I'm not sure about the timeline there.

I thought he "hit a wall" after the olympics. There had been nothing released regarding an injury until after the playoffs. I don't know how long he was dealing with it, though one would have to think that if he had a serious shoulder injury for 2+ months of regular season, he would have been sat at some point???

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I thought he "hit a wall" after the olympics. There had been nothing released regarding an injury until after the playoffs. I don't know how long he was dealing with it, though one would have to think that if he had a serious shoulder injury for 2+ months of regular season, he would have been sat at some point???

There clearly were fatigue issues with him. But I kinda just thought about that season as "Maatta played injured". No idea why, really - if anyone knows more here...

And, I mean, with Crosby playing with an injured wrist for so long...

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

You would also think that to avoid players hitting a wall, young and old, there would have been some rotation in the roster (Maatta, Adams, Scuderi, Kuntiz, etc)... but there wasn't.

The previous regime had their set ways and pets and dam the torpedoes if they weren't getting every single game possible if they could put on skates (no matter how painful might get for them).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You would also think that to avoid players hitting a wall, young and old, there would have been some rotation in the roster (Maatta, Adams, Scuderi, Kuntiz, etc)... but there wasn't.

The previous regime had their set ways and pets and dam the torpedoes if they weren't getting every single game possible if they could put on skates (no matter how painful might get for them).

That's a great point.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I don't think anybody knows when his injury happened, after the year was over Bobby Mac tweeted Maatta was going to have shoulder surgery, it was the first time we heard he was injured.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Question: Do most in Pittsburgh see Despres as a future top 4 d-man, and if so, who would be a comparable top 4 d-man to Despres?

penguins2946*

Question: Do most in Pittsburgh see Despres as a future top 4 d-man, and if so, who would be a comparable top 4 d-man to Despres?

Yes, and Brayden Coburn as the closest example that I can think of.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I've come to the conclusion Despres stinks and he needs to be dealt to address our problems.
He's got decent size and skating but isn't consistent, offensive, nor instinctive.

He will never be as good as Paul Martin and should be dealt while he has value.

penguins2946*

I've come to the conclusion Despres stinks and he needs to be dealt to address our problems.
He's got decent size and skating but isn't consistent, offensive, nor instinctive.

Good thing you're not the GM, trading Despres is beyond idiotic.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space

I'm not sure if you're being serious here but if f you were not sarcastic @ the few trollish haters then meh... You're not to be taken seriously anyway!

If i'm mistaken... Then... Good1! :sarcasm:

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Good thing you're not the GM, trading Despres is beyond idiotic.

What has he shown you to believe he can be a consistent top four?
I think all fans overrate prospects, especially a mobile defenseman.
He was seen as a replacement to Martin, he has not shown he is anywhere near as good positional.
Just because he can skate doesn't mean he can play well.

penguins2946*

He was seen as a replacement to Martin, he has not shown he is anywhere near as good positional.

And this just further shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Despres has been a top-4 D already this year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

It's because he can skate, hit, block shots and move the puck. You know, pretty much everything a defenseman should do.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's because he can skate, hit, block shots and move the puck. You know, pretty much everything a defenseman should do.

^^ This ends the debate. Period. Jacob is 100% right and if someone chooses to not see it, then they never will.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
^^ This ends the debate. Period. Jacob is 100% right and if someone chooses to not see it, then they never will.

For what he's making, for what he brings, for what the Pens other needs are, Despres is part of the answer for this team.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What type of Point production do you guys see Despres getting if he hits his potential? Could he be a consistent 30-35 point guy? More? Less?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad