Simon Despres

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I like SD. Got to remember that D men take awhile to develop. I originally thought he would be an excellent two way D man. I'm gonna back off with that view of him.

I like his toughness. He does not shy away from contact, though I think hitting is way over rated for a D man. He is mobile. He seems to be in really good condition. Has the body type to log more and more minutes.

His decision making leads a lot to be desire some games and if he learns here, he will be better each season. I think he will keep improving.

If we see and improvement next season with less turnovers and all the above, than it would be smart to sign him long term as fast as possible to keep his contract price down before it raises.

I think his ceiling will be Scuds during the Cup years for us and LA. A really solid D man with a bit more O.

right now:
#1 Letang
#2 Martin
#3 Maatta
#4 Scuds
#5 Erhoff
#6 Despres
#7 Pouliot
#8 Borts

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space

Yes! Bow down to thy Beasty Bashing Boy!!!

The Després GigaOverLord sayeth thou shalt ****ing get on thy trembling knees and pray for thy soul to roam over Adams' Marshes of future past remnants of yer doubts and... Aaaaah **** it, i've got nothing.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yes! Bow down to thy Beasty Bashing Boy!!!

The Després GigaOverLord sayeth thou shalt ****ing get on thy trembling knees and pray for thy soul to roam over Adams' Marshes of future past remnants of yer doubts and... Aaaaah **** it, i've got nothing.

I see you had a bad night.

Don't take another drink and sleep it off.

penguins2946*

Did someone seriously just say that Scuderi is better than Ehrhoff? I want to see if that is serious.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
I think his ceiling will be Scuds during the Cup years for us and LA.

Scuderi and Despres arent even close to being the same type of defensemen. Despres can skate, stick handle, pass, and hit far better than Scuderi could ever do. Not only is he already far better than Scuderi, he is far better than Scuderi even in his prime.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Could you guys picture despres as a more offensive orpik in the future?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I like SD. Got to remember that D men take awhile to develop. I originally thought he would be an excellent two way D man. I'm gonna back off with that view of him.

I like his toughness. He does not shy away from contact, though I think hitting is way over rated for a D man. He is mobile. He seems to be in really good condition. Has the body type to log more and more minutes.

His decision making leads a lot to be desire some games and if he learns here, he will be better each season. I think he will keep improving.

If we see and improvement next season with less turnovers and all the above, than it would be smart to sign him long term as fast as possible to keep his contract price down before it raises.

I think his ceiling will be Scuds during the Cup years for us and LA. A really solid D man with a bit more O.

right now:
#1 Letang
#2 Martin
#3 Maatta
#4 Scuds
#5 Erhoff
#6 Despres
#7 Pouliot
#8 Borts

You're hilarious.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
#47 is the 2nd best D this season after Letang. For the simple reason, he has to play with Scuds. Scuds puts #47 in a bad position at least four times or more every game due to Scud's bad passes or Scuds inability to skate or do anything with the puck. When Despres gets the puck he can't give it back to scuds since scuds doesn't know what to do with it. Yes, Despres makes mistakes as do all D, but not to the extent that scuds does. But MJ loves and considers Scuds a shut down D even though he lacks foot speed to get the puck out of zone and simply does not clear the front of the net. On the PK, MAF is the Pens best PKER not scuds.

Look at Despres #s this year, they are remarkable considering he is paired with Scuds.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
#47 is the 2nd best D this season after Letang. For the simple reason, he has to play with Scuds. Scuds puts #47 in a bad position at least four times or more every game due to Scud's bad passes or Scuds inability to skate or do anything with the puck. When Despres gets the puck he can't give it back to scuds since scuds doesn't know what to do with it. Yes, Despres makes mistakes as do all D, but not to the extent that scuds does. But MJ loves and considers Scuds a shut down D even though he lacks foot speed to get the puck out of zone and simply does not clear the front of the net. On the PK, MAF is the Pens best PKER not scuds.

Look at Despres #s this year, they are remarkable considering he is paired with Scuds.

I love Despres and see him as a future 2nd pairing anchor for our team, but to me it's clear as day that all of Letang, Martin and Ehrhoff are better dmen than Despres is today.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I love Despres and see him as a future 2nd pairing anchor for our team, but to me it's clear as day that all of Letang, Martin and Ehrhoff are better dmen than Despres is today.

You missed my point, playing with scuds is an adventure that the other pens D don't have to endure.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

He does have a point though..... one of the worse games we saw from martin this year was when he was paired with scuds... the absolute worse from Borts was the same. At one point scuds made 4 consecutive passes to his partner (either Martin or Erhoff that game) while there were two guys bearing down on him and he had a clear lane to skate it up. the poor guy kept fighting for the puck and passing it back to the wide open scuds and he kept dumping it around the net right back to him as soon as one of the forecheckers turned his way... ...it was less than stellar...

Despres literally plays handicapped by that... every pass he makes to Scuds is going to be immediately returned to him unless there is a forward closer and wide open. Every team has to know that by now...

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
You guys are cray. Ehrhoff and Martin are definitely better than Despres at this point in his career.

His ceiling is tough to judge because he gets very few offensive opportunities and he usually has Rob "dump down the boards" Scuderi on his other side. I could see him consistently being around Martin's point totals. Peak of 35-40 but mostly high 20s/very low 30s. Made up of mostly 2nd assists by making good passes through the neutral zone and good shots on net. He has a deceiving wrist shot which seems to cause a LOT of loose pucks in the crease, but he's never going to score many goals.

I see him as a #2 or #3 depending on opportunities and whether his defensive game becomes a bit more compact. He could potentially peak as a Martin/Orpik hybrid. I see the future as being:

Maatta - Letang
Despres - Veteran
Pouliot - Harrington/Dumoulin

With Despres getting the physically tougher top 6 line assignment. He'd do well to master the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad