Proposal: Simon Despres for Tobias Rieder

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Given just how bad Depres looked out there the last few games, I start to question his chances of ever reaching the level he was at before the concussion again. Rieder looks like a gem and could help solidy us down the middle for the time when Getzlaf and Kesler will inevitably wind down. However, I'd try to squeeze a bit more out of Phoenix in this deal.

Maybe something like this?

Rieder + 3rd
for
Depres + 7th

Rieder should be had for about 2.0-2.5M AAV for the next three years, so we would also unload some salary we could use to re-sign Hampus and Vats. As of now, I feel like Depres would only be a #5/#6 defenseman, and I would much rather have Rieder and a re-signed Holzer as our solid journeyman for the price tag Depres has.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Expansion draft also plays part. With F`s PHX has they probably wouldn`t protect Rieder but would we?

It is likely we wouldn`t be able to protect Despres.

Although it`s hard to say as no one knows the rules of them yet, but that will play a part in the upcoming deals across the NHL.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't think Arizona does that trade straight up. Rieder can skate, has nice hands and can kill penalties.

Dave Tippett:

“I don’t like to compare players, but when I watch Rieder, I see him doing a lot of the same things Jere Lehtinen did in Dallas. And you know what I thought of Lehtinen”.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Rather have Despres, don't rate Rieder that much and can't really put much stock in Despres struggles since coming back given how tough it is to come back from a serious concussion mid-season. Rather keep Despres and see if he can reach his top level again with an injury free season (hopfully) then give up on him for a 3rd liner.

Rieder should be had for about 2.0-2.5M AAV for the next three years, so we would also unload some salary we could use to re-sign Hampus and Vats. As of now, I feel like Depres would only be a #5/#6 defenseman, and I would much rather have Rieder and a re-signed Holzer as our solid journeyman for the price tag Depres has.
You want Despres gone because you think he's only a 3rd pairing guy but want to sign a #7 like Holzer to the contract Despres got?

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
You want Despres gone because you think he's only a 3rd pairing guy but want to sign a #7 like Holzer to the contract Despres got?

I think he means having both Rieder and Holzer for the $$$ of Despres so not the same contract.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Despres is still young and has played at a top 4 level at times for this team. He's also 6'4, which is important with how many small puck movers we have coming up. He's got shutdown #3 defenseman potential, and just needs to be consistent and healthy to reach that. I wouldn't give that kind of upside away for Reider (who I don't think is much more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener).

Despres has had a lot of bad luck this year with injuries but even still he's not a liability out there. Give him a full healthy season before we think about getting rid of him

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I think he means having both Rieder and Holzer for the $$$ of Despres so not the same contract.
Makes sense, but if we're getting rid of Despres (not that I'm on board with that) I'd rather dedicate all of that money to keeping Vatanen instead of giving most of it to a 3rd line forward and a #7 guy.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Makes sense, but if we're getting rid of Despres (not that I'm on board with that) I'd rather dedicate all of that money to keeping Vatanen instead of giving most of it to a 3rd line forward and a #7 guy.

Yeah. Between Vatanen and Despres I would rather keep Vatanen (although lack of size on D could become a problem), but that is a discussion for another thread.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
That doesn't make him a top 6 player. People complain about having too many Coglianos already. But they want another 15 goal 35 point guy?

He would be for the Ducks. He might not be overall but he is still better then most forwards we have.

With Despres injury problems I worry about the future with him. Don't see us getting a lot more if he was traded.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Is "he's not so terrible" how we're navigating our Cup window? That's cool with you?

If Perron wants to be UFA then we can trade Vatanen for a top 6 forward. If we do that I am sure their will be a lot of complaining in the Ducks board. If we don't trade Vatanen then trading Despres for Rieder is a solid option. I am really concerned with Despres and his injury problems. If Perron walk to free agency and we are not going to trade Vatanen we won't be adding a top 6 forward then (Fowler stays and don't see us getting a top 6 forward from free agency)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad