Simmons vs Edler vs the Code

We’re you okay with the fight?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not sure why a guy has to fight, when he’s never had one in 15 years in the league.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
A lot of outrage that Simmons beat the wheels off of Edler who is not a notable fighter due to the knee on knee with Hyman in a previous game.

do you think it was necessary? Needed? Okay?

personally I respect Edler for answering the bell

Edit: Wayne SIMMONDS

The outrage is coming from a small sect and Simmonds is not the same player he once was--those people crying are thinking of the Simmonds of 5 years ago and not now

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
No problem with how things played out. I'd have a problem if Edler had injured somebody with a clean hit and had to "face the music" for it.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Edler felt bad for the play (see his comments on subject) and if he didn't answer for it the issue could have resolved itself in other ways, such as other teammates paying for it.

That being said, not every incident should require 'payback'. I was at the game where Bertuzzi sucker punched Moore, and there are some take-aways. First, Hyman isn't prime Naslund. Second, if the offending player doesn't answer the bell, things can get worse (not defending this). Third, the media and fans should think about their role in encouraging this type of vigilantism.

So good for Edler for manning up but I don't think it was really necessary in this instance and the fight probably had more to do with Simmonds trying to prove his worth on a deep Leafs team than standing up for Hyman.

Also to those idiots suggesting Edler is dirty; he's had a few bone-head moments, and Hyman was certainly one (Staal another), but over 900+ games who hasn't. I can tell you both Thornton and Simmonds are much dirtier players than Edler. People can barely keep their **** together driving every day. I'd like to see anyone keep it cool 100 percent of the time on the ice over 16 seasons without ever doing something stupid.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Edler felt bad for the play (see his comments on subject) and if he didn't answer for it the issue could have resolved itself in other ways, such as other teammates paying for it.

That being said, not every incident should require 'payback'. I was at the game where Bertuzzi sucker punched Moore, and there are some take-aways. First, Hyman isn't prime Naslund. Second, if the offending player doesn't answer the bell, things can get worse (not defending this). Third, the media and fans should think about their role in encouraging this type of vigilantism.

So good for Edler for manning up but I don't think it was really necessary in this instance and the fight probably had more to do with Simmonds trying to prove his worth on a deep Leafs team than standing up for Hyman.

Also to those idiots suggesting Edler is dirty; he's had a few bone-head moments, and Hyman was certainly one (Staal another), but over 900+ games who hasn't. I can tell you both Thornton and Simmonds are much dirtier players than Edler. People can barely keep their **** together driving every day. I'd like to see anyone keep it cool 100 percent of the time on the ice over 16 seasons without ever doing something stupid.
He seems to see up his dirty moments for the Leafs. And it looks like Simmonds had enough. Asked him, didn't jump him, and Bob's your uncle.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That was exactly how things should be handled. I’ve got a lot of respect for Edler for stepping up and answering the bell, and a lot of respect for Simmonds letting up at the end there when Edler was clearly not wanting to continue

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

First, who gives a shit what level of player Hyman is? It sucks more because he's a key piece and a damn good player for the Leafs, but even if he wasn't that knee was bullshit. Second point I agree with. Third, yeah maybe.

It was more about sending a message to the league and the Leafs team that they won't be pushed around or have liberties taken on them without a response.

Edler literally tried to take Spezza's hands with a slash in Spezza's hattrick game but ok. "Oh but there's no video of it" you'll say, but it's been referenced by Steve Dangle not only since the Hyman incident but in his LFR the day after. And it was mentioned in the Leafs GDT here at the moment. So either it was a hallucinated incident, or Edler is a dick when it comes to the Leafs and has been all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad