Simmons vs Edler vs the Code

We’re you okay with the fight?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
A lot of outrage that Simmons beat the wheels off of Edler who is not a notable fighter due to the knee on knee with Hyman in a previous game.

do you think it was necessary? Needed? Okay?

personally I respect Edler for answering the bell

Edit: Wayne SIMMONDS

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Not trying to nitpick but your poll isn't really asking the same thing you layed out in the OP.

I imagine nearly everyone was 'okay' with the fight, but that didn't make it 'necessary' or that Edler had to answer the bell.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
A lot of outrage that Simmons beat the wheels off of Edler who is not a notable fighter due to the knee on knee with Hyman in a previous game.

do you think it was necessary? Needed? Okay?

personally I respect Edler for answering the bell

You know what Edler is noted for: 2 other knee on knee incidents, resulting in suspensions.
Sounds like one of the few guys, who can, beat a dirty POS.

I think Edler is a fine player, but you can't ignore these incidences.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
The fight was good, people complaining about it are ridiculous. If Simmonds instigated it or forced him to fight then maybe it's a problem, but Edler answered the bell.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Edler dropped the gloves. He could’ve declined. Annoyed an 80 fight guy who can handle the toughest in the league goes after a 0 fight guy though but again Edler answered the bell, Kronwall scrambled brains for a decade plus and never had to answer for it.

That he felt he needed to is the stupid part of a stupid code that does nothing for respect or safety in the game.

You wouldn’t expect any of the zero fight leafs to fight a guy like Simmonds either.

I love Edler but I think he screwed up. He has zero experience and thought it was just a token thing. Had no clue how to take his gloves off. Grab on. Throw a punch. Defend. Take down.

Here’s a hint for non fighters. Just throw crazy haymakers so you fall down and the refs break it up. Don’t expect 80 fight guys to take it easy on you.

Also it should have been an instigator on Simmonds. Hamonic got one from the same refs two games ago.

The leafs fans calling edler dirty haven’t a clue about the player.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Edler dropped the gloves. He could’ve declined. Annoyed an 80 fight guy who can handle the toughest in the league goes after a 0 fight guy though but again Edler answered the bell, Kronwall scrambled brains for a decade plus and never had to answer for it.

That he felt he needed to is the stupid part of a stupid code that does nothing for respect or safety in the game.

You wouldn’t expect any of the zero fight leafs to fight a guy like Simmonds either.

I love Edler but I think he screwed up. He has zero experience and thought it was just a token thing. Had no clue how to take his gloves off. Grab on. Throw a punch. Defend. Take down.

Here’s a hint for non fighters. Just throw crazy haymakers so you fall down and the refs break it up. Don’t expect 80 fight guys to take it easy on you.

Also it should have been an instigator on Simmonds. Hamonic got one from the same refs two games ago.

And kneeing and injuring players is good for the safety of the game? Give me a break.

A 2 game suspension to a 35 year old player whose team is all but eliminated from the playoffs is nothing and its not going to deter him from doing it again. Taking a few punches to the face will. He clearly was out of his league in the fight and didn't enjoy it. He'll be more careful when sticking his knee out in the future as I'm sure he doesn't want to fight Simmonds again.

With that being said, good on Edler for answering the bell. He didn't screw up by fighting Simmonds - he screwed up by kneeing Hyman and he knew it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That’s how the Code works my friend.

Leafs were the aggrieved party and get to pick who within a reasonably similar weight class gets fight Edler for the knee injury Hyman.

It was a dirty hit, Edler knew it. He answered the bell like a man. It’s over and resolved now.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He took out a guys knee and paid the price, the score is settled that's all there is to it. You can't make the kind of play he did and expect nothing.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't care if this makes Edler think twice in the future, the fight was for locker room morale going into the playoffs.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

Very much so, he should've waited until someone who also doesn't fight tried to fight him (though he would've gotten more whacks and slashes until that happened). Also agreed, if we're about truly league parity Simmonds' butt should've been stapled to the dressing room with an instigator penalty, but knowing it's the "center of the hockey universe" of course nothing else would happen to Simmonds.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Call me old school but Eddie had to answer the bell. As reactionary as it was, the knee was still dirty and Edler had to know somebody was going to challenge him.

That said, I do sort of feel embarrassed for Edler. I know he's not a tough guy but that was a pretty ugly showing for a guy who had the size advantage on his opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad