Silver lining or squandered opportunity?

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Bergeron is going through an incredibly poorly timed cold streak. Right now we need him to playing close to his best to tread water without Chara and Krejci and he's playing around 60%, maybe 50. I don't think people know how big an effect this is having. It's limiting his linemates scoring, particularly Marchand and now Pastrnak. Soda has been alright, but I think he's struggling against tougher competition and Loui and Looch are doing nothing to help. Obviously Kelly's not going to generate any offense and why even mention the fourth line.

People underestimate Chara's effect on the offense though. First of all, I know we say Krug made the PP so much better, but Chara screening did a lot too. Didn't he lead the team in PP goals last year? Plus I know someone said the D has been good, and they've been decent, but I'm not impressed with the zone clearing skills. I think Chara will help a lot with that.

Agreed about Bergeron, and Soderberg facing tougher competition. Both good points.

The forwards may also be consciously or unconsciously adopting even more of a defense-first posture than usual (if that's even possible) in order to help out the young D, and in the case of Seidenberg the not-playing-well D. Coupled with Krejci's absence, this is a recipe for limited offensive output. That said, it's probably the best way to try to tread water until the walking wounded get back, and guys like Seidenberg and Bergeron get their **** together.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I am sorry but i am not buying that because DK is out that this teams performance goes completely MIA.
There is enough solid good offensive players to make up the missing Krecji point production and performance.

The way I see it is that the forwards are all playing having in mind that they are more responsible at both ends of the ice due to all the injuries on "D" making their overall play less effective offensively.

Let's not forget that we are also missing that important top 6 forward that we all know this team needs badly and perhaps some other adjustments that would be nice to have to make this team a little more tougher to play against and get some of that nasty, snarl, tough identity back to help this team to what it once was just some time ago.

Therefore, a combination of all this above is what I believe has this team playing the way they are and their lack of offensive production.

Banshee

Apr 23, 2014
Concord, NH
The PP has looked great lately... if you overlook that they're not scoring. The "kids" on D have looked good, Smith and Eriksson have looked good, Pastrnak has looked good, the ESL line has looked good.....if you overlook that none of them are scoring. Hockey is a funny game, sometimes you get in these ruts where you can't buy a goal or you play a string of games against top competition and great goalies, and you can start doubting yourself. Hard to know what it is, but I'd be more worried if they weren't generating scoring chances at all.

I will say that for weeks now, I've wondered if Bergy isn't injured or dealing with some off-ice issue, he has looked really out of sorts for his standards. I hope it's just a funk.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
That's usually when you lose your #1 C and most creative player.

Bergy-Yeti-Kelly is a big downgrade from Krejci-Bergy-Yeti.

When Chara will come back, it will help the team very much. Krejci return will help much more.

That depleted super injured lineup is actually in a playoffs spot. Add the best shutdown Dmen in the league and a #1C and things will improve.

The silver lining on D showed that we have plenty of good options in the system. Not so much at F. One of these 2nd rounders we got from an injured Boychuk has to be packaged to get a Forward that will help the top-9 for that playoffs push/run. Keep the other to draft, move up or get someone in the off-season when prices are lower.

It's nice to see a few people who are not panicking. This team will be fine. I agree that we need a solution at forward, but with Krecji and Chara back, and our depth on D, we should be in good position going into the playoffs.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So the D sucked when Chara was in the lineup?

I thought both Dougie and Seids really struggled when Chara was in the lineup, along with McQuaid being completely miscast in his new role. Chara wasn't great either, but it was mainly those three. The third pair looked OK during that time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The offense comes and goes with David Krejci. The team is a different animal when he's on the ice.

this and his presence allows those to shift back into the position within the lineup which they can be successful i.e. Kelly not playing with Looch

Same with the D, although they have played remarkably well under the conditions, when Z returns, it will give Julien the opportunity to insulate their minutes from time to time

100% healthy, still some changes are required (that 4th line is all but useless right now), and while it`s disappointing waking up and reading about losses on this Western swing, I can understand why they are struggling so much

Not making excuses for the team but such a patch work lineup this season

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
this and his presence allows those to shift back into the position within the lineup which they can be successful i.e. Kelly not playing with Looch

Same with the D, although they have played remarkably well under the conditions, when Z returns, it will give Julien the opportunity to insulate their minutes from time to time

100% healthy, still some changes are required (that 4th line is all but useless right now), and while it`s disappointing waking up and reading about losses on this Western swing, I can understand why they are struggling so much

Not making excuses for the team but such a patch work lineup this season

Even if everyone gets healthy and comes back to contribute at their normal levels, they're still missing a first line RW at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad