• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Iginla feels like he has a safer floor, and is a good fit, so I can see the reasoning, I just feel Catton has the higher upside. I love Dach, but his health issues are a bit concerning, and having another C in the pipeline could be advantageous.

These are just thoughts that management has to gauge.

I'm not saying Iginla doesn't have his own upside, just that Catton's is probably higher. I personally would have no issue with either choice, as long as they get it right. ;)
If we already had an amazing roster, maybe I'd roll the dice on Catton . . . but we don't. Iginla's floor is higher, as you say, and it seems like his ceiling is high enough.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
If we already had an amazing roster, maybe I'd roll the dice on Catton . . . but we don't. Iginla's floor is higher, as you say, and it seems like his ceiling is high enough.

He's solid, (Iginla) there's no arguing the choice. It's a safe/sound pick. With picks this high you have to make sure you don't miss, I get it.

I'm just asking myself if they both hit, which would be better?

In this scenario I prefer Catton.

Last edited:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
He's solid, there's no arguing the choice. It's a safe/sound pick. With picks this high you have to make sure you don't miss, I get it. Just asking myself if they both hit, which would be better?
Iginla. He will likely be more useful in the playoffs than Catton.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Iginla. He will likely be more useful in the playoffs than Catton.

You don't know that. I understand why you might think that, but....

I'm just praying to the God's Demidov somehow falls in our laps. Some might argue Iginla would be better suited in the postseason over him as well.. I don't care, sometimes talent just outweighs intangibles. Especially when properly insulated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rozz

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

I'm just praying to the God's Demidov somehow falls in our laps. Some might argue Iginla might be better suited in the postseason over him as well.. I don't care, sometimes talent just outweighs intangibles. Especially when properly insulated.
I can't see Demidov getting past CBJ, at the latest. We need a team in the top 4 to pick a d-man other Levshunov, who will definitely go top 4.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Nuclear aside, to be honest., I'm still not sure Catton isn't the right pick if Demidov and Lindstrom are off the boards.

The kid oozes talent. Iginla just feels safer.
I've watched both play, Iggy just passes my eye test, Catton doesn't. Just like the way he battles in the slot. Catton isn't a slouch, probably the better passer, but I think after this season Iginla's goal scoring will shine through being such a young guy in the W still. As a GM, I'm taking Iginla because nobody is getting mad at you for not passing on his bloodline, its the safer job keeping pick lol

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We will get one of Demidov or Lindstrom.

Pronman brought up some great points in their podcast today. He said that how he knows NHL teams operate is that centers and defenseman will usually win any coin flip against a winger and that when you are picking high in the draft and essentially your jobs can be on the line, there's things that you hold on to.

So Demidov being smaller, no best on best, MHL again this year, Russian passport, no live viewings and a winger may make it really hard to win a tie breaker. With Lindstrom the medical and reservations on that, you have to be 100% on those medical if you're gonna make that pick.

So when you're staring at Silayev Levshunov and Dickinson you might have a hard time going that direction .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Pronman brought up some great points in their podcast today. He said that how he knows NHL teams operate is that centers and defenseman will usually win any coin flip against a winger and that when you are picking high in the draft and essentially your jobs can be on the line, there's things that you hold on to.

So Demidov being smaller, no best on best, MHL again this year, Russian passport, no live viewings and a winger may make it really hard to win a tie breaker. With Lindstrom the medical and reservations on that, you have to be 100% on those medical if you're gonna make that pick.

So when you're staring at Silayev Levshunov and Dickinson you might have a hard time going that direction .

Could be. And since Hughes is after a forward, and we already have Suzuki and Dach as top 6 centers, he could be the most likely to take the winger over the center.

But I've heard Lindstrom is a center who may also be a center at the NHL level.

and which podcast is it?

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020

I'm just praying to the God's Demidov somehow falls in our laps. Some might argue Iginla would be better suited in the postseason over him as well.. I don't care, sometimes talent just outweighs intangibles. Especially when properly insulated.
If he falls Habs will pick Beckett Sennecke. After blowing their chance with Michkov, I assume they're scared of drafting Demidov too. Which sucks, because I'd add Winnipeg's 1st for the chance to get him.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They better. I want them to be horny and really push Chicago to a trade. Show 'em ye ole throbbing splendor.

We might even be able to get him at 5 if Chicago goes Levshunov. It will require some luck but maybe those lack of live viewings, only being in the MHL and no best on best footage is enough to tempt the teams ahead of us to lean defense.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
We might even be able to get him at 5 if Chicago goes Levshunov. It will require some luck but maybe those lack of live viewings, only being in the MHL and no best on best footage is enough to tempt the teams ahead of us to lean defense.
There's a point, especially when you add Russian factor in times like these. But he does look so tantalizing with the puck that I truly hope they don't leave nothing to luck.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's a point, especially when you add Russian factor in times like these. But he does look so tantalizing with the puck that I truly hope they don't leave nothing to luck.

Not so much leaving it to luck, they tried last year to move up, most teams don't wanna slip back that high up to the point we haven't seen it since 2008

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If he falls Habs will pick Beckett Sennecke. After blowing their chance with Michkov, I assume they're scared of drafting Demidov too. Which sucks, because I'd add Winnipeg's 1st for the chance to get him.

Arpon Basu has already stated Habs hold Demigod is very high regard - better work ethic, and understanding of the game vs Michkov

Reactions: Habssince89

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

Arpon Basu has already stated Habs hold Demigod is very high regard - better work ethic, and understanding of the game vs Michkov

i know this is spreading like wildfire but watching the Briere clip, when he says he doesn't know if Michkov will ever come over, my impression is that he's kinda joking

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
But he clearly states there’s been no contact with Michkov since last draft
for sure - i think that's pretty standard for KHL-based prospects. just the reality of the situation of playing in a league that once saw itself as a direct competitor to the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad