• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If 4 forwards are first picks our pick will be worth a lot. Levshunov a stud right shot Defenseman. Even if we don't take him many teams will overpay for him
I agree. Hughes' phone is already ringing. Let's see what price he can extract to drop down 4 or 5 positions. There's a lot of depth/talent available in all ranges of the first round and at the top of the second round.

If Hughes gets it right, he may well acquire several potential core players and give our re-build a kick start.

Reactions: malcb33

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn't trade that pick.

If all forwards are gone just pick the best dman. Defense wins championship.

We have a lot of strong D prospects but none of them are proven #1D.

Pick the best dman then showcase and trade a bluechip D prospect we already have f or offensive depth. As it is with Slafkovsky blowing up and Caufield returning to form I think we'll be alright once Dach returns.

Of course the mistake in my opinion was not picking Michkov last year, but as it is we're still in great shape, only forced to become a defensive team.

Reactions: OneSharpMarble

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If all forwards are gone just pick the best dman. Defense wins championship.
Forwards: Demidov, Lindstrom, Sennecke, Eiserman, Catton, Iginla, Helenius have all been discussed as potential 5th overall picks, so there's no situation where all the forwards are gone.

A year ago, people said that 2024 would be a weak draft for forwards. I'm proud to have immediately recognized that as BS ;-)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Forwards: Demidov, Lindstrom, Sennecke, Eiserman, Catton, Iginla, Helenius have all been discussed as potential 5th overall picks, so there's no situation where all the forwards are gone.

A year ago, people said that 2024 would be a weak draft for forwards. I'm proud to have immediately recognized that as BS ;-)

Fair enough but I know that at least Dickinson is a great pick at D, and there are others from what I'm told. I'm just saying let's not completely ignore dmen here.

Reinbacher is still a question mark, as are all our dmen prospects.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I think Iggy is just barely old enough to be in this draft, that gives the edge to him.. plus that bloodline.. I would not take Catton over him

Fair enough but I know that at least Dickinson is a great pick at D, and there are others from what I'm told. I'm just saying let's not completely ignore dmen here.

Whomever we draft will also be a question mark until they are not.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It seems like there are a lot of great players, this should be a home run.

Reactions: Habs

Mayday1980

Mar 28, 2021
My only worry is that we have the same scenario as last year. Smith (Lindstrom) goes at 4 and we pick the late riser in the draft Reinbacher (Ignila). I get a little worried when you're picking late-rising players that fill an organizational need but might not be the BPA from a talent/upside standpoint. We have so much draft capital I would prefer we just throw extra picks in a trade to move up 1,2 or 3 spots to get one of Demidov, Levshunov or Lindstrom.

One can hope that 2 dmen get picked in the top 4 before us but I would put the odds at 33% that Demidov or Lindstrom is there at 5. The giant Russian dman is the X-factor IMO as he could go anywhere from 2-10 depending on how much one team likes him

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
My only worry is that we have the same scenario as last year. Smith (Lindstrom) goes at 4 and we pick the late riser in the draft Reinbacher (Ignila). I get a little worried when you're picking late-rising players that fill an organizational need but might not be the BPA from a talent/upside standpoint. We have so much draft capital I would prefer we just throw extra picks in a trade to move up 1,2 or 3 spots to get one of Demidov, Levshunov or Lindstrom.

One can hope that 2 dmen get picked in the top 4 before us but I would put the odds at 33% that Demidov or Lindstrom is there at 5. The giant Russian dman is the X-factor IMO as he could go anywhere from 2-10 depending on how much one team likes him
A late riser like Iginla, among the youngest in the draft, isn't as bad as an older player being a late riser. It makes sense for a younger kid getting better as the season ends against older competition.

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021

If Mackenzie's list is somewhat accurate Demidov, Levshunov, Silayev and Lindstrom would be the ''concensus'' top 5 but it seem wide open after that, there's a lot to like about Iginla besides the name and being a center. I'd much rather have him than Parekh, for example.

It would be a miracle if Hughes can manage to trade up for 2/3 OA but if any year would make sense for these teams to trade down it's definely one of them.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

So many teams passed on tkachuk and he fell to Calgary because they thought he was lacking elements and was also a late riser. I hated the Reinbacher pick , still do , Iginla wouldn’t be a sus pick like he was.

Reactions: Habs13 and Runner77

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
Just what we need, another slight, passive offensive defenceman who will be easily overpowered playing against NHL level players. The thought of Parekh playing against the Panthers or Bruins makes me cringe.
I think Parekh will surprise some of you once he hits the NHL. But honestly I'm a fan of most of the D in our range. Buium, Levshunov etc.
With respect, I believe you missed the strategy based on what the OP @Kaladin proposed. Trade Reinbacher for a top-6 forward in the age group of our core, and draft Levshunov (he suggested Parekh instead) to replace Reinbacher. Levshunov probably has the same window for hitting the NHL (2025-26) but I think his well-rounded game is more similar to Reinbacher than Parekh's offence-primary game.

Therefore, rather than slow things down, this actually accelerates things versus drafting an 18 year old forward who could be 3-4 years away from playing in our top 6 and graduating Reinbacher in 2025-26.
This explains my thought process exactly. It actually fits with Hughes style of accelerating the rebuild so I don't think it's an outlandish possibility. Replace Reinbacher with one of our other D if you want but I think he's the only one (outside of Guhle who I'd prefer to keep) that might command the kind of value we'd need to offer.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I agree. Hughes' phone is already ringing. Let's see what price he can extract to drop down 4 or 5 positions. There's a lot of depth/talent available in all ranges of the first round and at the top of the second round.

If Hughes gets it right, he may well acquire several potential core players and give our re-build a kick start.
A lot of teams had Levshunov at 2. If he's there at 5, Habs could get way more than what 5 is worth.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
So many teams passed on tkachuk and he fell to Calgary because they thought he was lacking elements and was also a late riser. I hated the Reinbacher pick , still do , Iginla wouldn’t be a sus pick like he was.
Iginla hype being very similar to Matthew Tkachuk pre draft talk is actually accurate. For the most part he was good at everything but not exceptional and he was considered a very boring player compared to the Fins. He was still considered a very good prospect but a lot of people though he was going to develop as a decent complementary top 6 winger and nothing more and boy, that is so wrong with hindsight. I think Iginla could very well become the best player in the draft when it's all said and done just like Tkachuk.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I don't like the idea of trading down.
You see a Tkachuk, or a Keller, you take them. Don't trade down 3 or 4 spots and end up with Alex Nylander/ Tyson Jost just so you can add another 2nd rd pick.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This pick will net us someone good to great, and it will help move the needle for the Habs, but hindsight will find whether we are building towards a consistent playoff team or a consistent contender. The age window for montreal is excellent, and if the 5OA pick becomes a more or less equal to our top line then we are looking at a very strong future.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Iginla hype being very similar to Matthew Tkachuk pre draft talk is actually accurate. For the most part he was good at everything but not exceptional and he was considered a very boring player compared to the Fins. He was still considered a very good prospect but a lot of people though he was going to develop as a decent complementary top 6 winger and nothing more and boy, that is so wrong with hindsight. I think Iginla could very well become the best player in the draft when it's all said and done just like Tkachuk.
Yeah I'm not worried about the son of Jarome Iginla lacking in athleticism or insight into the pro game. If anything, as long as he has a good head on his shoulders (unlike eg. Briere's kids), he should be a solid pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You see a Tkachuk, or a Keller, you take them. Don't trade down 3 or 4 spots and end up with Alex Nylander/ Tyson Jost just so you can add another 2nd rd pick.

Agreed. The goal here is to take the guy we feel will have the better D+1 and D+2 in development. Lots of these kids show their real potential in the 18-20 age range (after the draft).

Not all of them will turn out for what we see today. I've played this drafting game (as most of you have as well) for too long to ignore the potential busts type picks. Take the guy you like a lot. This whole trade down talk is very risky.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I think the only teams who should even consider trading down are those who are stacked, presently competitive, and overloaded in a particular position. So they trade down and pick up a competitive piece in the process, or a handful of draft picks to replenish their cupboard.

Otherwise, there is a reason why trading down is rather rare: you want the BPA in the Cap Era especially.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Bold statement but it's on my mind too. His resume is impressive

* One of the hottest trending and one of the youngest. When you hit on your picks, you usually see the gains in their D+1 and D+2. I think Iggy will have great improvements post draft.

* Solid height and weight for being one of the youngest. Likely tops out at 6'-1" and 200 lbs where most others will take years to get to 180-190 range.

* Edge work and cross overs are very good. He's already showing ability to generate speed when he needs it and also using edges to escape pressure/traffic along the walls. This is something where a lot of prospects never figure out.

* That shot man. Iggy and Eiserman have the best shots in this draft. They can just wire it and it's not something I would overlook.

WHAT ARE IGGY'S FLAWS?

Reactions: mdk

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Bold statement but it's on my mind too. His resume is impressive

* One of the hottest trending and one of the youngest. When you hit on your picks, you usually see the gains in their D+1 and D+2. I think Iggy will have great improvements post draft.

* Solid height and weight for being one of the youngest. Likely tops out at 6'-1" and 200 lbs where most others will take years to get to 180-190 range.

* Edge work and cross overs are very good. He's already showing ability to generate speed when he needs it and also using edges to escape pressure/traffic along the walls. This is something where a lot of prospects never figure out.

* That shot man. Iggy and Eiserman have the best shots in this draft. They can just wire it and it's not something I would overlook.

WHAT ARE IGGY'S FLAWS?

Straight-line speed could be better, he could be in a bigger body, he could play a premium position, or play a more premium style.

Cayden has top 5 written all over him, from his physique, to his skill set and position. Doesn't mean he'll be the best player, but he has the profile of a guy you want to spend a top 5 pick on.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

You're only trading down if you have guys in your next tier that you are comfortable moving down for.

If the worst case plays out and Demidov is gone at 2 and Lindstrom is gone at 4, then you do your calculus.

The team who wants to move up would likely be targeting Silayev, you'd ask who they were looking to take before you made the trigger, it's pretty common practice. So then you see who is making that offer, and if you can deduce, well if Silayev goes at 5, Utah goes Parekh, and Ottawa is gonna go Dickinson, then you can slide back to 8 for example, still get who you were going to take at 5 and get paid to do so.

But you have to be sure about your calculus, which is why they never entertained trading down last year because they knew the targeted player was Reinbacher and if they moved down beyond Arizona, he'd be gone by them too. They couldn't move back and get who they wanted.

Reactions: McGees and Tyson

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You're only trading down if you have guys in your next tier that you are comfortable moving down for.

If the worst case plays out and Demidov is gone at 2 and Lindstrom is gone at 4, then you do your calculus.

The team who wants to move up would likely be targeting Silayev, you'd ask who they were looking to take before you made the trigger, it's pretty common practice. So then you see who is making that offer, and if you can deduce, well if Silayev goes at 5, Utah goes Parekh, and Ottawa is gonna go Dickinson, then you can slide back to 8 for example, still get who you were going to take at 5 and get paid to do so.

But you have to be sure about your calculus, which is why they never entertained trading down last year because they knew the targeted player was Reinbacher and if they moved down beyond Arizona, he'd be gone by them too. They couldn't move back and get who they wanted.
Plus what’s the ultimate goal? The Habs have so many picks next year. Do they want even more to make a big trade? Is it worth it? I’m of the opinion that this is no draft to try and play cute. Just take your man at 5 and call it a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad