• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Some here are still complaining over the Mesar pick.
I remember I wanted to slam dunk Hutson at 26. If they’d done that we wouldn’t have Mesar and no one would complain if we draft some bust at 62. Ok I am sure some would complain actually.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
on the one hand, I'm a bit annoyed by the pick.

On the other hand, let's be realistic, scouts can't hit on every pick. The most important thing that draft was to get 1st overall right in a non consensus year, and Slaf is looking much better than Wright so far. Then the scouting team goes out and get Lane Freakin Hutson. Plus there's Engstrom and Beck. It could be an all time great draft. People have to accept there will be flops, even in the 1st round. And we're not even sure what Mesar will be yet.
I'm not concerned about who we draft but rather who we don't if Hughes once again uses that pick and other material assets to acquire a player who will supposedly speed up the re-build.

A quick assessment of our roster would confirm that we probably have one of weakest collection of 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players in the NHL. And where is the wave of young forwards who will remedy this deficit? Beck? Florian Xhekaj? Maybe. And who else? This is not the draft to be watering down our potential pool of forward prospects. This is a deep draft where if we choose wisely we can secure a player in the lower third of the first round who will immediately become our best forward prospect.

I just don't want Hughes trying to be the smartest guy in the room at the draft.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not concerned about who we draft but rather who we don't if Hughes once again uses that pick and other material assets to acquire a player who will supposedly speed up the re-build.

A quick assessment of our roster would confirm that we probably have one of weakest collection of 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players in the NHL. And where is the wave of young forwards who will remedy this deficit? Beck? Florian Xhekaj? Maybe. And who else? This is not the draft to be watering down our potential pool of forward prospects. This is a deep draft where if we choose wisely we can secure a player in the lower third of the first round who will immediately become our best forward prospect.

I just don't want Hughes trying to be the smartest guy in the room at the draft.

Ideally they have a target and they trade up to make sure they get him.

Reactions: malcb33

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Hughes will be judged as much for what he does with the Winnipeg pick as what he does with the 5 OA pick.
Agreed. Unless they think they can get a hidden gem later in the first round, my preference is for him to be aggressive with it. Package it with assets and either move up or trade for a younger high-potential forward.

Either way, I want some serious additions to our forward group from this draft. I'm also fine with high boom, bust guys, just as long as the potential ceiling is high enough to warrant the risk.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Agreed. Unless they think they can get a hidden gem later in the first round, my preference is for him to be aggressive with it. Package it with assets and either move up or trade for a younger high-potential forward.

Either way, I want some serious additions to our forward group from this draft. I'm also fine with high boom, bust guys, just as long as the potential ceiling is high enough to warrant the risk.
If they take a forward at 5 and can't find a good trade partner for the Jet pick then they definitely should go for the forward with the highest potential at that pick even if there are a few warts (other than several injuries already).

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Zegras today at age 23 (6'-0" and 185 lbs) is what you hope Catton can be at age 23.

Players like Eiserman or Iggy will be closer to 200 lbs as 6'-0" players by the time they are 23.

There is your difference.
6 0 185 is actually classic size for a scoring winger.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Probably already posted, but Beaudoin from BPM sports says Habs won't take Catton because of his size, but would take Demidov talent level at that size.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Writing off Catton because of "size" is very disappointing. The kid is going to be a stud in the league
It's not just "size" because, in the same breath it is said the Habs are fine with Demidov which is of similar size/weight as Catton.

Reactions: Deebs

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
We should forgo drafting Celebrini should we win the lottery, he had a shoulder surgery last season . You don't want to draft the next Josh Norris :sarcasm:.
You have be wary of players that have multiple injuries or injuries on nothing plays when drafting.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Catton is 175 now. Weight will be put on by these players over time. Iginla is not this big power forward. He's getting a reputation from his dad that he doesn't actually have.

What I'm saying is that Iginla doesn't throw big hits. He isn't mean. He isn't nasty. He's a skilled shooter, he's not soft and he goes to the net, but that's the extent of it.

Demidov does the same thing. If you want big physical players then yeah Lindstrom is that guy, not Iginla.
Actually prefer Sennecke's physicality over Iginla's. He's shown to play with an edge and is generally more of an aggressor than Iginla is, great in the corners.
I can see it be an asset for him once he grows out of the bambi legs.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Can't help that KH will pick someone that will cause both jubilation and panic in Habs land haha. For some reason, my gut says Eiserman.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Hughes might need to move up from the WIN pick tonal another forward, either Beckett Sennecke, or Sacha Boisvert, both of which can become premium prospects even if chosen outside the top-10.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Writing off Catton because of "size" is very disappointing. The kid is going to be a stud in the league

He's not even that small. He himself says he's 5'11 175, with plenty of room to grow as well. He also recognizes the need to get stronger, players can grow, and add mass. What they can't do is add innate hockey IQ and natural offensive talent, both things that Catton and Demidov have in spades.

Demidov is just on a higher level, and thus, totally understandable why the habs wouldn't bat an eye at his size restrictions. I don't think they should with Catton either, (who's size concerns are competely overblown) Is one inch and 10 lbs really that much of a discrepancy between two teenage players? Catton VS Iginla

I myself have been torn between Catton and Iginla for awhile, wouldn't be upset with either, I just prefer Catton's upside more.

I wouldn't even think twice about Demidov.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
6 0 185 is actually classic size for a scoring winger.

The point here is targeting guys that have shown ability to add muscle/weight at an earlier age vs taking a 160 lbs player hoping he reaches 200 lbs. There are a lot of hopefuls in every draft year around 160 lbs or less. Guys like Catton who rack up impressive CHL numbers and fans think they are the next P Kane.

Suzuki was 5'-11" and 183 in his draft year. Similar to guys like Iggy and Eiserman in this draft year. Suzuki is now around 205 lbs I believe.

If we are going on deep playoff runs in the future, we need warriors that can score.

Can't help that KH will pick someone that will cause both jubilation and panic in Habs land haha. For some reason, my gut says Eiserman.

I'd be happy with the Eiserman pick. Kid has a lot of pedigree and has that size/goal scoring package we need. Skating is solid.

Some fans think he's going closer to 10 vs 5 but I don't believe so. Performed very well all season in the UTDP and just had 10 pts with 9 goals in 7 U18 games.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not just "size" because, in the same breath it is said the Habs are fine with Demidov which is of similar size/weight as Catton.

Agreed and It's deeper than that. If we go small, we think we are getting a P Kane type star. Those types are few and far between.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's not about writing him off. It's about trying to build a contender and not have have our forward group with over half of them soft skilled types that fade when the going gets rough.

Catton could be as good as Jarvis yes. Not saying Catton will be overly soft for sure. The main point here is can we get a scoring winger with size that has the same skill as Catton? I think we can.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
It's not about writing him off. It's about trying to build a contender and not have have our forward group with over half of them soft skilled types that fade when the going gets rough.

Catton could be as good as Jarvis yes. Not saying Catton will be overly soft for sure. The main point here is can we get a scoring winger with size that has the same skill as Catton? I think we can.
Small doesn’t mean soft. Unless you think Gallagher and Marchand are soft.
Even that new guy who fell in the draft to Buffalo last year, Zach Benson. That kid is gritty. Not soft at all

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Small doesn’t mean soft. Unless you think Gallagher and Marchand are soft.
Even that new guy who fell in the draft to Buffalo last year, Zach Benson. That kid is gritty. Not soft at all

This has been talked about over and over again year after year. Naming a few guys who are tough but on the smaller side doesn't prove anything.

The teams who draft well, pick up those Gallagher and Marchand type players later in the draft.

If you want a Jarvis type added to this forward group, take Catton. Personally, I would take Eiserman or Iggy over Catton.

• Haha
Reactions: MasterMatt25

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Totally agree.
Catton vs Lindstrom reminds me of Stutzle vs Byfield. Before the 2020 draft, I ranked Stutzle before Byfield, but the former ends up picked after the latter.
Stutzle: 285 games, 247 points, 0.87 ppg
Byfield: 179 games, 88 points, 0.49 ppg

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad