Speculation: Signing Erik Haula

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Fabbri/Namestnikov's role I would think.

+ age, he'll be 30 in March/injuries/already overflowing w/bottom 6'ers.

"Speculation"?

At this point with the kids kicking ass in Europe (Zadina soon to be), Ras & McIsaac on the shelf for now, we're only ~5 months away from some/most of them coming back to the US & we should see a few @ TDL (Seider/Veleno probably etc.). I'm comfortable waiting til then & not sign yet another mediocre player. If we start ~ Jan 1st we're only talking about ~3 months, not worth it.

We are so much closer to competing for a WC spot than we were in April '19 when Yzerman arrived & he's just getting started. I'm very anxious/excited for the '21-'22 season.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He played 2nd line minutes this year and only put up 24 pts in 48 games which isn't terrible exciting to me. If super cheap and we have a space I am fine with him, but not as 2nd line center. I say, just let Fabbri have a go at it, as I think that is the position he has said he would like to play.

Reactions: hkydave04

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
He played 2nd line minutes this year and only put up 24 pts in 48 games which isn't terrible exciting to me. If super cheap and we have a space I am fine with him, but not as 2nd line center. I say, just let Fabbri have a go at it, as I think that is the position he has said he would like to play.

Haula has never played with a high quality playmaker. He had his best season (29goals) with Perron and Neal. Neal is a natural scorer like Haula and Perron isnt elite playmaker.

I've followed Haula closely during his whole career and seen most of his games. While Haula doesn't deke or have the best playmaking abilities himself, IF he gets a chance with elite playmaker, he has the shot quality for 40 goals. Has anyone seen him ever fluff a shot?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If we buyout Nielsen I'd give him a 1 year deal just to see what he is with appropriate opportunity/ ice time

Trade him at TDL for a pick

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd like to Sign Haula on a moderate deal as the 2nd line C.

Is this a good idea? Or is that going to be Namestnikov's spot??
Is Haula healthy?

Think he is fine, and he will surprise people as a bargain, whereever he goes. Why? Explained after this comment.

But you didn't know that the guy could have lost his motivation totally at mid-season. Their unborn child did die on the new years eve at 2019. Before that incident, Haula had scored 17 points in first 21 games (0.81 points per game). He was thriwing at Carolina. After that, he scored only 1+5=6 points in last 27 games. Also got traded to crappy Florida.

Think he will be a steal for any team he signs as UFA. Quite sure he has got mentally over the tragedy in 10 months. Life goes on. But you can draw clear line, how his season went bad after the tragedy (totally cold, only 0.22 ppg), and how great that season was before the tragedy (0.81 = career hottest ppg).

If we cut this tragedy off and pull a bigger sample size for his career, starting from 2017-18 season and ending the sample size for the last day of 2019, he has played:

112 games, scored 42+37 = 79 points (0.71 points per game). That points per game is at same level as Anthony Mantha's last 3 years combined. Both have had injuries, but that's great production for sure. Haula is also fine at center, has been 52% faceoffs during this time.

Any GM who will gamble for this guy, is gonna look genius. You don't have to overpay or anything. Just sign him for reasonable price and trust him. Think he is looking back going to Vegas, who has a bit center concerns now after trading Stastny. But they have to fix the cap first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
[QUOTE="Henkka, post: 174392725, member: 15641"

But you didn't know that the guy could have lost his motivation totally at mid-season. Their unborn child did die on the new years eve 2019. Before that incident, Haula had scored 17 points in first 21 games (0.81 points per game). He was thriwing at Carolina. After that, he scored only 1+5=6 points in last 27 games. Also got traded to crappy Florida.

....[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, I didn't know that. That sucks.

Reactions: Oddbob and Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd like to Sign Haula on a moderate deal as the 2nd line C.

Is this a good idea? Or is that going to be Namestnikov's spot??
Is Haula healthy?

Right now Fabbri and Namestnikov will probably get looks there (and/or 3c), at least there has been talk of Fabbri getting a look at C this year. Except neither has been a center for at least a couple of seasons now.

My guess is that neither will be horrible at it, and that'll be good enough for a lot of folks to chalk it up as a success.

They could also slot gagner in there, though he has the same issue as Fabbri/Namestnikov. Flip/Nielsen are still on board. I think if you give Nielsen some competent wings, we could see him bounce back to being that ~35 point guy we had the first three years here.

I think Haula would be a legitimate upgrade and would fill a clear need. He'd be a real center for our numerous wings and allow guys to be better slotted in throughout the lineup. Frankly, Haula should have been a forward move we made this summer without signing a bunch of other filler up front.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If we buyout Nielsen I'd give him a 1 year deal just to see what he is with appropriate opportunity/ ice time

Trade him at TDL for a pick
That's what I'm thinking, 1 yr $1M deal so he can prove himself. Maybe put him with Ryan and Zadina. All the sudden we'll actually have 4 NHL caliber lines.

At this point he's not gonna get a multi year contract from anyone. I think all of the remaining free agents are screwed.

Really think extending Erne and Biega was a mistake. THere are still decent players on UFA that are gonna have to sign cheap contracts. If the team is on a budget, then those 2 contracts actually hurt.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's what I'm thinking, 1 yr $1M deal so he can prove himself. Maybe put him with Ryan and Zadina. All the sudden we'll actually have 4 NHL caliber lines.

At this point he's not gonna get a multi year contract from anyone. I think all of the remaining free agents are screwed.

Really think extending Erne and Biega was a mistake. THere are still decent players on UFA that are gonna have to sign cheap contracts. If the team is on a budget, then those 2 contracts actually hurt.

Hurts less if we have any actual faith that GR will play this year. Their entire cap hits disappear if assigned to GR, and if they are lost to waivers...so what? Same with Gagner and Ryan, if we really wanted to clear the decks. Stecher would leave somewhere between $500-700K on our cap if he was sent down.

Hindsight makes me wish the only move we had made was Greiss, and it would be more likely to make runs at Haula, Hoffman, and Vatanen. Guess also Kahun and Duclair.

Reactions: MBH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Really think extending Erne and Biega was a mistake. There are still decent players on UFA that are gonna have to sign cheap contracts. If the team is on a budget, then those 2 contracts actually hurt.

Those are totally meaningless contracts. Everything under the 1M waivers-burning limit won't hurt anyhow. You can send them down, and not cry after, if someone picks them from waivers.

Those aren't mistakes. Just depth you can dump out, if you get something better.

Ottawa just signed Galchenyuk for 1.05M. Same thing. Zero value contracts, not negative, not positive.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't really want to collect a bunch of middle 6 mediocrity 30 something's again and then have them overstay their welcome. I have just as much interest seeing bad hockey as I do mediocre hockey so we might as well take the better lottery odds and move on. We already have Ryan, Granger, Filpulla, Neilsen, Namestinkov, Helm, its just enough. I would like to see focus on core players not depth mediocrity.

Reactions: njx9

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Those are totally meaningless contracts. Everything under the 1M waivers-burning limit won't hurt anyhow. You can send them down, and not cry after, if someone picks them from waivers.

Those aren't mistakes. Just depth you can dump out, if you get something better.

Ottawa just signed Galchenyuk for 1.05M. Same thing. Zero value contracts, not negative, not positive.
THey are meaningful when the team is pinching pennies. Could easily been the team that signed Galchenyuk, if not for $1.85M tied up in Erne and Biega.

Galchenyuk > Erne + Beiga

Same goes for Haula, etc.

Any other year, I agree it wouldn't matter, but Chris obviously has an internal cap.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
At this point the only names that'll perk my attention is Anthony Duclair and/or Sami Vatanen

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Think he is fine, and he will surprise people as a bargain, whereever he goes. Why? Explained after this comment.

But you didn't know that the guy could have lost his motivation totally at mid-season. Their unborn child did die on the new years eve at 2019. Before that incident, Haula had scored 17 points in first 21 games (0.81 points per game). He was thriwing at Carolina. After that, he scored only 1+5=6 points in last 27 games. Also got traded to crappy Florida.

Think he will be a steal for any team he signs as UFA. Quite sure he has got mentally over the tragedy in 10 months. Life goes on. But you can draw clear line, how his season went bad after the tragedy (totally cold, only 0.22 ppg), and how great that season was before the tragedy (0.81 = career hottest ppg).

If we cut this tragedy off and pull a bigger sample size for his career, starting from 2017-18 season and ending the sample size for the last day of 2019, he has played:

112 games, scored 42+37 = 79 points (0.71 points per game). That points per game is at same level as Anthony Mantha's last 3 years combined. Both have had injuries, but that's great production for sure. Haula is also fine at center, has been 52% faceoffs during this time.

Any GM who will gamble for this guy, is gonna look genius. You don't have to overpay or anything. Just sign him for reasonable price and trust him. Think he is looking back going to Vegas, who has a bit center concerns now after trading Stastny. But they have to fix the cap first.

Terrible news, and definitely didn't know that.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
At this point the only names that'll perk my attention is Anthony Duclair and/or Sami Vatanen

Hoffman on a one year deal? I know most won't agree but at this point, if er can add another vet on a one year deal and pay him high salary at worst case we retain on.. Its no risk. Some of these guys are relatively young, its not Vanek on a second stint.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did he dump his girlfriend/fiance/wife?

BTW,

that woman has the biggest impact on Senators rebuild at the moment.

That fight against Karlsson-wife went totally out of the hands on social media.... --> both have to be traded --> both were valuable assets. Team had just been at conference finals. ---> Other assets were also interesting. They traded them out for futures.

That team was in a moment, where any other team would have tried to continue success, with their core in prime, but that changed upsidedown thanks to this Hoffman-wife.

Now, I'd take that Senators prospect-core any day before Red Wings one. It will be a powerhouse very fast at Atlantic division.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
BTW,

that woman has the biggest impact on Senators rebuild at the moment.

That fight against Karlsson-wife went totally out of the hands on social media.... --> both have to be traded --> both were valuable assets. Team had just been at conference finals. ---> Other assets were also interesting. They traded them out for futures.

That team was in a moment, where any other team would have tried to continue success, with their core in prime, but that changed upsidedown thanks to this Hoffman-wife.

Now, I'd take that Senators prospect-core any day before Red Wings one. It will be a powerhouse very fast at Atlantic division.

Could be.
With their owner, would they even have signed him?
And by the way, Karlsson looks like a terrible contract now.

Ottawa was able to draft Stutzle and Sanderson.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They also got Josh Norris as center who could become future "Pavelski".

Erik Karlsson
<>
Josh Norris (2017 19th overall, still 1st round talent progressing well)
1st round 2020 (Sanderson)
Chris Tierney
Rudolfs Balcers
Dylan DeMelo -------> already traded for WPG 3rd rounder
2019 2nd round pick
2021 2nd round pick (conditional, if Karlsson re-signs - did re-sign.)

1st + 1st + Tierney + Balcers + 2nd + 2nd + 3rd.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad