Signing Bonuses & The Salary Cap

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I've heard that signing bonuses are figured into the Salary Cap. For instance, if a player signs a 5 year $25 mil contract with a $5 mil signing bonus, the Cap hit should be $6 mil per year for 5 years.

But I'm not seeing that. For instance, look at Brassard's contract here:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-york-rangers/derick-brassard/
$5 mil cap hit over 5 years for his $25 mil contract. Yet, there is an $8 mil signing bonus that is apparently not calculated into the cap.

Check out Lundqvist here: http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-york-rangers/henrik-lundqvist/
$59.5 mil over 7 years. $8.5 mil Cap hit. Yet there is a $14 mil signing bonus that is apparently not figured into the cap.

What am I overlooking here? If it were that easy to overstep the cap, reported salaries would be small and everyone would get huge signing bonuses...but that is not the case.

Someone help me out on this please. I'm obviously missing something.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I've heard that signing bonuses are figured into the Salary Cap. For instance, if a player signs a 5 year $25 mil contract with a $5 mil signing bonus, the Cap hit should be $6 mil per year for 5 years.

But I'm not seeing that. For instance, look at Brassard's contract here:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-york-rangers/derick-brassard/
$5 mil cap hit over 5 years for his $25 mil contract. Yet, there is an $8 mil signing bonus that is apparently not calculated into the cap.

Check out Lundqvist here: http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-york-rangers/henrik-lundqvist/
$59.5 mil over 7 years. $8.5 mil Cap hit. Yet there is a $14 mil signing bonus that is apparently not figured into the cap.

What am I overlooking here? If it were that easy to overstep the cap, reported salaries would be small and everyone would get huge signing bonuses...but that is not the case.

Someone help me out on this please. I'm obviously missing something.

The website is not being clear. The signing bonus is included into the "base salary (cash)" number.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Thanks! And I see that the signing bonuses can be paid up front in a lump sum...so that would be attractive to players (they can invest it, etc...)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Thanks! And I see that the signing bonuses can be paid up front in a lump sum...so that would be attractive to players (they can invest it, etc...)

Especially for ELS deals, that signing bonus $$ (seems to be ~10%) is often used to pay for a new car (so they have something to drive to new NHL/AHL job).

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

In both cases you mentioned it's being paid out over the life of the contract. They are getting part of the bonus every year that would paid on July 1st.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In both cases you mentioned it's being paid out over the life of the contract. They are getting part of the bonus every year that would paid on July 1st.

Signing bonuses are often paid lump sump, but for cap purposes are amortized over the life of the contract.

HOWEVER, bonuses can be negotiated to be paid in annual "7/1" (or any other date) periodic payments.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Signing bonuses are often paid lump sump, but for cap purposes are amortized over the life of the contract.

HOWEVER, bonuses can be negotiated to be paid in annual "7/1" (or any other date) periodic payments.

Note however that that the actual amount of Signing Bonus paid in a year is limited by the 20% maximum salary limit - the total of salary and all bonuses paid in any year cannot exceed 20% of the Upper Limit in the year the SPC was signed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is the July 1st date for signing bonuses being due just a typical date ; or can signing bonuses be paid out on different dates depending on the contract?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Not necessarily, again it depends on how the contract is structured. For example Brassard received no signing bonus in the first year of the contract, but then has signing bonuses in the other 4 years of the contract ranging from $1.5m to $2.5m.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So we had a lockout over ridiculous back diving contracts and the League retroactively punished teams that signed players to them

The insane signing bonuses are more of a grey area, certainly less of a circumvention in absolute terms however is it reasonable to argue that these 15 million dollar signing bonuses go against the spirit of the cap since not a lot of teams can afford to play that game.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m sure it’ll be brought up at the next lockout as the owners will be paying those bonuses out without receiving any gate revenue. They always seem to need to be saved from themselves. But I’d be surprised if there was any penalty or cap implication, just a tweak to how much of a contract can be bonus.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm not sure I agree with them either. Thinking it might be an issue to be looked at during the next CBA as was previously mentioned.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
My guess the league will push for a clause in next cba that non-performance bonuses can be only a certain percentage of the overall salary.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Again, in the other thread, it's explained that the bonus counts against the cap, but is so counted as of it were spread over the length entire length of the contract.

I fail to see an issue here. Please help me.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
$235,609,277

and this will go up. Is a quarter of a billion dollars of signing bonuses enough to speed up resolution of the next lockout?

I could see this reach half a billion next FA period.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So we had a lockout over ridiculous back diving contracts and the League retroactively punished teams that signed players to them

The insane signing bonuses are more of a grey area, certainly less of a circumvention in absolute terms however is it reasonable to argue that these 15 million dollar signing bonuses go against the spirit of the cap since not a lot of teams can afford to play that game.

I don’t see it.

However, I seem to remember that signing bonuses have an effect on escrow... negative on the players side. So the NHLPA might have a bigger issue with it than the league.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Is that the signing bonuses for all the players in the league that were due today, or the cap hit for all the players signed today?

Because there was like $224MM in cap hit signed so far this UFA period, so it would be weird if those two numbers were that close.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If they count against the cap, what's the difference?
Again, in the other thread, it's explained that the bonus counts against the cap, but is so counted as of it were spread over the length entire length of the contract.

I fail to see an issue here. Please help me

Not a lot of teams can afford to pay out 10s of million of dollars in one go.

Signing bonuses are essentially completely unregulated and it seems to be getting to the point where teams that can afford to pay someone 15 million dollars in one day may have an advantage that the league might find troublesome.

Very few teams can compete with that and the whole point of the cap is to level the playing field so is this an issue? I am not saying it is, I am wondering how people view this trend because it's increasing in intensity. This also means very rich teams get a big advantage as we get closer to the end of a CBA (since signing bonuses are paid even in a lockout I believe), is that something that could be a concern?

Just looking to discuss really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad