Significant Team numbers, so far.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
pretty much midway through the short season, everyone knows where we are in the standings, as surprising as it may be but there are other interresting team numbers that should be looked at as well

Goals per game : 3.2 goals per game, good for 4th in the NHL

Goals : 83 goals , 3rd behind pittsburgh and tampa, ahead of chicago

Shots for : 30.3, good for 7th in the NHL (leader 33)

Shots against : 26.6 shots, good for 27th in the NHL (4th best)

PP/PK : 8th/13th, pretty well balanced

all these things are pretty significant i find, discuss?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
pretty much midway through the short season, everyone knows where we are in the standings, as surprising as it may be but there are other interresting team numbers that should be looked at as well

Goals per game : 3.2 goals per game, good for 4th in the NHL

Goals : 83 goals , 3rd behind pittsburgh and tampa, ahead of chicago

PP/PK : 8th/13th, pretty well balanced

all these things are pretty significant i find, discuss?

In a way those things show it's not a fluke that we are among the top teams. They may drop a bit but should still be top 10.

Funny thing is, after 10-12 games people were asking if they could keep it up, since then they have gotten even better, even with a bunch of road games. 11-1-3 last 15, at least in part because guys like Subban, Gionta and DD have hit their stride.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
In short, the team is not first in the east by mistake...

Most surprising stat to me is GPG
Most disappointing (somewhat) is PK %

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Biggest difference is goals. Hands down. We went from a chronically low-scoring, cautious team to a crazy forechecking beast of a team, with defensemen pitching in deeper in the O-zone and forwards swarming the net like flies on crap. Attitude and system are the biggest reasons for our increased production, individuals like Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bourque, Gionta and Prust fleshing out our lines is also huge.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I'm thinking PK is down since last season because Plekanec's has been spending less time on it (about a minute less per game on average), but I'm completely fine with that as he's been able to contribute more offensively because of it (slowed down slightly without Bourque but that's normal).

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Points in the standings remains the most important number. Last season was a shambles despite the impressive goals totals by Cole and Pacioretty.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
What is our top 10 players average points? I think everything has similar number of points.

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS
Tampa with a +6 GS/GA while in 13th with 10-14?

Exactly. They are in some ways the Habs of last season. All last year I looked at GF/GA and knew the Habs weren't as bad as their record indicated. They were in almost every game. Same with Tampa this year. They need better goal tending for sure but they are not as bad as their results indicate.

What is good about the Habs is that their success is not based on fluky luck. The fundamental numbers are sound.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
I'm thinking PK is down since last season because Plekanec's has been spending less time on it (about a minute less per game on average), but I'm completely fine with that as he's been able to contribute more offensively because of it (slowed down slightly without Bourque but that's normal).

Hal Gill.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Aren't those numbers and being number 1 in the conference correlated? It would be surprising and noteworthy if those numbers weren't in the top 10.

Jake5

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal, QC
i'm very surprised the PP ranks 8th with how inept it has looked at times. also, I'd definitely like to see the PK do a bit better than 13th given how dominant it has been the past few years. other than that......:banana::banana::banana:

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
a very important stat you forgot is 5 on 5 for and against.we have been top 5 all year.hopefully we can keep this up.this team aint goin anywhere if they jusy rely on the pp.even strength is where its at.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
a very important stat you forgot is 5 on 5 for and against.we have been top 5 all year.hopefully we can keep this up.this team aint goin anywhere if they jusy rely on the pp.even strength is where its at.

This most important stat of them all. When the refs throw away the whistles in the playoffs we should be able to compete still assuming we keep it rolling.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

1.35 F/A ratio, good enough 3rd in the league

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal

This is the most important stat. This is how games are won on the long run. Getting the special teams better is important too, but as long as we just outproduce the opponent like that we should be good.

It's the teams that rely on special teams that have the most to fear during the playoffs.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
This is the most important stat. This is how games are won on the long run. Getting the special teams better is important too, but as long as we just outproduce the opponent like that we should be good.

It's the teams that rely on special teams that have the most to fear during the playoffs.

completely agreed on this, i like where our PP/PK's are just fine, a bonus, not something to rely on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad