Significant Returns to a certain place with crowd reactions

Al Bundy*

With Niedermayer making his return to New Jersey on Friday, I was wondering what were some of the more significant player returns/debuts to an arena of a team where they had made headlines involving said team.

I am looking for two types: those where the fans in the arena reacted positively and those where they acted negatively.

Here are two examples:

Positive- Messier's return to MSG as a Canuck

Negatibe- Pronger's return to Edmonton as a Duck

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
Here is Brad Park's recounting of his return to New York after being traded to Boston.
"When I went back to New York, I got booed every time I touched the puck. Every time," Brad says, shaking his head. "I busted my ass for eight years and that's the reception I got. Turning the loyal ties around had been very difficult for me until that happened. You know, the first time Espo (Phil Esposito) went back to Boston, he got a standing ovation!"

Klaus*

Well, two positive examples this season were the instances in which Jason Smith and Ryan Smyth returned to Rexall Place.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Jose Théodore in Montreal : Best term to describe is "sarcastic".

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here is Brad Park's recounting of his return to New York after being traded to Boston.
"When I went back to New York, I got booed every time I touched the puck. Every time," Brad says, shaking his head. "I busted my ass for eight years and that's the reception I got. Turning the loyal ties around had been very difficult for me until that happened. You know, the first time Espo (Phil Esposito) went back to Boston, he got a standing ovation!"

Weird with Park. I mean it isnt as if he left the team for more money, he was traded in the middle of the season.

I can remember after the '96 World Cup Brett Hull was booed in every Canadian city he played in. In fact he scored his 500th goal in Edmonton but was booed by the fans.

Al Bundy*

I can remember after the '96 World Cup Brett Hull was booed in every Canadian city he played in. In fact he scored his 500th goal in Edmonton but was booed by the fans.

Brett did NOT score goal #500 in Edmonton, IIRC.

Any Blues fans want to clarify?

Murphy7

Drop the puck
Jan 25, 2008
I think it was 1975 or 76...
"EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!"
The Rangers waived legendary goalie Eddie Giacomin. Then-lowly Detroit claimed him. Two days later, the Wings come into MSG. Rangers players said they felt like the opposition. Eddie cried, and the fans cheered his every save.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Ray Bourque to Boston-very positive.

I'm really bitter when I think back to that game. People should have given him an ovation before the game and leave it at that. Instead, the stupid Bruin fans at that game helped give Colorado a lift early on when they jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Colorado won 4-2, and the Bruins missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker with Carolina. Makes me really bitter....you gotta keep your eye on the prize.

Thornton came back to Boston about 6 weeks after they gave him away to San Jose. He then drilled Hal Gill in the corner and was unjustifiably tossed from the game (the NHL issued an apology and rescinded the game misconduct). Thornton got two standing Os....one for coming back, and one for drilling Hal Gill.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
The best return I've seen was Guy, Guy, Guy returning to the forum with the Rangers for the first time after his retirement and comeback. 2 goals, score was 7-5 I think for the Habs (I taped the game, I should dig it up and watch it again). But he got his standing O, fans got to see him score twice and their team won, how much more perfect could it have been.

Bupi

Jul 26, 2006
Gordie Howe's return to Detroit in 1980 ASG, pretty positive.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Didn't Howie Morenz get booed in his return to Montreal as a Blackhawk? I feel like I've read this somewhere, but I can't find the source. Can somebody confirm this?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Joe Sakic scored his 500th (I think) in Vancouver and got a standing ovation. Canucks won the game as well.

noodleboy*

Todd Bertuzzi still gets cheered every time he plays in Vancouver.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Some obvious positive returns:

-Gretzky back to Edmonton as a King
-Messier back to MSG as a Canuck

And, as a Ranger fan, some that I have witnessed:
-Eddie back to MSG as a Red Wing ("Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!")
-To a lesser degree, but both Leetch back as a Bruin and Graves back as a Shark aroused great emotion at the garden.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
Jaromir Jagr was boo'ed when he returned to Pittsburgh as a Washington Captial and unfortunately is still boo'ed by some today when he visits the Mellon Arena.

Ron Francis was a guy who was cheered when he returned to Pittsburgh after signing with Carolina. Ronnie was a class guy who left at a time when the Penguins were not handing out big contracts. Alex Kovalev also receives a fair amount of cheers when he returns to Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad