Proposal: Sign Ville Nieminen?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Nieminen could still play in the NHL, but I dont think it's necessary when there's already Sean and Kulikov helping him. Is Kulikov your only Russian?

Btw even if Barkov's english sounds bad, he probably understands 95% of everything people say. It's just that you really dont have to speak english very often here in Finland, even at school it's mostly reading/writing.

we had kovalev last year, but he's going to play in switzerland now i think

but yes, kulikov/bergenheim. we have kosov waiting in russia if he ever wants to/can make the jump

delnov plays in the ECHL but i think he's a long shot,

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
At first I really liked the idea.

Then I hated it.

---

We drafted Barkov because he was mature and low maintenance. He doesn't need a baby sitter.

---

I think he'll be better if he endures his growing pains on his own.

---

He can always skype his hockey mentor if he needs some guidance. No need to have him in the locker room.

---

I think it will hurt his standing in the locker room and ability to bond with his teammates.

The only way Nieminen will come over is if he's guaranteed a spot.

What message does it send that Barkov gets TWO roster spots without even stepping onto NHL ice.

You took the words right out of my mouth ATF.

At first I too thought it was a great idea as well, bringing in Nieminen to help ease his way into the North American game, but the more I thought about it the less I liked it.

Barkov is a big boy and has proven he can handle tough situations by playing in a men's league at age 16. If Ville comes over, his adjustment will be longer, he won't be forced to use English as much, and it might create some separation between him and his teammates.

He's going to be an integral part of this franchise for years, so the sooner he can integrate himself in the locker room the better. With Bergy here he's not totally in the dark and we have a lot of guys in the same age group that will help him out.

The comradery I see between our prospects on Twitter and in interviews and locker room stuff seems like there is some real genuine friendship among Huby/Matthias/Shore and Co.

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
How about signing Valtteri Filppula if he becomes a Free Agent (which seems likely at this point)? He could also provide help for the whole team and not just Barkov; as he could slot in the 2nd line, maybe even 1st if needed, and would play every situation if needed.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
How about signing Valtteri Filppula if he becomes a Free Agent (which seems likely at this point)? He could also provide help for the whole team and not just Barkov; as he could slot in the 2nd line, maybe even 1st if needed, and would play every situation if needed.

from what ive heard he's requesting too much money for his production, rather sign weiss/lecavalier/bozk/ribiero for that money

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

A guy scores 60+ points once in his career and demands $5+ million? No thank you.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He'll be fine with Bergy and Kulikov. Might even do some basic Swedish with Markie.

Killerinstinct

Dec 19, 2012

I´d say welcome to Filppula, but only if the case is we can´t get better (Lecavalier, Ribeiro).

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
He'll be fine with Bergy and Kulikov. Might even do some basic Swedish with Markie.

If Sasha is really a true Finnish kid, that's going to be seriously basic stuff... maybe 'hej', 'ja' and 'nej'. :laugh:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Brian Campbell played a season in FEL. He boosted his developement playing in FEL in big role.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
"Ha du svarje snus? "

Did someone say snus?

WintergreenWhite_snus.jpg

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Did someone say snus?

its actually interesting how a lot of hockey players actually uses snus. most of my old classmates who played hockey at the elite junior levels used it, also seen markström use it and someone said alfredsson uses it a lot too

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
its actually interesting how a lot of hockey players actually uses snus. most of my old classmates who played hockey at the elite junior levels used it, also seen markström use it and someone said alfredsson uses it a lot too

I've heard that Zetterberg is massive user.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

I almost gave it a try myself, it's a hell of a lot more healthy than smoking cigarettes which I wanted to quit. I ended up going the e-cig route for now. :)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Did someone say snus?

Yes. Finnish players hardest transition in the NHL is to learn use snus under lower lip instead of upper lip, like american snus should, instead of using it under lower lip, like Swedish snus should be used :sarcasm: It's also funny how snus is banned in Finland but you always find it from hockey arenas if you have someone who to ask from when you need it. It's really popular in hockey. Probably they use it because they canno't stop.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland

The convenience stores in Stockholm Sweden ran out of snus when the European Hockey Tour went there last February. It was probably mostly because of the hockey fans, though.

Btw even if Barkov's english sounds bad, he probably understands 95% of everything people say. It's just that you really dont have to speak english very often here in Finland, even at school it's mostly reading/writing.

If it's true that Barkov went to kauppaopisto, he probably hasn't been doing much reading or writing in any language. I think it's been clear to him from a very early age that it's all about hockey.

Might even do some basic Swedish with Markie.

This was a joke, right?

Last edited:

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
I almost gave it a try myself, it's a hell of a lot more healthy than smoking cigarettes which I wanted to quit. I ended up going the e-cig route for now. :)

If you've never smoked cigarettes and therefore havent got used to nicotine, snus is definitely worth trying :) You get some kind of nicotine-high that in my case equals to drinking like 6 beers lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad