Sign Grigorenko to replace Nosek ?

Octopus

May 17, 2006
I was disappointed to see Vegas pick up Nosek. I thought he looked on his short stint with the Wings last year and proved he's a keeper in the AHL Playoffs. Grigorenko would be a good choice at a decent price to replace him. Thoughts anyone?

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
I'd love the skill and scoring ability he brings, and if there's still any shred of truth to the Wings being a very good team for player development, hopefully they can reverse the direction of his career.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
We should be excited by the possibility of a 12th overall pick that's only 23 years old. May be in Detroit he finds the right guidance to invigorate his (young)career. If you grab players young enough it's like a 2nd draft.

Taken from the unqualified thread:

Svechnikov- Grigorenko- Yakupov

New Russian 3. :popcorn:

This may be in jest but seriously that sounds interesting to me. A lot more potential than Glendening, Sheahan, Helm, Miller or whatever "safe" veteran plug Holland suffers us with. I'll wait until later to really get into it but I have 0 excitement over Tatar returning. He's small, inconsistent, and basically redundant at this point. We've seen that show before I am tired tired of the same losing formations.

If Holland picks up Grigorenko I will be very pleased.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
We should be excited by the possibility of a 12th overall pick that's only 23 years old. May be in Detroit he finds the right guidance to invigorate his (young)career. If you grab players young enough it's like a 2nd draft.

Taken from the unqualified thread:

This may be in jest but seriously that sounds interesting to me. A lot more potential than Glendening, Sheahan, Helm, Miller or whatever "safe" veteran plug Holland suffers us with. I'll wait until later to really get into it but I have 0 excitement over Tatar returning. He's small, inconsistent, and basically redundant at this point. We've seen that show before I am tired tired of the same losing formations.

If Holland picks up Grigorenko I will be very pleased.

Yak is overrated. I wouldn't be surprised if he is out off the league in like 2 years.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I don't see why not, he's a high reward low risk signing. We have good leaders in Detroit, and he's still only 23!!

Most of our 23 years olds get stashed in the AHL.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd happily give Yak or Grigorienko a shot. Each obviously still has more potential, and it's not like we have anything to lose.

LitanyofCurses

Mar 19, 2013
This is a front office that values 'work ethic' about all else, including talent it seems. So the likes of Grigorenko or Yakupov getting a chance in Detroit seems very unlikely. I'd take Grigorenko though.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
This is a front office that values 'work ethic' about all else, including talent it seems. So the likes of Grigorenko or Yakupov getting a chance in Detroit seems very unlikely. I'd take Grigorenko though.

While I agree with your point, and how our FO sees it, Yakupov has never lacked work ethic. He's lacked awareness. He actually hustles very hard

As someone who has met Nail, just like to point out that popular misconception.

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'd like to give Grigorenko a shot. I think it is important to remember that he has played on absolutely awful teams with terrible leadership his entire NHL career.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Grigs fits a lot of what they have been looking for in the draft. Big guy that skates really well. I would love to give him a shot.

I think Yakupov actually should go to Europe to figure things out. It is weird that the one guy I think should retreat to Russia and really figure out his game is completely against it..

Oct 18, 2006
So true, sadly.

Pipe dream this, as much as I'd like it.

So glad we've got that "work ethic" and a garbage team.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He's a 23 year old and probably a third liner. Whoever doesn't sign him is a loser in this case

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Grigs fits a lot of what they have been looking for in the draft. Big guy that skates really well. I would love to give him a shot.

I think Yakupov actually should go to Europe to figure things out. It is weird that the one guy I think should retreat to Russia and really figure out his game is completely against it..

I haven't paid much attention to it, but an Avs fan on the main trade board had some stats showing other player's production spike with Grigs vs without. The numbers were nothing overwhelming, but they were a bit of a counterweight to the whole soft/uninvolved storyline that has grown around him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Would love this signing always believed he could pull together a career.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
We are significantly better than the Sabres and Avs teams Grigorenko has played on so far. Those teams also had 0 leadership

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea. Definitely worth a shot.

But, Patrick Roy couldn't get this guy to come around, I don't think Blashill will. He couldn't get his GR kids to play well here last year.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Andrej Nestrasil is a similar player to Nosek and is already familiar with the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad