sign a ufa for this rebuild / development era

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
not for winnings sake , but in effort to help the development of the prospects coming up the next few years . my signing would be pat maroon on a 2 year contract to bring some muscle that'll help keep the rats off the prospects and take the burden of making a stand vs the rats off mantha . another thought is boyle to teach razz net front behavior .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
More and more SC windows are going shorter and shorter. But contenders could have many short windows during a period of same star players in prime.

I think biggest changes for the future are UFAs are gonna sign short-term and those are matched for cheap ELCs, depending on how good your ELC guys are. And when those cheap ELCs end, those UFA-contracts should end and cap space will go to RFA extensions. Then you wait for the next waive of ELCs and next push with UFAs.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
While the purpose of the signing wouldnt be as a mentor, if we didn’t sign Niemeth I would have loved to see if we could get Jake Gardiener to bite with a one year 8.5 mil contract to flip at the tdl. He’d be giving up security but in return he’d be getting more cash upfront.

If we did that and Green had a good/healthy year we could have probably came away with two firsts for next draft. Then again, this is operating under the assumption that he’d WANT to come here for that deal

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Unless its a franchise player or someone overseas with huge upside I pass. UFA can be added when the cup window has holes to fill. No need to add risky inflated contracts until the current core is solidified through the draft.

I'd be okay taking on a bad contract for picks but I think our cap space for that moe is now used up.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
WTF HOW DID I MISS THIS.

I would have signed him to a three year deal.
I'd just as soon put McIlrath out there, dress 7D. Nemeth, McIlrath, Bowey, and BigE can all fight, though some better than others. Play Bowey on RW if they need a 4th line winger. He likes to cycle the puck down low anyways.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I'd just as soon put McIlrath out there, dress 7D. Nemeth, McIlrath, Bowey, and BigE can all fight, though some better than others. Play Bowey on RW if they need a 4th line winger. He likes to cycle the puck down low anyways.
do you think it feasible that 19 let wiski go with the idea hes going to make wrath the 7th ?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
do you think it feasible that 19 let wiski go with the idea hes going to make wrath the 7th ?
No, I don't think Stevie wants an enforcer on the roster at all, which is odd considering he had protection for his entire career. If anything I think he wants a guy with some hockey skills.

Putting McIlrath as 7D/enforcer is strictly my idea, there is no indication that the team will carry him on the roster. I hope it happens though.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
God, why?
I wouldn't have signed him for 3 years but I wouldn't have minded if we gave him 1-2 at league minimum. Ratchet player that is by all accounts a great locker room guy while watching the game from the presser and gives his all when he's in the lineup. After we signed Nemeth I figured his days were done.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I wouldn't have signed him for 3 years but I wouldn't have minded if we gave him 1-2 at league minimum. Ratchet player that is by all accounts a great locker room guy while watching the game from the presser and gives his all when he's in the lineup. After we signed Nemeth I figured his days were done.

Id rather sign good players, but hey, that’s just me. I think we have enough bad ones.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Id rather sign good players, but hey, that’s just me. I think we have enough bad ones.
there were no good players to sign that cheap . ecspecially good players that would help / matter long term which is all that matters as short term we want to do bad one more season because you know draft pix matter . mean while a more talented player than wiski only going to make record a little better while wiski would have put a stop to some cheap shots that would wear away at our talent / young guys (you know like zetts back got wrecked by cheap shot cross chex) and in some instances actually injure our talent guys . plus been there so mantha dont have to fight again because believe it or not theres many instances per season that rats are taking liberties and they need to be counter attacked even if its just good for the spirit of your team knowing they got somebody looking to hunt down and damage the rats . ide prefer to look out for my players / rookies health during a tanking and development season but thats just me .

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The roster structure of an NHL team is set up to have more players on your active squad than play in a single game. Just because a player isn't a great player doesn't mean they can't serve a useful purpose to a team.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
When the offseason started, I looked at
* Pavelski - 3 year contract. 2 years as 2C. 1 year as 3C. Veleno gradually moving up.
* Gardiner or Phaneuf or some other veteran LD. Gardiner as a puck mover on the leftside for 4 or 5 years. Phaneuf as maybe just a placeholder for a year until Cholowski is ready.

So, given that, I see the Filppula/Nemeth signings.
Same positions, but just different levels of talent/commitment.

The one move that gnaws at me slightly is PK Subban.
If we could have landed Subban for what amounts to Tuomisto, a 2nd, Madison Bowey and Ville Saarijarvi ... then sign me up.

1. Subban is a bonafide 1 RD. Allows Hronek to slowly move into the 1 RD role, assuming he has the chops.
2. Subban would improve the PP and zone exits and transitions.
3. And speaking more about growing hockey in Detroit, an African American hockey player of Subban's ability and charisma could really connect with Detroit in a way we haven't see from a Red Wing.

By year 3 of Subban's term, Seider joins the team. Eases in as a 3RD. Maybe we trade Subban if Hronek is ready for the 1 RD. Or maybe we sign him to finish up here.

The other thing is, maybe by year 2 or 3 of Subban, we've turned a corner. And having a 32-33 year old veteran wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Witkowski? No thanks. Bring up McIlrath as your 7D if you want toughness. He's slow, but he can actually pick passes off the boards without turning rim-arounds into 30 seconds of chasing the puck around your own zone.
Witkowski is brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad