Sidney Crosby surpassing Alexander Ovechkin in career points watch (UPD: Ovechkin ahead by 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sidney Crosby currently has 5 fewer career regular season points than Alexander Ovechkin...in 141 fewer games played.

The last time Sidney Crosby had more career points than Alexander Ovechkin was on March 1st, 2008 or more than a decade ago, when he had 285 career points to Ovechkin's 283. Crosby would go on to suffer just the first in a series of injuries in his career where he would miss significant time, suffering a high ankle sprain in which caused him to miss 28 games that season where he would never hold the career points lead again, until perhaps this season. It's pretty remarkable the points are that close with Sid missing so much time in his career.

Crosby currently has 46 points in 35 games vs Ovechkin's 45 points in 37 games. Ovechkin is on pace for 64 goals right now, you'd expect him to cool down a bit and his points will drop as more of his points come from goals.

Will Crosby finally regain the lead in points for their careers for the first time in 11 years? Will he keep this lead for rest of their careers?'

Thought it would be an interesting thing to track.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't think it really matters in terms of who's the better player. I mean, Dave Andreychuk has more points than both. Is he better than both? If you think Crosby is the better player, then he still will be with more career points than Ovechkin. If you think Ovechkin is the better player, I don't see why that would suddenly switch if/when Crosby surpasses him in points.

But still worth tracking.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Ovechkin will likely play longer and regain the lead at some point. Obviously Crosby would be ahead at the moment without some bad injury luck, but playmakers also benefit from a scoring system that arbitrarily awards up to two assists per goal.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I don't think it really matters in terms of who's the better player. I mean, Dave Andreychuk has more points than both. Is he better than both? If you think Crosby is the better player, then he still will be with more career points than Ovechkin. If you think Ovechkin is the better player, I don't see why that would suddenly switch if/when Crosby surpasses him in points.

But still worth tracking.
When two players start their careers the same season and one has 5 fewer points in 141 less games played. It’s painfully obvious who the better player is

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Ovechkin will likely play longer and regain the lead at some point. Obviously Crosby would be ahead at the moment without some bad injury luck, but playmakers also benefit from a scoring system that arbitrarily awards up to two assists per goal.

Everyone else can benefit from secondary assists too, you know. Crosby is 6th all time in points per game. That isn't a coincidence.

This is mostly brought up in the Crosby vs Ovechkin debate. When you have to resort to "let's just take away secondary assists" to make an argument, the argument sucks. The league has been scored this way for years. It's generally done a very good job of indicating the best players.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Wait do people seriously still think Ovechkin is the better of the two? It's very obviously Crosby, all you have to do to realize that is sit down and watch a couple of their games, and if you haven't done that yet then I question if you're really a hockey fan.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
What a fresh debate...

When two players start their careers the same season and one has 5 fewer points in 141 less games played. It’s painfully obvious who the better player is

Safe to assume that Adam Oates is obviously a better player than Doug Gilmour was? Allowing for a little poetic license...

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You mean a system that has existed for literally the entirety of hockey history? Lmao. Sure, it's completely arbitrary, definitely.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Not a big deal anyways, but it will somehow feel "right" when it happens. Ovechkin is the greater goal-scorer and Sid is the greater (or maybe more versatile is better word?) offensive player. It's just fitting that their career numbers will reflect that. To be completely honest, I think the vast majority of us were expecting this to happen like 4 years a go.

Will be marginally interesting to see which one ends up with higher career point count.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You mean a system that has existed for literally the entirety of hockey history? Lmao. Sure, it's completely arbitrary, definitely.

I don't agree with demeaning playmaking and assists, but the word is fitting. It's arbitrary. Why two assists and not three or one? Why automatic two assists and not evaluating the secondary assist on every play basis? I mean, I wouldn't change the system but it literally is arbitrary.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
They're both pretty good, but completely different players so the comparison really is apples and oranges. Points per games means little IMHO. Its about trophy cases--and they've both accumulated a decent amount of hardware. I like watching them both play.

Alas. In any case, it will take about ten posts for this to deteriorate into a yawn-inducing breathless fanboy debate of the same old tired stuff. Go boys:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
only on HF is being a goal scorer a secondary citizen when it comes to all time greats......

I don't think that's true. Bobby Hull is routinely (and deservedly too) ranked ahead of Mikita here. Bossy and Bure are highly touted guys. Ovechkin is universally considered as top-30 and most think of him as top-20 player all-time. Just because most don't think he's better than Sid (who probably is top-10 player all-time) doesn't mean he gets shafted here.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's not always arbitrary. Sometimes a goal straight up doesn't happen without the play of the secondary assiter.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I don't agree with demeaning playmaking and assists, but the word is fitting. It's arbitrary. Why two assists and not three or one? Why automatic two assists and not evaluating the secondary assist on every play basis? I mean, I wouldn't change the system but it literally is arbitrary.
I get the feeling that guy does not know what arbitrary means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad