News Article: Sid Writes Letters to Each Survivor of Crash

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I second this. I honestly cannot imagine what all those people are going through. My words on a message board just aren't enough. I feel so awful for anyone impacted. It just sucks.

I'm glad Sid is doing this. I hope others follow. This is going to be a long long road for anyone who lost a loved one or is trying to deal with why they made it through and others didn't. I cannot put it into words how sad it all is. Good on Sid. Good on the communities for leaving their sticks out. But nothing will turn the clocks back and change what happened. I wish we could.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hockey players are a class above athletes in other sports. Even if you hate the guys on the other team. Just hate them when they are on the ice. Off the ice they are probably good dudes - safe to bet on it.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Sid is the best thing to happen to hockey in a long time and not just because of this, because of how much class he carries himself with away from the ice.

Reactions: Goku

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Crosby has been raised right.

His parents forced him to finish high school when he moved to Rimouski. They insisted on the importance of education and, most importantly, about being humble.

There is a famous story in Rimouski about how Sid, when he was 16, bought donuts and coffee for all the people waiting in line for a chance to see him... practice. He didn't understand why people were standing in the cold to see a 16-year practice.

In Sherbrooke once, he stood outside in the rain to sign autographs for an hour at a charity tournament. Took pictures with babies, sign jerseys, etc. He took the time to shake everyone's hand and to look at them in the eyes. He could have left like other players did, he stayed, signed and interacted. I got him to sign my cap (I have Sid, Talbot, Fleury and... Esposito on it).

In Ottawa, before a playoff game, he went to the bench to tape his stick as he always does. He took the time to sign dozens of autograph... including my jersey.

And then, all the stuff you hear him do (the kid in Tremblant, these letters, etc)...

Sid just gets it. I am sure he is often annoyed, but he just gets it. He understands his place in MANY people's life and he understands the impact he can have on them.

I have nothing but love and admiration for that man. The player is awesome, the man is even better. I don't care about "personality" and stupid stuff like that. The man has character and class and THAT matters. Give 1 Sidney Crosby ahead of 20 self-promoting jerks like Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Conor McGregor. Sid is the definition of a role model.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
What a guy. RIP to all those lost, what a sad and awful thing. These letters won't fix what's happened but hopefully it'll pick the boy's spirits up a bit.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Good guy Sidney Crosby. Hell of a thing to have happened. My heart goes out to all of those folks.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I never take for granted that the ambassador to the game and to the Penguins is one of the best people on the planet in Sidney Crosby. The guy is just an amazing human being that is still very well grounded as a young man. He gives back so much of his time to his community and to anyone else whenever he can.

People can hate him on the ice all they want, but if they tell me they think he's a terrible person, to that person I say "No, you're the f***ing horrible person."

I've been seeing the tragedy here a lot, I remember the rides to the games back in the Burgh as a kid, man just thinking about the "what if" and the heartache...the support is nice to see, I hope for a brief moment, it takes them away from the situation and lets them just feel the love from everyone and support.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
When I hear things like this that hes done it never ceases to amaze me. He is such a classy guy and a great role model.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The Captain of the team who perished was a Pens fan:

e0f8569c3be25825326ab8023ebc3c86.png

More here: ‘He was comfortable here’: Host family remembers Humboldt Broncos captain

Sid gave away his hat trick stick too:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sid's one of the all-time greatest ever to play the game of hockey--legitimately top-5. He very well might be an even better person off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad