Sid & Geno both never dominate together in the same season...

ObsessedCreative*

I know this is a bit of knitpicking on Sid & Geno and believe me for the 20 years or so I have been a penguins fan, I know that we are by far one of the most spoiled franchises ever with all the generational superstar talent we have had / have.

Does anyone else find it kind of frustrating that Sid & Geno can never BOTH seem to come together in the same season and both be dominate players?

It seems that each of the takes the lead from one anothet one year after another ( I know injuries have played a big part of this issue ), but we have never seen them both be an unstoppable dominate force on the ice in the same season together like we have seen with Lemieux & Jagr in 95-96?! Kinda sucks we have never seen both with 100+ point seasons in the same year.

One year one of them is hurt or in a funk and the other is flying, but both have really never been in God mode together on the same season?! I suppose some of this has to be because of line mates or lack there of, but still kind of weird to think about...

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
08-09

Malkin: 113 points
Crosby: 103 points

Funny what else happened that year ;)

But yeah besides that season they haven't really torn it up together for an extended period that I can remember.

ObsessedCreative*

08-09

But yeah besides that season they haven't really torn it up together for an extended period that I can remember.
Oh crap my bad... Forgot Sid had 100+ that year!

But still with all the years they have been on the same team there has been more years of them trading dominate years that both always having season like that.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
08-09

06-07

Crosby: 120 points
Malkin: 85

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
08-09

The thing is that that was, all things considered (that he was no longer a rookie and didn't have any major injuries), easily Sid's worst professional season. So by Sid's standards, he didn't really "dominate".

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
They were both the two best forwards during the 2009 playoffs, when it really mattered, and when they won the Stanley Cup. To me, that is the biggest and most telling truth about this situation.

/thread

Anyone disagree?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It is one of those 'truisms' that people throw out there as if there is some deep underlying reason. Just coincidence, mostly injury.

But right now from a stat persepective it is pretty amazing to be a Pens' fan.

ASSISTS:
THREE of four on top of the assist list are Pens, and number two on the list is a defenseman.

GOALS:
The Pens have the top two goal scorers in the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/statshome.htm

If you love watching offense, you have seen quite a show. If only we had Iggy, right? Heh.

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
It was that season that set his standard. One of the best rookie seasons you'll see.

Yeah, it's not like 2 guys had 100 points rookie seasons the year just bef-
oh.... wait.

But yeah, 2009. Best recent year to be a pens fan.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I think we will see it this spring. Geno is getting his nagging injuries out of the way and come playoff time, these 2 seem poised to put on a show.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm almost happy that it happens that way because every moron in the media turns it into an excuse when the time to vote for the Hart comes.

Dah... "Sid plays with Geno so I'm going to vote for one of the Corky brothers... FRANKS and BEANS"

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
There haven't been enough years when they're both healthy, with a decent compliment of wingers, to discern any legitimate pattern. The only pattern I notice is that the Power Play suffers more when Geno is out vs. when Sid is out. The man advantage is more dynamic when Geno is his favorite spot, running things from there.

I truly think we're foolish (when they're healthy) to put them both out there. Should be 1 minute each.

Geno, Neal, Bennett, Letang, Cooke

Sid, Kunitz, Sutter, Martin, Dupuis

Would make us much tougher to PK against.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
There haven't been enough years when they're both healthy, with a decent compliment of wingers, to discern any legitimate pattern. The only pattern I notice is that the Power Play suffers more when Geno is out vs. when Sid is out. The man advantage is more dynamic when Geno is his favorite spot, running things from there.

I truly think we're foolish (when they're healthy) to put them both out there. Should be 1 minute each.

Agreed and it's in the post season I want to see that, especially say if we play a team like Boston that can only match with Chara. Play them a shift together then one stays out there double shifting while the linemates come on and the next line change the other line gets back on. Chrara would be burned after 10 minutes

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Not disagreeing with the premise, but think you need to put at least one true, great one-timer on the Sid line. You have 2 (or 3, depending on what you think of Bennett) on the Geno unit, and 4 mucker/grinders and Martin on the Sid unit.

Max Talbot

Oct 22, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not disagreeing with the premise, but think you need to put at least one true, great one-timer on the Sid line. You have 2 (or 3, depending on what you think of Bennett) on the Geno unit, and 4 mucker/grinders and Martin on the Sid unit.

Exactly, glad someone thought this through. Sids unit looks terrible, whos gonna snipe on that PP? Dupuis? No thanks on that whole premise. Cooke on the PP? No thanks. Why mess with the PP this is the best it has looked in awhile. And come playoff time that first unit will play 1:30 to the whole 2 mins of every powerplay and thats the way it should be.

My dream PP would be 5 forwards like the Kovalev and Straka days. Heck even Colorados been using a 5 forward PP recently. Beau on the left side, Neal on the right, Kuni in front of the net, Malkin sniping, Sid Qb. And all 5 of those guys are responsible enough defensively that I think we can get away with it. It would at least be fun.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Exactly, glad someone thought this through. Sids unit looks terrible, whos gonna snipe on that PP? Dupuis? No thanks on that whole premise. Cooke on the PP? No thanks. Why mess with the PP this is the best it has looked in awhile. And come playoff time that first unit will play 1:30 to the whole 2 mins of every powerplay and thats the way it should be.

My dream PP would be 5 forwards like the Kovalev and Straka days. Heck even Colorados been using a 5 forward PP recently. Beau on the left side, Neal on the right, Kuni in front of the net, Malkin sniping, Sid Qb. And all 5 of those guys are responsible enough defensively that I think we can get away with it. It would at least be fun.

Cooke is out there as the net-front guy, filling the Kunitz hole.

I would put one of Malkin/Neal and Bennett on a line and go dueling 1-timers, and then have Crosby, Neal/Malkin, Kunitz and Letang on the 2nd one, IF I were going to split them up.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Are you including Geno in the 2 with great one timers, to go along with Neal? Because Letang doesn't have a great or even good/decent one timer, and never has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad