Rumor: SI reports possible Phil Kessel to Isles

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
According to the nhl numbers site. I think this is the last season.

For some reason, they don't have DiPietro's $1.5m listed.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/NYI?year=2015

Because, Dipietro was one of the "exceptional buyouts" that teams were allowed post 2012-2013 lockout. So While the Isles are paying him. He is no way, shape or form counted against any cap hits. Now and or in the future.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Because, Dipietro was one of the "exceptional buyouts" that teams were allowed post 2012-2013 lockout. So While the Isles are paying him. He is no way, shape or form counted against any cap hits. Now and or in the future.

That's right. The is for clearing that up.

BroadwayJay*

If Snow had the greenlight to add an $8m winger, he would not be hiding that info:shakehead

Three points on that:

(1) He's not "hiding" that info. He has repeatedly said he has no internal cap.

(2) He does, and did, have the greenlight to add an 8m dollar winger when he offered Thomas Vanek 7 years at 8 million.

(3) Screaming from the rooftops "hey I've got money!!!" is never good policy. However, as we know, our management team is extremely secretive, which is why nothing is ever leaked by them. Ever.

BroadwayJay*

Correct, but they do still have to pay him.

If anything, that should be viewed as further evidence that Snow is truthful when he says he has no internal cap. If they wanted to be just above the floor forever, that cap hit would be a nice addition to assist them in remaining above the floor. Instead, they ejected it.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Isles have only three defensemen signed for next year (and one is Strait). This is not the time to be acquiring $8M forwards, especially ones that don't help those defensemen.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
8 mill is a show stopper

If we trade for him. Leafs are getting maybe Czuzman and a 3rd.

Whoever trades for Kessel will not be giving up the bank due to the crappy contract.

How we easily forget that when Vancouver tried (initially) to trade Luongo...The Leafs said..."ok, we will take that contract, but we are not sending anything your way". The Leafs didn't even want to send the nucks a 7th for Luongo...they thought that taking the stupid contract was enough..and TBH...it is.

This is why I think the Leafs (if they have it available) will buy out 2 of Kessel, Clarkson and or Phaneuf contracts. It's just impossible to trade those players.

Every other team, BUT the Leafs are in the driver's seat when it comes to trade talks.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The people on this board with your obsession with our prospects is terrifying. Everyone we draft is a lock for the HOF, we just need to develop them until the age of 23.

Question: What is the core of this club?
Answer: Prospects we drafted and developed.

Obsession? No, just facts and what most good clubs are composed of. And those FAs used to fill in the gaps, guess what? They too were drafted at one time - were once someone else's prospects.

Some of you guys crapping on prospects and picks... it's like you forgot that the chickens all started off as little eggs once. All of them.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
8 mill is a show stopper

Whoever trades for Kessel will not be giving up the bank due to the crappy contract.

How we easily forget that when Vancouver tried (initially) to trade Luongo...The Leafs said..."ok, we will take that contract, but we are not sending anything your way". The Leafs didn't even want to send the nucks a 7th for Luongo...they thought that taking the stupid contract was enough..and TBH...it is.

This is why I think the Leafs (if they have it available) will buy out 2 of Kessel, Clarkson and or Phaneuf contracts. It's just impossible to trade those players.

Every other team, BUT the Leafs are in the driver's seat when it comes to trade talks.

I don't get this perception of Kessel's contract. His contract is perfectly reasonable given (1) his age when he signed it; (2) his production before and after he signed it; and (3) the direction the market went after he signed the deal.

There's a lot of reasons why getting Kessel wouldn't be a great move for us. His contract isn't really one of them. I think a lot of perceptions here are warped by the fact that Tavares signed a well below market value contract when he still had RFA years to buy out.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
The people on this board with your obsession with our prospects is terrifying. Everyone we draft is a lock for the HOF, we just need to develop them until the age of 23.

You're suggesting we gut the team so we can MAYBE win the Cup in the next 2-3 years. What happens after that then? We're a mediocre team and the laughing stock of the NHL again? On top of that we'd have bad contracts to deal with, something we don't have now.

Do you not understand how many players on this team we drafted and developed?

Tavares
Okposo
Bailey
Lee
Strome
Nelson
Nielsen
Martin
Cizikas
Hamonic
de Haan

That's nearly half the starting roster. To suggest prospects are useless and we're better off getting rid of them is ridiculous. We have one of the best forward prospects in hockey who is dominating juniors and is the perfect type of player for the first line. We also have two great defensive prospects who both have top 4 potential and at worst could be bottom pairing players. Why throw that all away for a 2 year run?

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Unless He Is A PK Master and can Win 75% of all faceoffs...
At $8 Million?
NO THANKS....
Let The Maple Creeps eat that contract!!!!!!!

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
If anything, that should be viewed as further evidence that Snow is truthful when he says he has no internal cap. If they wanted to be just above the floor forever, that cap hit would be a nice addition to assist them in remaining above the floor. Instead, they ejected it.

The truth is, Wang said himself that there were financial restrictions. Unbelievable to forget that. This was important because Wang showed the world that Snow is a Liar. Of course that was some time ago. Then Wang wanted to sell the team. People who buy a team want to win. How would it look like if they need to carry a 1.5M cap hit against the cap till eternity for nothing. How old are you that you can't understand that. Snow and truthful ... I wonder what you had in your coffee today.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
The truth is, Wang said himself that there were financial restrictions. Unbelievable to forget that. This was important because Wang showed the world that Snow is a Liar. Of course that was some time ago. Then Wang wanted to sell the team. People who buy a team want to win. How would it look like if they need to carry a 1.5M cap hit against the cap till eternity for nothing. How old are you that you can't understand that. Snow and truthful ... I wonder what you had in your coffee today.

Yes. Snow is a liar for not throwing his boss under the bus :shakehead

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Question: What is the core of this club?
Answer: Prospects we drafted and developed.

Obsession? No, just facts and what most good clubs are composed of. And those FAs used to fill in the gaps, guess what? They too were drafted at one time - were once someone else's prospects.

Some of you guys crapping on prospects and picks... it's like you forgot that the chickens all started off as little eggs once. All of them.

Well-said. The blue chippers especially we should really try and hold onto unless another team wants to blow us away with an offer.

Trading prospects for short-term gain is a Milburyesque move. Obviously you consider any trade that comes across your desk, but we have a pretty good track record when it comes to our prospects succeeding in the NHL, so keep our young depth and continue to be the envy of other teams who'd love having Strome, Pulock, Dal Colle, etc in their systems.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Well-said. The blue chippers especially we should really try and hold onto unless another team wants to blow us away with an offer.

Trading prospects for short-term gain is a Milburyesque move. Obviously you consider any trade that comes across your desk, but we have a pretty good track record when it comes to our prospects succeeding in the NHL, so keep our young depth and continue to be the envy of other teams who'd love having Strome, Pulock, Dal Colle, etc in their systems.

Some people just don't get it. We've traded a number of players WAY before their prime. Bertuzzi, McCabe, Luongo, Jokinen, Spezza, Zdeno ****IN Chara. Those moves kept us in the trenches for years and our money tied up with the Yashins of the world. Anyone in a rush to trade our prospects for 8M Phil Kessel is delusional.

The Suit*

8 mill is a show stopper

I thought the Leaf fans trade proposals were bad but this is a whole new level. Get real.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Yes. Snow is a liar for not throwing his boss under the bus :shakehead

If there is a budget you need to manage your budget better. Snow couldn't do that. And now, when you can believe that there are not the same financial restrictions like before, Snow still keeps this coaching staff. Even more, Snow hired another former buddy from Mainethal for this season. Same old story, should have managed the budget better. Result, they will go nowhere. Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
not that I would mind adding Kessel but he does not seem like the type of player the Isles need right now. Id rather a defenseman or a highly respected grizzled vet with playoff experience.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't get this perception of Kessel's contract. His contract is perfectly reasonable given (1) his age when he signed it; (2) his production before and after he signed it; and (3) the direction the market went after he signed the deal.

There's a lot of reasons why getting Kessel wouldn't be a great move for us. His contract isn't really one of them. I think a lot of perceptions here are warped by the fact that Tavares signed a well below market value contract when he still had RFA years to buy out.

Tavares contract has nothing to do with whether the isles want Kessel.
Cappy has said in interviews that it makes the coaches job easier when a team's best player, is also it's hardest working player.

How much has Kessel made the Toronto coaches job harder, with his lazy work ethic?

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/09/22/phil-kessel-alex-ovechkin-image-problems
That's why it's so shocking when a player thumbs his nose at expectations as explicitly as Phil Kessel did last week. Without being specifically prompted, the Maple Leafs sniper told the Toronto media, “Honestly, I skated maybe ... I don’t want to tell you this, but I skated 10 times maybe all summer.†He was also at the center of an odd report in which assistant coach Steve Spott told a coaches clinic in August that Kessel had refused to participate in a new breakout play that Spott had designed and is, in the coach's estimation "15 pounds overweight."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...slanders-prepare-home-stand-article-1.2109281
Phil Kessel to the Islanders? Don't count on it as team begins long homestand
rumors have swirled as to whether or not the Isles will look to acquire a forward to take the place of Kyle Okposo, who will be out at least another month with an eye injury. Leafs star Phil Kessel — 21 goals, 26 assists this season, but just two goals and two assists in all of January — has been mentioned as being L.I.-bound, but seems to be an unlikely candidate for GM Garth Snow to pursue.

The winger commands a $8 million cap hit per season before his contract expires in 2022 and is a very streaky player with conditioning issues.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
not that I would mind adding Kessel but he does not seem like the type of player the Isles need right now. Id rather a defenseman or a highly respected grizzled vet with playoff experience.

agreed. He's more of a final piece to the puzzle guy.

BroadwayJay*

I'm 33 (soon to be 34!). But I don't like to make assumptions based on conjectures and tie them together with my own disbelief.

I trust what people say. I take them at face value.

Our team is 5m off the cap. That's not "internal budget" territory hamstringing us. It is just smart cap management.

Let us also not forget that we have new owners and a new, more profitable, building lease.

I'm not going to ask your age in an effort to insult you, but I will ask that you be a little more respectful. I know your style is to be incredulous when other people don't just believe you with all the tenuous connections you like to make and treat as fact, but it is really unnecessary. Just state your case, listen to others, and respond. No need to act like this.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I thought the Leaf fans trade proposals were bad but this is a whole new level. Get real.

:laugh:

Sure the Leafs will do better then a solid prospect and a 3rd.

But, I don't think the Leafs are getting the big haul that some leaf fans are predicting.
Kessel has a partial NTC, so he controls where he goes with only 8 teams on his list. How many of those 8 teams have the budget or cap space to add an $8m winger? How many of those teams are willing to give up significant, young assets?

I saw the report that FL is interested, but balking at giving up one of their young studs. Leafs fans have been posting proposals including 2-3 young studs.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Isles have only three defensemen signed for next year (and one is Strait). This is not the time to be acquiring $8M forwards, especially ones that don't help those defensemen.

Couldn't agree more. This team needs help keeping pucks out, not putting them in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad