SI.com: Tennis the most demanding sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staalweiser

Apr 3, 2005
Aus.
watch a rugby game, then tell me what sport is the most demanding

Pfff, Rugby. I can sum up Rugby very quickly - a bunch of gorillas trying to stop each other JUMPING OVER A LINE. Here in Australia, Rugby and Australian Rules Football are out two main winter sports, with Aussie Rules far more superior. Why? It has the physicality of Rugby coupled with better skill (and running up and down a larger playing field for 100+ minutes). Most of you guys won't know what I'm talking about, but I implore you to watch some Aussie Rules if you get the chance.

And I'm not buying one bit of this "tennis has a steep learning curve". A lot of sports have a steep learning curve where it takes years to perfect skills.

Hockeyfan_86

Nov 26, 2003
tennis?? please.

Hockey...nope, but its the best game anyways :yo:

I think boxing is probably the most taxing physically.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Guy Legend said:
What an idiot, he didn't even mention hockey.

As I see it, there's no other sport where talent and physicality come together.

Running around a square with a racket hitting a ball doesn't sound as "demanding" as skating, stickhandling, hitting, etc. over an entire ice rink.

It' SI. They almost never say anything about hockey. Having played both sports at a fairly high level, I always found hockey to be a lot harder than tennis (that said, it wasn't at such a high level that anyone was serving a ball 160+ mph at me). Physically, hockey was just more grueling. That said, I don't think hockey is the toughest. I'd have to guess boxing. I mean, most fights on the ice don't last longer than 35 seconds because they're so draining. Can you imagine going three minutes TWELVE times instead?

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
JeremieLepine19 said:
Pfff, Rugby. I can sum up Rugby very quickly - a bunch of gorillas trying to stop each other JUMPING OVER A LINE. Here in Australia, Rugby and Australian Rules Football are out two main winter sports, with Aussie Rules far more superior. Why? It has the physicality of Rugby coupled with better skill (and running up and down a larger playing field for 100+ minutes). Most of you guys won't know what I'm talking about, but I implore you to watch some Aussie Rules if you get the chance.

And I'm not buying one bit of this "tennis has a steep learning curve". A lot of sports have a steep learning curve where it takes years to perfect skills.

Yeah, but in Aussie Rules you have a strict separation of positions like in soccer, don't you. You don't have to be by the ball all the time like in rugby. Plus, you can often kick from like 50m out.

I am sure it is still a fun sport, but what's up with the uniform?

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Qui Gon Dave said:
You are out there on your own and you have to have incredible focus if you are going to outplay someone who is better than you for 2 1/2 hours.

Try 5 hours!!! Yes, some grand slam matches have gone that long...and esp. if this 5 hours was spent on a red clay court as opposed to even hardtru clay, then this is definitely grusome.

But it doesn't end there. If you're in the slam, you have to play again in two days or even the very next day for another potential 5 hours...and then again and then again and then again until you finally win it all. And then you board a bus or plane and then start it all over again on Monday or the Monday after that...phew!

This is a lot of punishment on the body since there really is no off season in tennis and you have to play practically the whole year with some time off at Christmas.

Having said all that, I am not defending the argument that tennis is the toughest sport but that the grind can be extremely, extremely tough on the body and on your mind if you are making a living at it at a fringe level like this guy did since you can't pick and choose your tournaments since you only get paid when you play (and rather paltry pay too when you're not at the top level).

It's a tough way to make a living for sure.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
from the sports I've played, physically the toughest sport has been soccer for me (never played waterpolo, so can't comment on it).... constant running - non stop... if you're playing at a competitive level, and you stop moving, you're hurting your team... you need to be a top physical shape to play soccer at a high level.... I never played at a high level, but even at the highschool level (where I only played during my sophomore year, and even that, it only lasted a few months), it was pretty demanding overall.

I started playing tennis at 6. Played in a lot of tournaments, and today (at over 30) still play from time to time casually.... tennis is definitely a physically demanding game... the comments in this thread about it being easy - well so is hockey if you're playing pond hockey with a bunch of buddies with no serious competition.

Playing tennis competitively requires good physical conditioning... lots of side to side and back and forth movement.... I've had shoulder problems, knee problems and experienced mental exhaustion a lot. It's a chess game out there, and every point makes you think what to do next, what your opponent is going to do, what you can do to throw your opponent off their game, what your opponent will throw at you next.

And these thoughts are different at every stage of the game. When you start a game, the thinking process is different... when it's 30-0 it's different, when it's 15-40, or 15-30, or deuce, it's all different.

Throw in playing a 2hr + match, and sometime longer than 3 or even 4 hrs, to all that, and it gets even harder... you're waiting for a serve trying to watch how your opponent will toss his serve, to see what kind of swing he will take, which tells you where the ball could land, and the pace behind it... then you have to worry about putting it in a place where they won't simply win the point with an easy winner.... when you're serving the thoughts are reversed - hit the corner of the box, with a certain spin - and not too much spin so you can still get the pace - and then try and predict the returners thought pattern of where they will put the ball.

There is a HUGE mental game involved in tennis. And that mental part alone takes a physical toll on you.... you don't have a bench to go to, where your coach can tell you what to do... you have to figure that out from figuring out how your opponent themselves think on the court.

most people here seem to really underrate the demand the sport has overall. I've played hockey as well... and while I'm a much bigger hockey fan than I am a tennis fan, I would say that 1 competitive tennis match takes more toll on a person overall - all things considered - than 1 full hockey game does... and in most tournaments you're playing every day for a couple weeks before you get your first break... and that doesn't include practicing after the games, for the next match.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
I've played tennis recreationally since I was a little kid.. I started playing hockey recreationally about 3 years ago.. I still enjoy both..

But without a doubt, at a recreational level, hockey is far more difficult. Tennis does require skill, fitness, and mental aptitude to play well. However in my mind hockey requires all of those things and to a higher degree..

In fact, the two sports have quite a bit in common. A recent article in USA Hockey magazine reccomended tennis as one of the best off-season sports for aspiring hockey players. They both require sprint/stop type movement. They both require hand/eye coordination, they both require good hands, and they both require good footwork..

When I first started playing hockey, I immediately had a nice, accurate, elevated wrist shot with decent pace. I credit this to my tennins experience. The weight shift and wrist action of a topspin forehand in tennis is remarkably similar to a wrist shot in hockey..

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
How are they juding this this? I don't think tennis compares but I have to know the standards. for pur pysicall punishment I would go with hockey, football is more pysical but way less games. as far as banging up your body I would take hockey. Notable mention I think would actually be baseball, I know people laugh somtimes and don't think it is a sport but jsut the pure number of games, u play 162, then say it isn't a sport.

As for mental, I would have to say CAr racing. I just think so much concentration must go into it, I mean one wrong move and your hanicap or dead.

Dogbert*

I can see that. Tennis players can end up playing for three or four hours at a time.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
okgooil said:
How are they juding this this? I don't think tennis compares but I have to know the standards. for pur pysicall punishment I would go with hockey, football is more pysical but way less games. as far as banging up your body I would take hockey. Notable mention I think would actually be baseball, I know people laugh somtimes and don't think it is a sport but jsut the pure number of games, u play 162, then say it isn't a sport.

As for mental, I would have to say CAr racing. I just think so much concentration must go into it, I mean one wrong move and your hanicap or dead.

The thing about tennis is that they have quite a few stoppages and same with hockey. Soccer on the other hand is 2 45 min halfs of non-stop running. The reason I don't consider baseball a sport is because there is little running and players that are 40+ dominate like Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds.

The Joker*

I'm not sure if anyone here has ever wrestled. But wrestling is far and above the most physically demanding sport (along with boxing). Try wrestling a 6 minute match, it's easier to play a full basketball game or soccer game or hockey game than to wrestle a short match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad