News Article: SI.com NHL Fan misery rankings - Sabres # 3

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Somewhat comical take on the "fan suffering" angle of NHL franchises:

Sometimes it’s just plain awful to be a fan.

We’re not talking about the occasional emotional bump and bruise, the kind fans get from a devastating last-second loss or a disastrous season-ending injury — or even when they watch their favorite team bow out in the conference finals, one round shy of a shot at the Stanley Cup. We mean years of suffering at the hands of a club that almost seems to delight in tormenting those who freely give to it their hearts, minds, time and money.

http://nhl.si.com/2014/03/21/si-com-nhl-fan-misery-rankings-no-3-buffalo-sabres/

Curious on the rankings, relative to the teams previously profiled below the Sabres on their top 10 list. I'd guess the Islanders (despite their 4 Cups) and Leafs will be coming up in the final two.....

Karate Johnson*

While there has been plenty of disappointment I have never been more confident in the Sabres. Pegula, for all his flaws, is really the best thing to happen to this team. I believe they will complete this rebuild, an be a top 10 team for a decade after. There is no doubt that when we are competitive we will do all we can to win.

That's all you can ask for.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
While there has been plenty of disappointment I have never been more confident in the Sabres. Pegula, for all his flaws, is really the best thing to happen to this team. I believe they will complete this rebuild, an be a top 10 team for a decade after. There is no doubt that when we are competitive we will do all we can to win.

That's all you can ask for.

As they say, 'hope springs eternal' - and, if nothing else, the article is fair in characterizing the Sabres' present state as having hit rock-bottom. From here, they can only go up ;)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So who are 2 and 1 gonna be? Islanders? I mean, they had one of the best runs over X years of any team in NA pro sports, but if we're talking recent history it's been horrible. Maybe the Leafs are one of the two spots just because?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I feel a member of this board wrote this article.

If that were true, the Sabres would be ranked # 1 on the suffering list. ;)

Curious on the rankings, relative to the teams previously profiled below the Sabres on their top 10 list. I'd guess the Islanders (despite their 4 Cups) and Leafs will be coming up in the final two.....

So who are 2 and 1 gonna be? Islanders? I mean, they had one of the best runs over X years of any team in NA pro sports, but if we're talking recent history it's been horrible. Maybe the Leafs are one of the two spots just because?

Those two were my guesses - like you noted, more for how those teams have fared for the past 26 years, than all-time. The article mentions Horton's death but all of the other examples on the Sabres were from 1989 and beyond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad