SI.COM article: NHL needs to reexamine its alliance with Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
helicecopter said:
So….what?
For what we can know numbers would have been even worse without Olympics and WC..

From 1995 through 2004 the NHL product on the ice has been sucking, that’s the first reason for the bad spiralling.

Another good reason could be their pathetic marketing program..

Everyone (unbiased) really thinking that taking part at the Olympics is not going to help the NHL in the long terms must be really shortsighted.

The point is to do it properly. Cause if you make the best players play 120 games in 240 days they are going to be too tired to show how good they are when the casual observer is watching. That’s’ a valid point for the NHL alone, too.

Example: suppose i am not an hockey fan and I am going to watch a game at the Olympics cause someone told me the bests in the world are going to be there.
That night the big stars are playing their 4th game in 5 days along which they had to recover from the jet leg too.. and that after playing a lot of NHL games in the few days before. Potential result: the stars are exhausted and they suck, so I come away from the game thinking “ Yes, this new (for me) game is funny but, are these the best players of the NHL? Not a big deal..â€

How about this …… viewership for Turin is down 36-percent compared to Salt Lake and 22-percent compared to Nagano …….. how does that help the NHL?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
HockeyCritter said:
How about this …… viewership for Turin is down 36-percent compared to Salt Lake and 22-percent compared to Nagano …….. how does that help the NHL?
Without NHL in Torino viewership of NHLers would be down 100-percent.

btw, those figures are North American? Cause i think that would make them meaningful considering the timing of games played in Torino comparing with when they were played in SLC. :sarcasm:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
DownFromNJ said:
I'm sorry, but there is just something about professional athletes competing not for reward but for country that supercedes business concerns to me. If I am a professional athlete, the greatest pride in my life would not be to win a Stanley Cup or sink a 100 million dollar contract, but to put on the "USA" on the front of my chest.

Good luck winning a CBA battle on this one. Because if I am a player, this issue is damn well more important than increasing the salary cap. If I am an athlete, I'd give up a few extra million dollars on my contract just for the opportunity to play for the United States of America.

Here here, I agree. Money is not everything contrary to popular belief.

A Good Flying Bird*

Garbs said:
Oh please, it happens once every four years. What kind of ******** is this? If your organization is in such bad shape that a two week period in February is that crucial in keeping it financially stable, then your city shouldn't have a professional hockey team.

From what I've been reading on various boards, I'd say about 80 percent of in favor of taking the NHL from the games are American.

Maybe it's because the US team hasn't been awesome so far. Or maybe it's because Americans still don't have any nationalistic feelings about hockey,

I dunno.

But more than anyone, Americans gripe about it.
Although, i expect sens fans to start griping soon.

Phanuthier*

HockeyCritter said:
The IOC was the driving force this time …….and Vancouver pitching a fit.
If the IOC and Vancouver is driving it, great.

If the NHL participates in it, great. But I don't see the NHL bending over and accomidating the Olympics needs (like this thread is to suggest). If we got healthy players, they'll get to go. If they're injured, they're not going to play.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Okay, there seems to be some solidified disagreement on the Olympics issue..
However, can we all agree that at the very least the NHL and IIHF arn't doing enough to grow the game of hockey world wide?

Especially if the NHL can get back on better financial footing, a major priority should be trying to help grow the popularity of the game internationally, and so also grow the talent pool from which to draft (and have players from a larger number of countries than ever before).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad