Shout out to girls hockey

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I coached womens hockey for six years at the University of Colorado. It's great to see the sport growing! :handclap:

goalie_power

Oct 22, 2006
the bronx
i wanted to play in university but the teams arnt as big over here to get women's scholarships.... thats awsome that u coached tho!!:handclap:

hckyguy14

My sister played for Salve Regina, a couple of division 1 teams wanted her, but she she really wanted to go to Salve. She set a bunch of records there. She is a phenomenal goalie.

She's practiced with the Roenick brothers and a couple other NHL players as well.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
I just picked hockey up this spring and have been playing pickup (roller) with a pretty big group of guys. But I heard about a local rink with women's open hockey and started playing with them once a week as well. Last night I subbed for their goalie in one of their league games and now I want to join the league too. So, I don't play at the high levels as you all do, but I love every minute of it! (The league is actually mostly men, but this team is mostly women).

Emmy Cate

Oct 2, 2006
Trenton, ON
www.myspace.com
I'm playing my 3rd year of high school hockey, I play center/left winger. I'm definatly not made for defense, where I played once and we lost horribly. I also do plan to play when I go to university.

My nickname is also penalty box ;)

FlyingOctopi

Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
I used to play, but it got to the point where I was just too small (there weren't any girls only leagues around here until recently). Now I ref so I can stay involved in the game.

RJ8812*

I used to have to play against the girls team here. It was their AA team, and there werent any more AA girls teams around this area, so they had to play in the AA guys division, but they were an age group older then us. Still didnt matter though, we'ed destroy them, 16-0, 14-2, etc etc...

i hated playing against girls, cause they'd come in our league, and we'ed have to play by their rules, couldnt hit them, but they'd always hit us and always get away with it. Everytime you'd touch them, we'ed get a penalty, and they would get away with everything, sticks between the legs, cross-checking, and especially slashing

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I used to have to play against the girls team here. It was their AA team, and there werent any more AA girls teams around this area, so they had to play in the AA guys division, but they were an age group older then us. Still didnt matter though, we'ed destroy them, 16-0, 14-2, etc etc...

i hated playing against girls, cause they'd come in our league, and we'ed have to play by their rules, couldnt hit them, but they'd always hit us and always get away with it. Everytime you'd touch them, we'ed get a penalty, and they would get away with everything, sticks between the legs, cross-checking, and especially slashing

Girls are MUCH dirtier than guys. (for the most part) Because there is no bodychecking its all stickwork and it gets really bad.

Last game I took a nice spear in the midsection and then a nice slash across the back of the legs.

On my guys team, sure I get belted every once in a while (usually for holding onto the puck too long, I'm used to carrying it a lot) but they aren't usually dirty. Though I did get an elbow in the earhole last week. Thank God I wear a mouthguard because I was knocked out cold. But hey, I have a thick skull.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
Girls are MUCH dirtier than guys. (for the most part) Because there is no bodychecking its all stickwork and it gets really bad.

Forgive the newbie question, but why is it that there is no bodychecking in womens' leagues but there is in mens'? I could see why there might not be any in a co-ed situation given the possible size differential (I'm talking in real general terms), but why not if it's all women?

PS glad you didn't get hurt with that elbow to the head!

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
womens hockey is a disgrace. i reffed a womens tourney this weekend and some girl got elbowed in the head, and she responded by swinging her stick at the girls head. she got suspended from the tournament. another girl called and demanded a girl get kicked out for tapping her from behind. and there was a fatty who kept running ppl over but i thought it was funny.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
womens hockey is a disgrace. i reffed a womens tourney this weekend and some girl got elbowed in the head, and she responded by swinging her stick at the girls head. she got suspended from the tournament. another girl called and demanded a girl get kicked out for tapping her from behind. and there was a fatty who kept running ppl over but i thought it was funny.

Hmmm this doesn't sound much different than some of the antics you've described happening in your games in other threads.

And I'm sure every male player is svelt and toned.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico

Okay, I don't know what kind of league you're reffing, but I have been on the ice with true beginners and on the ice with members of the Olympic team. NEVER have I seen any player act the way you're describing.

First off, sure I try to see how much I can get away with and sometimes our games have gotten out of hand (like full body checking) but that is because the REF isn't doing his/her job.

I said girls tend to be dirtier, as in hooking, tripping, hand slashing ect but not freaking psychos.

- Goalie Gal, I'm not sure why there isn't checking in women's hockey, there just never has been.
I just have to make sure I wear a mouthguard, I've had a few concussions before so I have to be careful. ;)

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
it was moreso the american girls going crazy than the canadians tho. this wasn't a very competetive tournament.

id like to see girls hockey get a little more competetive. i dont think anyones forgot the shellackings canada's womens team have put on other teams at the olympics. it seems like all they hafta do it show up to get the gold, which is ridiculous because women's hockey just isn't out there. like common, the US olympic team got beat by a high school boys team from Minnesota.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
And the Canadian's women's team lost to a Medicine Hat Midget team. Big deal.

Have you ever heard of the NWHL? Its as competitve as you can get. Trust me, its competitve.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Considering that mac-sniper has already proven that he thinks he's better than all of the male hockey players on HFBoards, it's not really surprising that he feels the same way about the women hockey players here.

At least you're consistent, mac-sniper! :clap: :sarcasm:

Niftygrl16

Dec 20, 2006
Rhode Island
Hey ladies!

New here and I was reading up on some old threads and came across this one. I've been playing for 5 years now and playing year round for 3. Best sport I've ever played!!!

Just want to comment on a few of the things already said:

Ti-Girl........I agree totally on your comment about women's hockey being "dirtier." Especially with the lower levels because when your skill level is such that you can't keep up with the other team, the only options you have are to trip, hold, hook. Also, women are just nastier in general from my experience. Everything gets too personal when it should be about the game. If something happens on the ice with guys, they go in the parking lot and laugh about it over beers (well, most of the time!) but women will hold a grudge. Just my experience.

Mac-Sniper.......I've seen some pretty dirty play out there (one of our games ended in a brawl) but it's wrong to generalize it to the women's game. I know you are just stating what you saw, but it's not limited to the women's leagues.

About checking in women's leagues......I think it should depend on the level of play. If it's lower level hockey, then no way because there are control issues and also that if women want to get into the sport, most won't stick it out if they are getting pounded. I've been an athlete all my life and am not a wimp by any stretch, but the fact is that women ARE different from men.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
NO WAY????!!!! So sorry to hear that!!

What is your injury and how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm 23.

I tend to play with "an edge" and I went in and made a nice move through the defenseman's legs (I'm a defenseman too) but she tripped me up and we both went down. We knee on knee and when she rolled she caught my leg and twisted it.

Seperated my shoulder two weeks ago and now this. I'm a walking injury.

Niftygrl16

Dec 20, 2006
Rhode Island
I'm 23.

I tend to play with "an edge" and I went in and made a nice move through the defenseman's legs (I'm a defenseman too) but she tripped me up and we both went down. We knee on knee and when she rolled she caught my leg and twisted it.

Seperated my shoulder two weeks ago and now this. I'm a walking injury.

Are they going to have to do an MRI or is it more of a bad sprain? I just feel your pain because I shredded my ACL and had to have it reconstructed.....WHICH SUCKED! Hope it's nothing like that.

You are on a bad stretch! But those things happen when you play hard. Not fun, but par for the course.

Good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad