Shouldn't Yanni Gourde be a Calder Nominee?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Never hear much about this guy.

He has four pts less then Boeser, doesen't play on the first line like him and I'm not sure if he gets power-play time with a team like that. He may, but he is also plus 24. I don't like Plus-Minus unless your in the top ten near the end of the year and...he is.

He is well rounded with goals and assists too, just watched a play he helped create on Brayden Point's first goal tonight and he just looked so comfortable and poised out there, for a rookie.

I also think Nico Hischier should get more love, there is pressure being a #1 but he has done pretty well for himself.

Anyway Gourde looks pretty great and deserves more praise IMO.

You could argue well there are only three nominees and who does he pass, McAvoy, Boeser, or Barzal?

I'd answer everybody else and assuming he has an amazing last quarter of the year and one of the above three slow down it shouldn't be impossible.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Artemi Panarin won the calder over McDavid, Eichel, Ghost, Larkin the list goes on at age 24.

No literally I think he might be too old, there's an age limit I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
No literally I think he might be too old, there's an age limit I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

I believe they have to be younger than 25.

Edit: 26.

In 1990, 31-year-old Sergei Makarov of the Calgary Flames became the oldest player to win the Calder. After that season, the rules for awarding the Calder were amended so that players are eligible only if they were 26 years old or younger by Sept. 15 of their rookie season.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Artemi Panarin won the calder over McDavid, Eichel, Ghost, Larkin the list goes on at age 24.

He's 26, which I believe is what snipes meant. Though he does qualify. Barely.

For the sake of argument: Panarin had a 21 point lead over the 2nd ranked scoring rookie. McDavid missed half of the season with an injury, and Gostisbehere only played 64 games.

With Panarin, age was definitely something people talked about. The thing is, the difference in points was just too large. Gourde doesn't have that argument, so if the voters are going to consider age how does he measure up? Gourde is actually older than Panarin was, but he's tied for 3rd in points with Keller. Who are the voters going to choose? The 26 year old Gourde, or the 19 year old Keller?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad